Are parts for Opel Astra dearer than other makes

rosewood, Sep 12, 7:46am
Looking at buying a 2001 Opel Astra wagon but have heard that they are dearer to fix than other makes!Neither of us is mechanical at all and don't want to buy something that is expensive to fix.

franc123, Sep 12, 8:11am
Unless you can fix things yourself and have contacts in the UK that can supply you parts at reasonable prices forget it.In short you are looking at the wrong vehicle. Next.

hi-ling, Sep 12, 8:26am
If you buy the Holden dealers yes they are a total ripoff. You can get most comsumables from autoparts stores and anything else from Ebay UK. I've brought over plenty of stuff for the wifes Astra Coupe, and Corsa/Barina. Gets here in about 4-5 days and less than 1/4 price of Holden dealers including freight

thejazzpianoma, Sep 12, 8:46am
Even repco absolutely take the parts on some Opel stuff, like $960 for a $120 MAF Sensor.

Ordering from the U.K is surprisingly easy and cheap but you do have about a weeks wait for things to arrive (Just had a package today, 6 Days to arrive).

However, and I say this as someone who really likes some European vehicles, the Opel's while they can have that quality solid German feel to them often lack in good design and quality control. Just silly things like simple jobs taking much longer than they should, exhaust studs breaking when they shouldn't and being a pig to replace. A bit too prone to blowing head gaskets etc. Some engines have very short timing belt intervals too (3 years).

My advice is carry on looking outside the square, there are a lot of really good European cars that are stupidly cheap in NZ because of the anti anything not Japanese brigade.

My advice would be VW Golf, (with some checks of transmission etc to make sure you get a good one) parts are cheap and easy to get for those (come back for a list of the best suppliers if you get one). Avoid the old Polo though, its not much cheaper and no where near the car.

Otherwise Fiat, The Punto of 2000 and newer is particularly good. It won't feel as solid as the VW or Opel but its actually a very safe car in a crash. Again, if you want one come back for some advice on picking a good one but again service requirements are minimal and parts are easy to get and cheap. If you want a wagon the Fiat Marea with the 1.6 or 1.8 engine are particularly good machines and much nicer to deal with than the Opel.

Both of the above are well galvanised too, some of the Opels actually suffer rust problems which is really unacceptable in this day and age.

Happy shopping.

treachug, Sep 12, 9:27am
Contrary to popular (& often mis-informed belief) Astras arent any dearer than any other car for parts. Regular servicing items are cheap - oil & air filters arent anything special. Your local Holden dealer will be able to supply parts - if you do purchase one - I work at a Rare place in Coleridge Street in Sydenham & am happy to help you with obtaining parts as well. Astras are typical euro, economical, ride & handle well, very safe cars. Biggest thing is cambelts, need doing every 60,000kms, but parts are cheap locally & you dont have to buy overseas to get them.
Sure, I would rather have an Astra over a Vectra & beleive most people tar Astras with the Vectra reliability brush.
Like the misinformed knowledge that exhaust manifold studs break.yes they did but on '96 vectras (studs crystalised) & not Astras. Each to their own & the choice is yours but honestly, you could do far worse than a Astra.

mugenb20b, Sep 12, 10:02am
Parts can be expensive if you source them locally. Nice enough car to drive, good solid feel to them, but not really a car I could recommend to someone who's not mechanically minded.

evotime, Sep 12, 6:02pm
I agree astras are pretty reliable, nothing like the vectra b.

rosewood, Sep 12, 7:25pm
Thank you everyone for your advice, much appreciated!We have decided to look for a Toyota Caldina or something similar, my Dad and sister have both owned one and seem to think they are a good reliable vehicle.Now to find one with three full seat belts across the back!

smac, Sep 12, 8:19pm
*cough* Astra hatch has three belts across the back *cough*

kazbanz, Sep 12, 8:22pm
Honda airwave have 3 l and d belts in the back -jes sayin

intrade, Sep 12, 8:26pm
my mate has had a astra diesel and he could not get a spedometer cable and a outside mirror . Holden are not interested to sell parts they want to sell new cars like ssangyoung agents and all other ripoff artist Dealerships. You can order parts online to your doorstep faster at times then the dealerships let you wait for. For example nissan mistral radiator hose for a diesel a few year ago ordered from nissan whangarei 14 day ex japan only with a sensor built in to hose so there was no other easy way to use generic hoses. I get parts in 12 days to my door unless they hold it up in auckland airport for clearance ex germany with credit card orders online Germans are fast and efficient
Yes toyota are one of the best for parts supply they also make some rubbish cars like estima enemas for example.

intrade, Sep 12, 8:27pm
Reliabilty is in the eye of the beholder in my opinion. mitsubshi are ultra reliable if your happy to have your car not start randomly and or fill water every trip in to the radiator or mess under the bonnet each time you want to go somwhere first. To me reliable is whena car starts every time when i turn the key and it gets me there and back without having to hear wierd noises or it stopping on me for 10 minutes out of the blue. This requires regular consistant servicing no matter the cost of the service items.