Commonrail vw diesel and how it functions

Page 1 / 2
intrade, Jun 22, 5:19am

intrade, Jun 22, 5:33am
page 60 onwards, applys to any diesel anything euro 4 upwards has at least a cat and a dpf this has a cat dpf and a secound cat . my euro 3 2001 vw only has a "nox -cat" ts txreemly comperahensive this free document.
nothing enters new zealand not meeting euro 4 minimum unless its older then 20 years including toyota diesel whom also have dpf and cat there simply is no other way to meet euro 4 standards.
removal of dpf is illegal and causes cancer from the nanoparticle exiting the exhaust untrated way more then large sooth particular matter you can see on older diesel , these get trapped in your mucus in the nose not so the nano ones from modern diesel

thejazzpianoma, Jun 22, 5:45am
Great document, thanks intrade.

sas777, Jun 22, 6:07am
Yep, agree. I read it all through.
The drive for the second camshaft, is that VW's answer to the Vanos system?

tony9, Jun 22, 6:42am
Can I use a "Customer-Initiated Regeneration
Drive" as a defense for exceeding the speed limit?

rctr, Jun 22, 7:11am
Intrade, what are the benefits of using piezo injectors over solinoid injectors? Mitsi for example use both; 4m41 and 4d56 use solenoid and have max opp pressure of 180 mpa, as does 4n13 with opp pressure of 200 mpa. However the other 2 cr diesels use piezo and also run 200 mpa

intrade, Jun 22, 7:32am
piezo is faster respons then a injector with electro magnetic field induction. problems are different the piezo can cause fail fast vw have the electro magnetic ones on the diesel i have unit injector 1.9 and the piezo injector on the 2.0 unit injector respons time and controll is far superior on piezo but they fail more easy , there is alos differnce in diagnosing the 2 for problems i cant recall of the top of my head the piezo has a item on the fuel system whom can fail and make them act up when it is a bosch system.

tony9, Jun 22, 7:38am
Yes, as Intrade says, piezo is way faster, it takes a while for the magnetic induction to develop in a solenoid, and to decay (turn off). Piezo would be at least 100 times faster, but they don't like being held up and will fail totally if left on for too long.

Piezos also seem to be more unreliable, but that may be fixed as better materials are used.

intrade, Jun 22, 7:48am
just looking in my bosch training manual crs druck halte ventil = pressure hold valve on the piezo its 10 bar whom it needs to hold back on the leakage fuel side used to keep the piezo injector full of fuel. the others can have this valve also but
the piezo expands so not having this 10 bar holdback can result in no starts or extreem poor starting on piezo injectors it can even destroy piezo injectors metallic sound from injectors
this is bosch usually denso are not loads different i dont know if aecs coverd piezo in there training thats from bosch germany plochingen where i went for training .

rctr, Jun 22, 7:48am
Cool thanks for that Vehicles are easier to fix with principles of operation

doglover2003, Jun 22, 9:44pm
VW's answer to unnecessary crap that will make
the vehicle a throwaway item in years to come.

intrade, Jun 22, 9:51pm
No vw is a Make where you actuarly get good information about it .
if you think that is bad then you should see some designs of other makes its all about emissions 70% of these unnecessary crap has been added because of emission laws! . VW was reluctant to let the unit injector engine go, but it would not be able to meet euro 5 emissions as to much heat and not enough controll for emission stuff was possible on these engines. This is the commonrail and any commonrail is this complex you just dont get the free information about it like you get on vw.

doglover2003, Jun 22, 9:57pm
European emission laws ! What's does it cost on average to
flush a common rail ?

intrade, Jun 22, 10:00pm
what do you mean a flush exactly?
you need to service them correct and drive em long distances if its euro 3 emission it wont have a dpf diesel particular filter the emission laws are world wide they just call em different names and numbers.

mm12345, Jun 22, 10:23pm
In future they're probably going to have to fit particulate filters to petrol engines. The lean-burn, high compression, direct injected petrol engines being sold now produce just as much nano-sized particulates as old diesels. The Euro standards don't adequately measure particle size distribution vs potential harmful effect - the standards were biased to set limits for what could be easily measured, but not taking into account the relative harm for the different sized particles. (ie if the small particles weigh 100 times less than larger particles, but are just as harmful per particle, then limits based on total weight of particulate emissions are almost pointless).

doglover2003, Jun 22, 10:37pm
Outlaw was told by mitzi dealer that when his 2013 triton reaches 100K
the system needs a flush which costs $2000.
Even if there is no truth to the matter VW's complex electrical and mechanical systems will no doubt see their resale value as the years click on plummet. Good on guys that can afford them new and know when to ditch,
Would be very surprised in years to come to see the same numbers getting round like you do today of old Patrols, Terranos, Hilux's.

intrade, Jun 22, 10:37pm
RE 15 that is extreemly accurate what you write good to see we start to do our own research the dangerous part i found is to know what is wrong information and what is right ferdinand piech was extreemly pi$$ed off with the emission law makers when they had to abandon the unit injected vw engine and move to commonrail also.

yes they will need particular filters on petrols because petrol now also move all to direct injection to meet euro 6C and tighter emissions the problem of direct injection is the high Nox levels and petrols now also enter in to this emssion problem, eventualy i will see any combustion engines fased out as they cant meet the emisson rules in +15 years from now .

intrade, Jun 22, 10:49pm
RE* 16 the only thing i can think off but would be interesting to know what this flush exactly is suposed to be?
What i can think of is a intake cleaning is required from time to time. i have looked in to becoming a dealer for a special intake clean equipment i deem the best i have seen so far but it comes with problems like only 4 million people in nz and how much of these have a diesel verses the usa or germany with 80 million plus and every man and his dog drive a diesel in germany . so yea i dont like to go bankrupt on a venture going wrong.

mm12345, Jun 22, 11:23pm
VW put out some info a year or so ago about a new unit injector system they were working on. I can't remember exact details, but think it was hydraulic actuated, the idea being it could be timed with pre-injection pulses etc better than was possible with cam driven unit injectors, so could meet current and future standards.
It seemed like a great idea (get rid of the common rail), but like many great ideas, it seems to have disappeared for now.

rctr, Jun 23, 12:40am
That would be for intake manifold removal and cleaning. Does that price include 90k service and cam belt. If so that is a good price as total job is around 6.5 / 7 hrs

thejazzpianoma, Jun 23, 2:00am
There are still lean burning direct injection petrols being sold?
VW and Alfa dropped them nearly 10 years ago because of high NOx and new emissions laws. As far as I am aware all their TSI engines just run a normal stoichiometric fuel ratio now. That's why they went to smaller capacity engines to get around pumping losses that way.

I assumed that other manufacturers would have ended up in the same boat. but you say not?

mm12345, Jun 23, 3:28am
No they aren't stoichiometric at all times.
"FSI" stratified injection has excess air at low / normal load, now you'd think that would ensure more complete combustion, but apparently not.
They're using high compression ratios and also boost for efficiency. With port injection, they'd fly to bits with pre-ignition at those pressures. With FSI, you can inject right at the end of the compression stroke - so no engine knock.
Sorry - the "lean burn" in carb and port injection engines was like a "badge", FSI are also lean burn - they just don't use the old badge.
Yes - VAG (and all other makers) using FSI will likely be forced to put in particulate filters - unless they find some other method to reduce nano particle emissions - which can be as high as pre DPF diesels for the very small nano-particles.
It's not in Euro 6 - because they only found out about the problem a year or so ago.

nzdoug, Jun 23, 4:23am
beautiful illustrations.

delerium1, Jun 23, 9:49am
an interesting read, thanks for the link.

doglover2003, May 7, 5:25pm
No cambelt service to my knowledge. 2k to service a
common rail, an unnecessary expense like having a
cambelt.
In my book best to choose a low maintenance mechanical setup for a to b transport and save your dollars for your fast performance vehicle.