Turners auction estimates

jaybee38, Sep 11, 7:49pm
Anyone know roughly how accurate the auction estimates are for Turners! Yes I know it depends on the bidders on the day, but overall, are they fairly accurate or do they keep them low to encourage people to go along and then get caught up in the moment!

barrie2, Sep 11, 8:06pm
Kept low - you go - you bid. not enough so they squeeze another grand out of you as your excitement is high.

intrade, Sep 11, 8:47pm
if they sell your car the estimate is the lowest possibile. if they sell there cars its the highest possibile to maximize there profits.

carclan, Sep 11, 9:04pm
Don't deal with them full stop.

jaybee38, Sep 11, 11:55pm
Why not!
To clarify, Im talking about when they have a car coming up at auction and they advertise what they expect to get for it.

tigra, Sep 12, 3:40am
The figures they put are usually the expected starting bid

texastwo, Sep 12, 3:48am
#6 Not quite but its failrly noticeable that they expect the range they state will be thebidding range. often they have to go lower to get a start bid. But its 99% certain that their reserve its towards the top end of the specified $ range. Suggest the OP goes along a couple of times and keeps notes.

groverg, Sep 12, 4:10am
make sure you're aware of the buyers fees.
http://www.turners.co.nz/About/Pages/Fees.aspx

fordcrzy, Sep 12, 4:52am
ive found that the reserve was the LOWER end of the range but all in all the range is pretty accurate indicator of what itill drive away for.

floscey, Sep 12, 5:11am
be carefull .Get it checked .probably has a fault and best place to flick them on is at the auction.

nzfatie, Sep 12, 8:23am
Exactly.with the planned consumer law changes you'll have more protection buying a car online through TradeMe, than at a physical auction place like Turners.

susannaqt, Sep 12, 8:31am
The expected purchase price for my car was 13,000. i took it home for 6,000 simply cos no one else wanted it on the day.18mths later it is still a fantastic buy. just never can tell ;)

megeniscool, Sep 13, 12:19am
I took my BMW to Turners to either auction or sell to them. They told me my car was worth $3000. I then took it to a proper car dealership to find out what it is valued at for them to buy outright from me - they advised between $6000 - $6700.
Turners only want to make money and screw you over.
BMW is for sale on here and going very cheap :)

lazzo, Sep 13, 12:31am
If your car has a value of $6000 - $6,750 then why are you asking $4,500! You are pitching it closer to Turners price than you are your "valuation". Of course what you ask and what you get are two different things, you're likely to end up with a figure much closer to turners price, in this instance I think Turners are pretty close to correct.

trdbzr, Sep 13, 12:59am
Nice try. But I don't think many people on here are going to fall for it.

tazcsv, Sep 13, 1:06am
So why didnt the dealership buy it outright from you! If they said its worth over 6k then they would have offered around the price your asking!

tigra, Sep 13, 1:09am
You must have struck a very offday or tired auctioneers.With that sort of differencethe normal response is to put it away for another day. I feel sorry for the vendor, unless it was Turners own stock.

tigra, Sep 13, 1:11am
They would have wanteda bigger mark-up

kcc55a, Sep 13, 1:16am
I've been toa huge number of Turners auctions andusually write downthe start bids and sold (if) prices and have noticed that the Reserve is always closer to the top of the suggested range than the bottom. Seldom seen them sell much below the suggested range and never ever as low as#12 says. Somebody could have been fired for that.or there was a very good non-disclosed reason.

kwkbrk, Sep 13, 4:38am
Many years ago I took a mint XF Aussie assembled Fairmont wagon to Turners . and was told to expect to get $3k for it.
Took it to a dealer who sold it on behalf and got $12k for it, and who kept $2k.