Stupid prices private sellers and wreakers

Page 1 / 3
hatchback, Aug 4, 7:55am
Some of the second hand prices for parts on trade me are just silly. Im lucky with having pick a part close by but some of these wreckers are just way over the top and some private sellers too. Example, I bought a VP Commie grill for $13 at pick a part and the wreaker around the corner wants $75. Vp headlight $27 PAP, $80 at the wreaker. I expect to pay pick a part prices on here but some sellers just price themselves off the market. I can understand paying top prices for rare stuff but not for mid 90's Aussie stuff.

pebbles61, Aug 4, 7:58am
Some of them are taking the mick aye lol. Some pretty easy to find generic BMC stuff on here is being listed at stupid prices.

It's cheaper to get it from the UK, even with the shipping lol.

mantagsi, Aug 4, 8:00am
I remember going to get a brake master cylinder for a '68 beetle, a car so common and popular that you can still buy every part brand new. Left hand drive master cylinder = $75, right hand drive $300+ ! Ah yes, the car parts game, the original piss-take indeed

friendly_prawn, Aug 4, 8:01am
sorry mate, not trying to be the spelling police here. Not that great myself.
Just being kind.
Wreakers! - wreckers!

hatchback, Aug 4, 8:03am
Yeah I could see that friendly, just couldnt be bothered

extrayda, Aug 4, 8:05am
yep.
wreakers and bumbers are my favourites.
I guess the important thing is that we know what they mean.

franc123, Aug 4, 8:13am
The best way to punish these people is simply not to deal with them, there are plenty of traders who are far more realistic but it takes patience sometimes. I've found many wreckers these days to be downright lazy and won't even bother replying to emails unless you want to spend hundreds with them. Use overseas sources if you have to, those in aussie, usa and uk I've dealt with are generally a pretty cooperative bunch. Yes have seen the BMC parts above being sold by a certain trader, I wonder how dumb and wealthy and yet un web savvy he thinks MM restorers are lol.

smac, Aug 4, 8:21am
Just got a price for a coil pack - NZ new retail somewhere north of $400. Second hand out of a wreck! $300 plus freight thank you very much.

Pfft.NZD$150 incl freight out of UK for new.

shuddupowh, Aug 4, 8:24am
I try undercut wreckers (purposely - to try prove a point) when I sell my parts. I also even say I will beat them if I havent undercut them - still havnt had anyone do it yet. And most wreckers wont explain the correct condition of the items (if theres a few scratches they wont explain it) whereas PAP you see it and Private you can insist (or no sale). I understand they gotta make some kind of margin but the cheaper they sell the parts the faster they fly out the door so the more $ they would have going in their shop etc etc. Makes sense to me.

un_known, Aug 4, 8:33am
im personally sick of dealing with wreckers.its all about attitude, seems like some of them just cant be bothered dealing with me and im just wasting their time.Too many times ive gone looking for a common part for a common car and been told "nah mate dont have any of those" ya gotta wonder if they just cant be arsed going out the back and grabbing it.

Ive found recently that its easier for me to buy brand new parts than try to find used ones.I even got some brand new bolts direct from Japan.

hatchback, Aug 4, 8:36am
I try to give people a bargain as I would want one myself. I run up the arse of an old japper and broke the headlight, grill and bumper of my VP. Total repair for my car was less than $100 excluding paint, got the bumper off here and the others from PAP. A wrecker would have been $250ish, thats a quarter of what the car is worth.

next-to-normal, Aug 4, 8:48am
i love buying my parts from the uk,im so over the rip offs in nz,

mrfxit, Aug 4, 8:48am
Yep I am hearing ya there too.
Can't believe what some ppl want for their parts & even some of those are faulty.
Spotted 1 2L-t long block thats only good for parts & the dude still wanted 2g for it

mrfxit, Aug 4, 8:50am
$35 to $90 for a Surf tail light lens (no base or bulbs)

un_known, Aug 4, 9:14am
yep its sad but sometimes it really is cheaper to import than buy locally.Im all for supporting local businesses but when i can buy what i want from the US at half the price of what it sells for herethen its a no brainer really.With the US dollar being so low recently its been great for importing car parts.

murray55, Aug 4, 9:25am
Buy most parts new from a Euro Parts warehouse in the States .landed to my doorstep , including postage , approx half NZ new prices, or similar to second hand from a wrecker. Only downside is the short wait for the parts. If I do buy second hand it is from private individuals on TM or Pick a Part. Wreckers ask ridiculous prices .how do they stay in business when there are better alternatives !

pollymay, Aug 4, 9:30am
Headgaskets for my maxima. Over $300 here. Got it shipped in 3 days from the US for $150 including shipping, GST, customs etc etc.

And it even came with the exhaust gaskets, stem seals etc, full topend kit. Not even graphite, proper MLS.

ontwowheels, Aug 4, 10:18am
I had to replace a handbrake cable recently, wrecker o here wanted $55 for a second hand part.
New from toyota- 40 plus GST. what a joke,
Also replaced the fuse box on my old VL, I can not remember prices, but I know I purchased a brand new one from holden for less than what wreckers wanted for a secondhand one.

ALWAYS do your research!

n1smo_gtir, Aug 4, 10:48am
and not just car parts are rip offs here in NZ, don't forget the Adidas top saga!

nzfatie, Aug 5, 2:14am
Brakes being spelt as 'breaks' is another popular one!

carclan, Aug 5, 2:39am
Autohaus is the place to go - delt with them alot over the years. About 1/3 of the price including rip off American shipping.

trouser, Aug 5, 3:46am
Suspension components for a vw golf. $300 was the cheapest I could find in NZ. $20 + shipping of $30 from the USA and these were genuine VAG bits.

robotnik, Aug 5, 4:03am
To everyone saying to buy overseas, what about if they send you the wrong part or it fails soon after you install it! Seems like you will be out of luck with an overseas seller.

grangies, Aug 5, 4:04am
If I need 2nd hand parts for an insurance job, I go straight to one of the "Parts Connection" franchises. Parts Connection have virtually all makes and models covered, and the people on the phone are professional and know exactly which part or face-lift variant I need, once I explain it simply to them.

All their parts are guaranteed to be clean and tidy, and if they do have a scruffy one, it is noted and offered for less $$$.

The insurance companies are happy for the repairer to go and deal straight away with the bigger parts dealers, as it usually gets the job done without any fuss, and keeps the customer happy.

For a private job, I will hunt around a bit more to help the customer, but it does take time, which in essence is money.

franc123, Aug 5, 1:22pm
Highly unlikely given most parts for sale on websites are pictured, and if some dimension or bolt size etc is critical it will be mentioned, if you make direct comparisons with what you have there is little to go wrong. If you have any doubts about something you just email and ask, the more special interest you vehicle is the easier it is as you are generally dealing with enthusiasts who know the product inside out, be it Bambina's or Corvettes. They also know often through experience what is good quality and what isn't. Even the more general suppliers seem to have pretty clued up staff who are dealing with international orders. IMO you are far more likely to be supplied crappy and wrong stuff locally, if its immediately available at all.