How to run a Dutch auction on TM

trade4us2, Nov 5, 1:36am
I'd like to advertise a car at a certain price then reduce the price every week or so until it's sold. But a Classified doesn't seem to allow changes after a week to the heading which I want to contain the price. Or I could have an auction that expires every week then I lower the start price. As long as I can relist without paying new fees, but I'm not clear about that either.

saxman99, Nov 5, 1:59am
Yes you can relist an auction with a lower start price for free.

trade4us2, Nov 5, 3:13am
Obviously I'd want the buyer to be able to inspect the car before bidding.
There seems to be no way for a buyer to do that in an auction, and TM Help says "Listings should not include any contact details, except where asked for in the listing process." I don't understand what that means. Can anyone spell that out in other words! Like WHAT can be done. I have seen auctions with contact details.
I'd rather use the Contact the Seller option of a Classified, so I don't have to put an email address or phone number.
Could TM please rewrite all the Help so it's together!

bellky, Nov 5, 3:16am
^ "But a Classified doesn't seem to allow changes after a week to the heading which I want to contain the price."

Maybe not the heading but what about the optional subheading, can that be changed each week!

bellky, Nov 5, 3:18am
General items that are free to list do not allow contact details, paid listings like vehicles do however allow contact details.

NZTools, Nov 5, 11:43pm
Anyone who works out you are dropping the price every week, will sit back and see how low you go.

You would be better off starting low and increasing the price every week. At least that way you wont get screwed.
Also you can put your contact details in a car auction so people can arrange a viewing.

freedomaira320, Nov 6, 1:18am
That's exactly how a Dutch auction works. Trade Me isn't set up for them, but I imagine they could be effective.

smac, Nov 6, 1:44am
That's the whole plan. The theory being that people will jump when the price reaches the maximum they are prepared to pay, so as not to miss out, because unlike a normal auction there isn't a second chance (i.e. bid higher).

Works very well if you have two or more wanting it.

nightboss, Nov 6, 1:59am
Wasn't there an old mid 70's Toyota Sprinter that sold recently after some kind of Dutch Auction!
Prices varied over about 20 auctions from 1 million Yen from a ficticous museum down to it being sold (assuming money did change hands) for a $5050 recently.

Good luck, Trade4us2.

trade4us2, Nov 6, 7:06am
This is an unusual car. I have no idea what it's worth, and I don't want it to go for a low price without enthusiasts seeing it. There's nothing wrong with it. I just need a stationwagon to cart stuff around and that I can park anywhere without being keyed.

ryanm2, Nov 6, 7:42am
why not list it for $0 or near offer - see how much interest there is,then offer it to interested parties. You can then keep it listed for as long you want.
If you start your classified to high in price its an instant turn off for most, and most will just think you are a complete w**nker.