Late model Falcon Wagon or Commodore for towing

jason18, Mar 1, 11:55pm
What your recommendations be for a late model towing wagon. Will be around 07-09 BF ford or ex police Wagon 07-09. SO Commy will have the upspec engine, suspension! Will be towing a 2 ton Cherry picker. Will only be looking at these two wagons. So only opinions on this please

Cheers Guys.

franc123, Mar 2, 12:17am
Falcon for several reasons, torquier engine and leaf spring rear end being the main ones, is also available with a higher rated HD towpack which you should fit if it hasn't got it, the std bars are only about 1600kg from memory. Holden IRS is crap for constant towing unless you fit rock hard springs in the back, the back wheels just splay out and chew tyres if you don't, although FE2 suspension in an ex police MAY be a bit better than standard.

vtecintegra, Mar 2, 12:24am
I assume you mean the last of the VZ wagons!

Personally I think the Commodore is a much nicer car, but for your usage go with the Falcon for the reasons above

lazzo, Mar 2, 12:42am
Falcon is a better tow wagon.

monaro17, Mar 2, 2:33am
Don't even bother comparing the VZ to the BF, the Ford BF is far better than the VZ. If it is a VE Holden the it is a closer race.

clark20, Mar 2, 2:44am
For towing I would go the Ford (and I have a Commodore). Just put a really good trans cooler in it.

unbeatabull, Mar 2, 5:53pm
Drive a Holden first - I've found them really bland and lacking in character compared to the Falcon (Other then HSV models etc) and interior really bland too.

I'd say you're already familiar with the Falcon - main thing just the trans cooler and regular trans and diff servicing if your going to be regularly towing.

jason18, Mar 2, 7:32pm
Cheers guys, Yes will be fitting a trans cooler like I did on my AU. Biggest mistake I did on my BA was not fitting a trans cooler!

jason18, Mar 2, 9:44pm
Ok an 06 XT BF are those still the 4 speed trans!

lazzo, Mar 2, 10:48pm
The wagons never got the 6 speed

jason18, Mar 3, 12:56am
Oh true bugger! All good tho.

electromic, Mar 3, 2:00am
Falcon for towing because of suspension set up and engine torque. Use a large trans cooler and good servicing as above posters have said.I was told by ford dealer that the BA didn't need a trans cooler when I was going to buy one as a tow vehicle for a 2000kg caravan.

clark20, Mar 3, 6:28am
You must be talking about pre-VE, and I agree with you

mike77, Mar 3, 7:07am
BF's should already have a seperate trans cooler,
If your going from your AU, I feel the BA / BF wagon (had both) rear springs are quite a bit softer than the older falcons we had once they were loaded up, so personally I'ld fit either load hogs, or poly bags or similar if you were placing a bit of weight on the back axle.

jason18, Mar 3, 7:32am
Ok cheers guys. Ended up scoring a mint 06 BF falcon for 5k. Will take it for a whirl with the cherry picker and see what its like

lazzo, Mar 3, 7:38am
Bargain!

jason18, Mar 3, 7:56am
Yeah bloody stoked mate! Good upgrade from the AU. Be good to have the extra power and economy

unbeatabull, Mar 3, 9:29am
Yup Pre-VE I found really bland. I drove a base spec VE which wasn't that inspiring either, but the higher up packages were much on par with Ford. The HSV's are certainly a bit more racy then the FPV but then the F6 is just so much fun to drive compared to both the HSV and the GT.