VW Beetle Query.

texastwo, Aug 9, 5:29am
I have a friend with one of these (2001) and she has been told by her garage that she needs a new Airbag computer (presumably the Airbag ECU). I think its just the airbag light on. Does she really need the ECU! isnt this usually just an underseat wiring problem or is a common problem that the ECU fails!

mantagsi, Aug 9, 5:31am
It could be all manner of things. Perhaps she could try going to another mechanic / auto electrician and pay them a nominal fee to run an OBDII scanner (or whatever those beetles use now) and see what codes come up, and have them interpreted. It might shed some light onto it and hopefully save a bit of dough

trogedon, Aug 9, 6:06am
My Beetle (a real aircooled one) has only got an airbag when my mother n law gets in.

taipan4, Aug 9, 6:14am
texastwo, Aug 9, 7:40pm
Bumpity Bump for more opinion.

pauloc, Aug 9, 9:20pm
Poster number two has given you great advice.

drsr, Aug 9, 9:29pm
Seems like a common problem with the underseat wiring anyway: http://volkswagenforum.com/forum/volkswagen-beetle-20/airbag-light-4796/

texastwo, Aug 10, 12:54am
Thanks for that drsr. Airbag lights and underseat wiring seem to bea common problem in lots of cars, was in my Alfa. Never had to buy an ECU tho and I suspect her garage/electrician hasnt looked further than the codes that came up. Or simply decided that a new ECU was the easiest solution. I thought jazz might have made a comment.

tigra, Aug 12, 11:33am
I would definitely get a second opinion. Most of the Airbag lights problems relate to broken wires. Shouldnt need an ECU

intrade, Aug 13, 5:05pm
2001 is a mk4 golf same as bora or jetta. i got the vcds diagnostic thats the only tool you can use to diagnose volkswagen correctly it covers airbag diagnostic and repair via obd 2

intrade, Aug 13, 6:10pm
http://www.ross-tech.com/vcds/tour/main_screen.html
click on the buttons to see how the diagnostics works its a virtual demo of the real thing

nzdoug, Aug 14, 12:23am
The national online vw audi forem guys who,know all are
www.vask.org.nz
Search airbags