The Monaro that was on the Rena

Page 3 / 4
sas777, Jul 26, 4:24am
My 2 cents worth.
The yard guys had been talking about the Monaro for weeks.
They persuaded the boilermakers to cut the (insurance write-off) container apart.
This gave them access to power wash and photograph the car.

mizzip, Jul 26, 4:27am
From the owner of the car:
Sad news I'm afraid AM. I have just seen a pic of my monaro and its not good, the container has collapsed on top of the roof of the car and its been underwater, so you were right its a total loss.
Worse still is I have no insurance due to a communication mix up.can this get any worse.

. eeep. No insurance :-/

the_chooky, Jul 26, 4:39am
Yer right, give me a Tui. make up another story we might believe.

mizzip, Jul 26, 4:43am
Huh!

dave653, Jul 26, 4:49am
Hey turkey, go back and read the link.

mizzip, Jul 26, 4:50am
Did he SERIOUSLY think I made that up!

PMSL!

lisah8, Jul 26, 5:04am
I don't even think the Rena hit rocks, it's all a conspiracy by John Key, the photos & TV coverage were all photoshopped and fake *nods*

ghost-roaster, Jul 26, 5:13am
The missingGTS flutes could ofbeen standard guards with aftermarketflutesspot welded inandbogged over.(the caris 40 years old,sotheycould of been replaced) After a yearintheseatheycould of simple rustedout the spot welds and fallen out.Lifeisnota big conspiracy guys.

mizzip, Jul 26, 5:13am
Amen

ghost-roaster, Jul 26, 5:18am
As for themissing Apillar, theyrust out around that areaanywayso thatcould of fallen off. By the looks of things someone has helped themselves to thesteeringwheel.

attitudedesignz, Jul 26, 5:52am
You DO know how 'rust' works aye! A year in the ocean isn't going to THAT much damage rust wise. It's when it's exposed to the air when the damage starts happening.

nathanmac, Jul 26, 5:56am
Also, judging by the rust holes around the back window, this possibly wasn't a great body to start off with - so add a bit of salt water, some pretty mean tidal action then stir it up for a few months and it's easy to see how this would be the result.

Zooming in, it looks as though the remains of the steering wheel might still be there!

I guess the question is, what will happen to the car now!Not really in the same league as the Tulsarama Plymouth, but hopefully it doesn't just go to scrap.Would be an awesome piece of garden art if nothing else!

nathanmac, Jul 26, 6:03am
Do we know where the container was salvaged from yet!May have been one of the ones that was out floating around for a while, or partially submerged/then fully exposed as the tide moved in and out.

Rust may also have occurred if the right contaminants were around.There was an amazing article about a 1929 Model A Cabriolet that was salvaged from a (fresh water) lake in North America after being underwater for about 50 years.They thought it would still be pretty good rust wise, but some discharge from a local factory saw one side of it rusted away.Still, it ran fine after a new carb and distributor was fitted.

Either way that Monaro is stuffed.

richardmayes, Jul 26, 6:08am
This is definitely worth having an argument about on the internet.

gunhand, Jul 26, 6:13am
Why do some people think its been burnt. Burnt out cars look way diff than that.
As for the damage, well did you not see the state of the other containers!
A piller missing is odd. Front glass gone isnt, it would shatter into a million bits unless it was later safety glass in the front. Would take some force to remove front bumper mind you although is that the corner you can see of it!
It could have been rolling over and over for all we know.
Can't explain the missing flutes, unless just bogged in lol.
Yea few odditys for sure but mother nature don't give a toss that it was Monaro.
And no insurance! was that just for the boat ride or none at all.

mizzip, Jul 26, 6:27am
Well I suspect everyone was just suspicious of me, as Im from General and I don't post in here very often

attitudedesignz, Jul 26, 6:33am
Have you learnt nothing in your time here mate! We would argue over what 2 cars would be fastest even if neither had an engine.

johnf_456, Jul 26, 6:39am

ghost-roaster, Jul 26, 7:03am
Ok. you gotme. The Rena is still sailing around and we justmadeup the story to keep everyone offour beaches so we could have them all to ourselves. Asfor the car,it is only a plastic model as Peter Jaskson wanted the real one it to make a new movie of Chitty Chitty Bang Bang.

tractor9, Jul 26, 7:08am
So, where is the lady from the 3G adverts then !

ghost-roaster, Jul 26, 9:19am
In my bedroom waiting for me.

incar., Jul 26, 10:48am
Gezz that looks so Queer!

extrayda, Jul 26, 11:55am
I thought it looked a bit odd too.
If you look at the pictures it almost looks like the front is gone, plus the A pillar, plus the flutes.
I can't imagine anyone bothering to steal these bits, so probably just how the photo looks. The front guard looks quite damaged, so if the flutes were just riveted in and bogged, maybe they popped out.
The other option is that the guy really is insured for the good car, but loaded the container up with an old shitter, then sneakily made the Rena crash and sink so he could commit insurance fraud! I'm sure thats the case ;-)

mizzip, Jul 26, 12:02pm
LOL!Thanks for the giggle!

elect70, Jul 27, 3:44am
I worked onwgtn water frontservicing reefersyears ago , sawquite a few cars unloaded from containers badlybent &rusted , if the ship had a very rough trip & container washigh on deck .The retaining straps inside worked loose.Insurance is tricky, they insure it for trip but the moment its landed itsnull&void . Mate Bought aRR SilverCloud from UKit got a forklift"accidently "driven into the front of it forks at headlight level . Insurance wouldntpay & waterfront stevedore crowdtake no responsibility for damage /loss .