Audi Avant 4 station wagon or BMW station wagon!

qugene, Dec 3, 3:47am
Which is the better, mechanically, to consider buying!both 8 yrs old with similar klms, and same specs.

rsr72, Dec 3, 3:49am
BMW better to service.-what models!

qugene, Dec 3, 3:52am
Just doing the research at the mo.So any advice would be good:)Audis have better interior design, much more appealing to the eye than a BMW. I like things to look nice:)

rsr72, Dec 3, 4:21am
BMW a superior driver's car in my opinion, superb reliability, easier and cheaper to service, more 'sporty', excellent interior design and ergonomics.
As with everything, model and level of equipment is important.

qugene, Dec 3, 4:27am
BWM sales person!:) What model would you recommend. 20K value, I buy a car every year through a private sale and then sell before I buy a another. I like value for money and good resale is a must.

trogedon, Dec 3, 5:40am
Toyota or Nissan wagon for the win.

twink19, Dec 3, 6:36am
BMW

vtecintegra, Dec 3, 6:50am
BMW station wagons are comparatively difficult to find especially in the good specs

chris_051, Dec 3, 7:10am
E39 530i touring late model hard to beat, awesome cars even though they were a mid 1990s product, from memory when the E60 came out in 02 a few motoring publications still rated the out going E39 as a class leader.

unclejake, Dec 3, 11:52am
You have failed to answer the question regarding what years, engines and fuel types you are considering. You have little hope of getting meaningful advice without more information.

You say eight years old and $20k so I will guess at a 2003 3.0 petrol A4 Avant. For a start - they aren't worth that and they have unsightly interior wear issues. The quattro is much better to drive on the open road than RWD BMW equivalent though

trogedon, Dec 3, 6:45pm
You want value for money yet you lose money every year changing cars!! (yes, I'm presuming you never make on the deals).

wasser61, Dec 3, 7:16pm
BMW and Reliability are two words that do not go in the same sentence.

cantab1971, Dec 3, 7:18pm
Beamer.

rovercitroen, Dec 3, 9:29pm
Crap.

vtecintegra, Dec 3, 10:21pm
I don't agree with that at all - AWD only comes into its own in bad conditions, the rest of the time the BMWs generally have the nicer chassis.

You can get AWD BMWs but they are comparatively few and far between

richard198, Dec 4, 9:46am
That's the model I'd go for as well. For $20K, you can even get a 2001 m sport version

vtecintegra, Dec 4, 11:02am
I don't think its worth spending that much on an E39 - may as well go for an earlier one for <10k

edangus, Dec 4, 11:08am
BMW - Audi is Nice, but I would not buy one.

wasser61, Dec 4, 12:04pm
The same as Rover, Citroen, Peugeot and Renault

bmwnz, Dec 4, 5:36pm
Imo, the E39 is the best of the old Bimmers.