To SUV or 2WD wagon!

Page 1 / 2
absolute5, Nov 30, 9:23pm
I am looking for a used vehicle with good of luggage space, comfortable driving in a substantial feeling vehicle ie not 'plastic-feeling', economical as i'm going to be circumnavigating NZ twice a year so low kms (ideally under 60 thou)Ive looked @ Nissan Murano, great, size, good to drive but worry at the 3.5 V6 being a guzzler, Holden Captiva - to lightweight and plastic feeling, Toyota Rav - all good except really uncomfortable headrest pushing your head way to far forward- couldn't stand long hours with that!Then considered Holden commodore wagon except cartons I will be carrying will block rear view!Looking at owning for only a couple of years, as I've just taken on this business and HUGELY in debt, so this will be the 'make do' vehicle until I can afford better (ie Prado!) Spend 20-25k! With 2004 bmw 320i to trade.Your opinions please as i'm going round in circles without clear direction!

mm12345, Nov 30, 9:41pm
A van with side and rear doors might be the best - if there's cartons of stuff you need to get at frequently.
Circumnavigating NZ twice a year isn't huge km, probably less than many people do commuting to work each day, so I'd suggest you consider ramping down any expectation that limousine style comfort/luxury is a priority, but access to and organising storage space conveniently might become a big deal.

kazbanz, Nov 30, 9:46pm
I agree with MM. FORGET cool or stylish. Actually frankly forget its a car and think more of it as a tool of your trade. On that basis think how its going to be used MOST of the time then also think if the company remains the same (little growth)and if it grows so perhaps delivery duties are passed elsewhere.
Also You probably want to look at your REAL budget. Ie the cash available and what the 320 will actually fetch. -This controls your budget which may control the range of vehicles

db.price, Nov 30, 9:49pm
Why not something like a later model Subaru Forrester or Legacy!Both great cars, all wheel drive and good space for stock, luggage etc.Both pretty good on the fuel too (as long as you get non-turbo models).

db.price, Nov 30, 9:51pm
Agree with above as well if you need a lot of space - a van may be a better option and most of the later models are as comfortable to drive as a car

absolute5, Nov 30, 10:02pm
Thanks for you comments and yes I have looked at vans, but maybe too much space plus being 6ft tall the driving position in a van for long periods isn't good.I agree it is a tool of my trade and functional, however as I'm in the fashion industry where image is key selling point i'd rather not pul up in a hiace.Space wise looking at 3 suitcases, plus 3 big house moving size box's of samples, plus mobile office (printer.laptop stationery) plus personal suitcase. So as mentioned perhaps a van is overkill on size!My real budget.thinking 320 is worth 15k! Then thought I'd add another 10k to get my vehicle, prefer not to go car yard as they'll give wholesale vale on my trade

likit, Nov 30, 10:08pm
With a Commodore use your side mirrors to see,how do you think truckies get on!

gusthe1, Nov 30, 10:13pm
Where abouts is the luggage space in a Rav or a Murano. Couldnt fit a cat in either let alone swing it.

vtecintegra, Nov 30, 10:37pm
Yeah that one has me scratching my head too

absolute5, Nov 30, 10:44pm
Lay the back seats down and plenty of luggage space in Murano, possibly a bit less in Rav - but gone off them due to headrest position as above.Yes had an Acclaim wagon and it was great - and yep used my side mirrors too, so perhaps if thats my only issue then wagon rather than SUV!Mind you I wan't paying the fuel and the 3.6 V6 was slurping thru the juice.i'm not a nana driver when you need power its there. Hmmm so having said that perhaps the smaller engine MAKES me be economical!

pge, Nov 30, 10:50pm
With THAT load, you would be hard-pressed to have to drop the rear seat down in a Commodore - and, I have one (VN) atm.I am also over 6ft, so, no probs spacewise.

When I was a young'un, I used to cover the South Is. plus Welly, on a 6-week cycle, in a HQ car with more than that in it.

You could also go in another direction, with a people-mover;strip the rear seats out, fit hanging-racks, leave the jumpseats (for your office) you then have a mobile showroom.

Good luck.

vtecintegra, Nov 30, 10:51pm
Have you actually put some luggage in a Murano! Pretty sure there isn't any more depth to the luggage bay than there is in a Commodore.

The vehicle may be tall but the floor is high too - the passenger compartment itself isn't much if any taller than a car.

mm12345, Nov 30, 11:37pm
OK - I'm going to launch into business advisor mode here:
Your real customers really aren't going to care a rat's bum what you turn up in, as it adds no value to them at all.The only exception to this is when a vehicle is signwritten, has a high profile, and exposes the brand you're selling.The sales assistants in a fashion store might turn up their noses if they don't like your vehicle, but they don't sign your orders - the manager/owner does, and his/her priorities aren't going to be influenced by the "prestige value" of what you drive, unless you turn up in a farm ute with haybales on the back, or in other ways just looks slovenly, dirty, or inappropriate.
What they're going to want to see is that you're organised, you turn up at the right time, you've got the right samples with you, and the samples look good, not having been crushed in cartons or cases, rummaged through dozens of times. When you get knocked back by a customer on a product sample you've taken to show them, and you suddenly realise you've got exactly what they do want - sitting in the the bottom of one of the boxes or suitcases - but you can't remember which one - then you've got a problem."I'll be back in half an hour with the sample" won't do.If you're going to succeed, then you're going to have to make decisions on your feet, and you do not want obstacles in your way.
Depending on what you're selling, it might be a good idea to keep things hanging in a rack - so at least you're showing it to the customer in the sort of state they might want to display it in their store.If doing this, beware sunlight - apparel fabrics can fade fast, so you might want to black-out windows - also not a bad idea for security.
A hiace type vehicle is probably exactly what you do need - even if it's not what you want.

absolute5, Dec 1, 12:31am
Thankyou level-headed and sensible mm.I hear what you are saying so lets tick them off; punctuality is crucial - hence i show my 'range' in motels and make appointments with owner/managers, my samples are spotless and those of fabric; silk, wool, modal are folded after each showing and kept in suitcase =protection. Items not of fabric are in triple corrugated sided box's, again perfect quality samples =sales.Hanging to display is an excellent idea an done i'm toying with perhaps a single bar fitted across over back seat area, therefore absolutely darkest tint I can get it a must.There are times I have to 'show' instore, so ease of maneuvering vehicle into parks is helpful.In reality i'm going to be 'living out of this vehicle & motels for up to 10 weeks per year; do I want it cumfy drive! Yes.Economical! Yes.Stylish!Yes. Functional! Yes.Does the Hiace fit this criteria! Um i'm struggling here. Now if i had an open chequebook I'd go X5 or Q7, but I don't thats why I'm struggling to know what to look for!

vtecintegra, Dec 1, 12:34am
Well the Hiace fits 2/4 and your other choices also fit 2/4 (the other 2).

Choose whichever is more important.

Edit: there are of course other choices - I'd say a Passat wagon (for instance) fits everything, but then style is subjective.

absolute5, Dec 1, 12:34am
When I was a young'un, I used to cover the South Is. plus Welly, on a 6-week cycle, in a HQ car with more than that in it.

How many kms per year were you clocking up doing this run!in a past life I was covering top half of south island every fortnight, doing 4500 - 5000 km per month, so around 55 000kms/year

absolute5, Dec 1, 12:44am
Would you suggest a VW Passat over say a commodore or falcon wagon!

mm12345, Dec 1, 12:44am
I said "hiace type" vehicle.I don't know what the most sutable/economical/comfortable-
van type vehicles are these days.I do know people who have been in the trade, and have used toyota "previa" type people-movers with rear seats out.So not something resembling an old courier van, but still good hanging height.
If it's your own business, check with an accountant - a new or near new lease vehicle might be the best way to go.

vtecintegra, Dec 1, 12:48am
Depends on whether you consider it more stylish/prestigious (seems to be a big deal here).

They're certainly nicer to spend a lot of time in, at least in my opinion

absolute5, Dec 1, 12:59am
Ok thanks, i will broaden my 'wotif' makes/models

vtecintegra, Dec 1, 1:01am
If I were you I'd grab a typical load and see what type of vehicles it fits comfortably in.

Don't assume an SUV style body means more room because often the opposite is true.

chris_051, Dec 1, 1:03am
VW transporter, factory alloys and tints, black or silver, looks bloody sharp for a van.

pge, Dec 1, 2:05am
Memory has dulled somewhat, but I seem to think that it was between 30thou miles and 50thou miles.

Canty plains/Dunedin or Nelson/Marlb was about 6-700 miles, but Southland/Central/West Coast was about 1500-1800 miles, over two weeks.Looks like I averaged about 800miles per week -- plus, of course, I worked face-to-face full days.

Most travel was planned in early morn, or late at night.Many's the time I would arrive home at midnight on Fridays.

No wonder THAT marriage fell over.

Welly was fitted-in when poss, sometimes from Nelson, more often catch the ferry from Lyttelton Sunday night, land Welly Mon am, work area up toKapiti, catch ferry back to Lytt. Friday night, home Sat am.

Good luck with your vocation.

As an aside, the fashion reps used XJ6 Jags then as their preferred vehicle - pose/image/style was all the rage.

mm12345, Dec 1, 4:49am
Aaahhh - those were the days, Twiggy, the Beatles, Rolls Royce suing rock stars for painting their cars pink, airlines selected slim good-looking hostesses who looked after you, clothes were actually made in the UK, France, Italy. even here.
The OP wants an Audi Q7 or BMW X5!
OMG, german "prestige" is about precision engineering - it might be appropriate for an underwired bra salesman, but "fashion"!
German style and fashion has only one thing going for it - it's a step ahead of their sense of humour.I don't think the OP's in the Lederhosen business.It's a tiny market here.
I wish the Jazzpianoma was here.What's obviously needed is a French or Italian vehicle.
Sub note - my SO was product manager for a top french fashion house, Pacific area HO in Sydney.They all drove Fords or Holdens, even the CEO.

asa50, Dec 1, 5:23am
Gotta agree with Jazz before he posts, Volkswagen Touran, drives ok, comfortable (I am 6"4). Around town more economical. Either that or a big Aussie wagon