Completing Auction?

360ride, Oct 24, 12:08pm
Hi. I'm looking to bid on a car and if I win, go to pick it up, put it through an AA test and the car has things wrong with it that the seller won't disclose, am I able to walk away and not go through with payment?

noswalg, Oct 24, 12:11pm
You should be doing all that before you bid, if you when the auction you own it, unless you have specific agreement with the seller.

tony9, Oct 24, 8:26pm
No. Not unless the car is not as advertised. Ask questions well ahead of auction close and get car checked before bidding.

kazbanz, Oct 24, 8:52pm
The generic answer is NO. By bidding on an auction you are making an UNCONDITIONAL offer to purchase the vehicle.ALL testing of the vehicle needs to be done before auction close. you can assume that all cars selling by auction run under that rule.
Thinking about it why would anyone allow a total stranger to take their car away with no payment? Given you are auction winner the under bidder most likely wont be wanting an inspection.
If you want a PP inspection then I'd suggest looking at Classified adverts instead of auctions.
ALL THAT SAID -You MIGHT find someone willing to allow an inspection on the vehicle after auction close on the grounds its to confirm the car is as described. -But that's something to discuss with the specific vendor BEFORE placing a bid

mainlander05, Oct 24, 11:02pm
Although,if the car doesn't meet the cga rules,ie not fit for purpose as in mechanical faults not described,you do have some legal grounds for actions.however if you bid you own.you don't bid on the right to have a vehicle inspection after the auction.you bid to buy.
Good luck with your purchase.

gammelvind, Oct 25, 4:46am
If it is a private auction as versus a dealer then the CGA doesn't apply.

tamarillo, Jan 2, 10:21am
You can come to agreement prior with seller. I'm bidding on condition it checks out to be as described. Not many sellers would agree but you could ask.
Generally, as said, checks need to be done prior.