Taking out the rear seats of a van

barrylarry, Jan 19, 8:31am
will it pass Wof if you convert an family van into a cargo van! you know, just leave the front 2 seats and remove all the kiddie seats behind to make room for cargo and deliveries

annie17111, Jan 19, 8:34am
Yep should be sweet.

msigg, Jan 19, 8:38am
Yes thats' fine.

gammelvind, Jan 19, 9:03am
Converted an Estima to a camper, removed rear seats and also the seatbelts. No probs getting wof.

ml6989, Jan 19, 9:06am
I think you will find that if the vehicle is registered as a 7 seater passenger vehicle, then the vehicle inspector will, if he is wise, be looking for 7 seats and 7 seatbelts. If you are lucky it may 'slip the net' but the answer to your question is, in my opinion, no. Effectively you are trying to use it as a goods vehicle and it should be registered as such.

dunwoody, Jan 19, 8:03pm
Thats right . If it is registerd sas a seven seater it has to have seven seats and belts. When I take my Surfari for its wof I put the back seats back inbefor and then take them out after the test, otherwise no W O F.

gizmsme, Jan 19, 8:26pm
Hang on though, these people are only trying to get a WOF, not change the vehicle classification!If at the time the seats and seatbelts aren't fitted, they cant be checked so it shouldn't be a problem, the mounts are still in place.
There are many estimas doing the rounds as campers, both private and as business vehicles, and i'm guessing all have WOF's!

ml6989, Jan 19, 8:33pm
Your observations about Estimas are probably correct, but that does not mean the vehicles comply with regulations. Are you a WOF inspector or an "observationist"!

sandypheet, Jan 19, 8:37pm
O P,what sort of vehicle is it!

frytime, Jan 19, 8:39pm
it will be inspected as presented, with or without seats. if no seats take belts out

chris.kingston, Jan 19, 8:42pm
Did this with my 8 seater HiAce. Ran it as a work van for 7 years and never had a problem with getting a WOF

xs1100, Jan 19, 9:01pm
i would keep all the belts and seats to one side tho because when its time to sell a van with seats is a better seller

barrylarry, Jan 20, 12:00am
its a town-ace

gizmsme, Jan 20, 2:30am
I'm a realist!I dont need some stupid book to tell me what's logic and what isn't. can think for myself!Try it!

stevo2, Jan 20, 8:07am
A mate took the seats out of his van and failed the WoF. He was told to remove the seatbelts and it would pass.

v8mad2, Jan 20, 8:41am
I'm a WOF inspector and all we have to do is inspect it to make it is safe,the fact that it has no rear seats or seat belts has nothing to do with the safety of it.You could go and change the class of it but WOF inspectors have no way of checking if it has been done or not.

beblowin, Jan 20, 8:59am
at least someone knows what there talking aboult on here, well said and done.

gizmsme, Jan 20, 9:03am
The warrant of fitness system has become more about statistics than anything else of late, and is now nothing more than another "tax" on motorists in NZ.There is far too much room for inspector "interpretation" of the rules and it has just become a joke.
I can import a vehicle, put it through "the system' and get it complied, then once that's done remove the seats and belts and it should always warrant fine, always has the past with both the vans I own.The reason being that at warrant time the inspector can only inspect what is presented.
I can remove these parts just as people have removed lights that don't operate (park and secondary high stops) and spare wheels for as many years as I can remember.Still, in saying that, the system is now so flawed and money orientated, perhaps that's all changed too.
I'm sure for myself and anyone else who chooses to think and not buy into the hype Murph and the ones who take our money throw at us, the sooner this rip of a system is gone, the better!

gizmsme, Jan 20, 9:11am
A mate of mine went through similar with the old terrano's and their notorious rust around the seatbelt anchor points under the rear seat squabs, very difficult if not impossible to change the classification. Far easier to just remove the seat and all mounts and weld up the seatbelt mounts. This vehicle has now been getting wof's for several years with no problem.

elect70, Jan 21, 3:35am
I took them out of my discoWOfmansaid I had to remove the seatbelts too. Had tomake bungs up for thefloorbolt sockets so didntprotrude &catch on anything & provide water proof seal