What did you used to do in the workshop for a bit

Page 1 / 2
beetle1234, Jun 11, 8:37am
of Friday nite humour ,I used to send axle wheel bearings down the road with the air gun,good at night with the spark,s, also Tee off the workshop with a golfclub over to the local golf course(Maori hill) the foreman blew the neighbour,s window out but hey he laughed an we fixd it. Blow innertube,s up,or fill em up with the bomb (gas thorch). what fun did you have?

stevo2, Jun 11, 8:57am
Sparkplug brazed onto a piece of copper tube, filled with acetylene and tape the end. Hook up to a plug lead on a workmates car and wait till he turns the starter motor. Big BANG. Works just as well on a motorbike, (especially kick start models)
Spud gun made with PVC tube and Lynx or Paslode gas used as the propellant.

poppajn, Jun 11, 9:07am
Put the gastorch in the apprentice's back pocket and turn on the acetylene, then light a match, blew his pant's off, just left the belt tags, no burn's,

henreitta, Jun 11, 9:23am
superglue a 50c coin to the footpath outside workshop, see how many people try and pick it up,,

tamarillo, Jun 11, 8:48pm
Jeez you'd been more than 50c to get even a kid to bend over wouldn't you?

dublo, Jun 11, 9:52pm
Amongst our family history legends there is the story of a father and son who in the 1920s obtained the cardboard core of a newsprint roll, filled it with gunpowder, fitted a long fuse and took it out into the Southland countryside in their model T Ford and planted it next to a farmer's fence post. They lit the fuse and smartly exited the scene.
There was a report in the papers a day or two later about a mysterious crater appearing where once was a fence.

bjmh, Jun 12, 1:09am
Friday night beers ,we got the foremans scooter . block and tackled it to the apex of the roof gable ,tied it to the beam . hid the chain block and went home. dunno how he got it down.Another night we had a new V6 capri, so did skids in the showroom,was a bit hard to stop before going thru the plate glass window.Monday morning we had to revarnish the wooden floor. oops.

bwg11, Jun 12, 1:24am
We simply used 1.5 plastic soft drink bottles with an old sparkplug screwed into the neck.

bwg11, Jun 12, 1:41am
Apologies to those who have seen this as it circulated several years back:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MPolRUz3_qo

jrlaw, Jun 12, 1:45am
Spun a rear wheel bearing off a mk 1 Zephyr, dropped it on the workshop floor, it took off, up the ramp past the office through the showroom and exited to the road, Rangitikei Street in Palmerston North. Could not catch up with it was too fast for me. Jacked up the Foremans V 8 car put stones in the hub cap, he went to leave, the wheel spun and the stones rattled, he thought he had broken his diff gear. We were not popular for sure. "O" those where the days.

poppajn, Jun 12, 1:55am
Was'nt in the w/s, but when a friend that had a VW got married we filled the hubcaps with stones, not the brightest move because the wee one's went through the adjustment holes in the drum's and jammed the brakes on.

bjmh, Jun 12, 2:10am
The first day of my apprenticeship . 15 yrs old. ,a mechanic is showing me how to clean and test spark plugs. we get to the bit where the plug is screwed into the tester ready for the high voltage test.He says "you hold this connector and hold onto the top of the spark plug,while I press the button".I couldn't lift my arm above my waist for about 2 hours.

dublo, Jun 12, 2:57am
Trainees in hospital labs would be sent to the stores with requisitions for some fallopian tubes.
I guess apprentices in lots of occupations got these sorts of jokes played on them.

beetle1234, Jun 12, 5:38am
NO offence mate but the catholic preist did. lol

beetle1234, Jun 12, 5:43am
. mate FAFk. A teacher at high school Greyhigh had an old magneto that he put monies in the bottom of a fishtank,get ya to try and grab it an then crank when ya got close. No wonder I,ve got curly hair.

lookoutas, Jun 12, 6:17am
After a heading like that, my answer would be.

Work at night and invite them to visit.

beetle1234, Jun 12, 6:36am
We had a rep who alway,s lock,d his wagon up by the diesel pump,sweet as but it was in front of the air pump and as one know,s one had to check the tyres of those who asked(part of the service back then), so I finally got pissed off with getting him to move it. (.imagine checking tyre,s in a shitty dunedin wet snowy southerly). soooo I blew his tyre,s up to 90lb,whipped out the valves and just put the dust caps back on.@ 2 blocks down the road,bugga. He spat the tack but he never parked there again but we got him in various way,s again.

bjmh, Jun 12, 8:35pm
We had an insurance rep who would always show up at smoko time and park in the doorway,we got a small jack and jacked up the left rear . just enough for the wheel to turn,we managed to convince him that the reason his Anglia wouldn't go anywhere in reverse. it had broken an axle. it would cost heaps.Eventually the boss put him out of his misery and let the jack down. he never parked there again.

tulip17, Jun 12, 10:23pm
Uncle use to work for BOC and scored some dry ice that he paced in a 2L coke bottle with water and placed on the floor of his skyline garage and closed the door - we waited in anticipation then - KA BOOOM ! Bloody hell it was literally like a bomb going off :)
Another time same uncle for his sons birthday had blown up a
dishwashing glove with helium drew a face on it - fingers were like a mow-hawk - looked great as it swung in the breeze tethered from the fence.
Half way through the party he walked out with sheets of tin foil and tied them to the string of the home-made faced balloon then let it go skyward - we all smiled as it gained altitude and headed towards the Christchurch airport.

henreitta, Jun 14, 8:56am
Yeah, probably need a $2, coin these days

fordcrzy, Jun 14, 9:13am
Fill up the bosses rollercab toolbox with small polystyrene packing foam balls kinda like beanbag stuffing.

jrlaw, Jun 14, 9:14am
Young lad sent to the painters for a can of stripped paint, painter had seen it all before so put in a can a wee bit of this and that paint, gave it a gentle stir, said to the lad when you get to the workshop lease the lid get a paint brush and wow there is the stripped paint. Great laugh all round for sure.

bigfatmat1, Jun 15, 6:39am
My boss in the first few days of ever starting work. Put a glowplug in a jar of oil then connected it up under my bonnet to starter field. When I tried to start my car smoke everywhere. I hooked the young lads horn up to his brake lights. Auto 45 min drive home he was mad.

berg, Jun 15, 7:22am
CRC down the "boys" scooter muffler, Acetelene bomb lightbulbs (NEVER teact the apprentice that one), V8 driveshaft tube gasplant tennis ball launcher (still think a few are orbiting earth somewhere), go karts in the workshop, sweepstake when blowing up removed engines etc etc

bwg11, Jun 14, 9:16am
Lost money on that one. Had a 410 Bluebird, I bet it could not last 30 minutes. Bloody thing is probably still going somewhere, Dropped a couple valves, then settled down to run at about 3000 rpm forever.