Civic 2001 - cam belt or chain?

jandr12, Aug 14, 8:21pm
Hi there how can I tell if my car has a cam belt or chain! Also I am being told by 1 place it needs changing every 5 years if it's cam, and by another every 100kms. Thanks

kazbanz, Aug 14, 8:26pm
The year 2001 civic has a cam belt which needs replacing at least once every 100000km -Some people say 100k or 8 years whichever is sooner
A cam chain you replace when its needed to be replaced.(It starts making a lot of noise) but its FAR from normal for a camchain to need replaceing every 5 years. more likely 10-15 years

thunderbolt, Aug 14, 8:28pm
I would expect it to have a cambelt and 5 yrs or 100km is the recommended replacement interval.
Need to know engine model to be sure.
Your regular mechanic, the place you take it to be serviced will be able to confirm this for you.

jandr12, Aug 14, 8:29pm
Thanks for your reply, it's the civic I have listed in question. I saw some 2001 civics are supposedly chain not cam. I am not sure if my car has been done and a buyer wants me to get it done , do you think it's necessary or should I say no! I have no idea what price id be looking at to get it replaced.

jandr12, Aug 14, 8:31pm
Engine number
D15B-3643157

Thanks

thunderbolt, Aug 14, 8:34pm
D15B, Camelt driven for sure.

Not overly expense to replace either.

jandr12, Aug 14, 8:36pm
Thank you, how much do you think it would cost approx!

kazbanz, Aug 14, 8:53pm
I would personally use it as a way to "close" the sale.
Ok so if I replace the cambelt will you buy the car !
If the answer is yes then get a $500 holding deposit -don't go ahead with the work without cash in hand.
I would be 100% clear as to what you are replacing. Ie just the belt -$400 ish . Belt and tensioners $550 ish or belt tensioners,water pump $800 ish
The other angle would be -"hey why don't YOU organise your mechanic to do the job so you know its been done propperly"

jandr12, Aug 14, 9:21pm
I was thinking more I'd get a quote and then just take it off the sale price, I don't have time to muck around getting a cambelt on the car when other people are keen to view later in the week. thanks for your advice :)

tgray, Aug 15, 1:54am
Unlike most Jappas, that particular car I believe to be due at 80k's or 5 years.

kazbanz, Aug 15, 1:57am
The 02 I just sold (same car) had a sticker saying (In jap) replace at 100k

bryshaw, Aug 15, 5:59am
I had my 2002 replaced 4 years ago and the mechanic said the belts (2) were in perfect condition. Cost $350 then.