Dodge Nitro

kam04, Aug 18, 10:03pm
Does anyone know if the Dodge Nitro was produced after 2012? From what I believe the Journey has sort of taken over from the Nitro.

westwyn, Aug 18, 10:10pm
I think that was the last year of sales around the world- they stopped production in 2011.

kam04, Aug 18, 10:28pm
Thanks westwyn. Do you know the reason for them stopping production ?
I read that the Journey came out in 2009 I think with a smaller engine, was a bit cheaper and apparently better looking. Maybe this kicked the a*rse out of the Nitro. The Nitro had a reputation of looking 'Bullying' like with it's big front grill but to some, including me, it still appeals. It gives it that 'Jeep' look. I believe it runs very closely to the Jeep Cherokee KK model, very similar in looks and practically the same control panel/dash assembly ( have sat in both). What I like about the Nitro & the Liberty, they have the 2WD /4WD option. Both are made by Chrysler so that's why they are similar I suppose.

tamarillo, Aug 18, 11:25pm
I might be talking bollocks but I assume they stopped making them due to poor sales because it's rubbish.

kam04, Aug 18, 11:34pm
Thanks for your comment tam. Can you be more specific?

tamarillo, Aug 19, 12:10am
I was being a bit flippant and have never driven one. But I do know sales were terrible even in states, and the motoring scribblers didn't give it very good reports at all. Hence, I assume, they pulled the plug on it.
That doesn't make it unreliable or wrong for you though. If you love it and it does job for you then for you it's great.

pandai, Aug 19, 12:20am
This was the reason.

Both cars had the same platform, the same engines, and were made in the same factory.

Making the same car in two different brands was pointless and expensive.

They were also slow to sell, had a reputation for being poorly built and used quite a lot of petrol.

pandai, Aug 19, 12:23am
The current model Jeep Cherokee is the replacement model for that car, its built in the same factory.

kam04, Aug 19, 1:04am
Yeah, sort of makes sense really. I suppose it came down to what you preferred to drive or to be seen driving - a Dodge or a Jeep. Don't seem to see many on the road compared to other SUV's - self explanatory I suppose. They're all on here or in car yards for sale :-)

westwyn, Aug 19, 5:39am
That pretty much sums up the entire US automotive industry at the height of the GFC! (and the collapse of Chrysler).

But seriously- yes, they're not terribly well made, but they're not THAT bad either- the top-spec versions with leather and sunroof are actually well kitted out and are comfortable to drive, with "the look" some drivers like. Like most Chrysler stuff here, parts are available, but not always the cheapest, and some stuff is ex-USA just when you're in a pinch.

I cane close to buying a 2010 in white with black leather early this year when I sold my Ram, but figured "out of the frying pan. "

edangus, Aug 19, 10:12am
Had 3 from new (Company Cars) - It was a pig. Thirstier than the SRT8. Handling of a Aircraft Carrier. Really intrusive Traction Control / ESP. Far too small inside for a 6ft 3 well built fella.
Had no real issues with the actual vehicle though, excluding the front wiring loom to the ignition (which was eventually replaced). Certainly had road presence but was glad to see the back of them.
Not something I would recommend, the Journey (whilst only FWD) is much more of a pleasant beast.
In saying that you could buy a lot worse.

kam04, Aug 19, 9:28pm
Thanks for your comments edangus, much appreciated. Good to hear comments from actual owners, though not discrediting the other posts of course.

kam04, Oct 12, 10:44pm
Well, finally satisfied the curiosity. I took a Nitro for a drive yesterday. A bit chunky and clunky but to be fair I've never driven a vehicle of this size before. Good to drive but found the foot room on the drivers side very cramped. It was an auto - no where to put the spare foot and leg. Plenty of room on the passenger side but of course these vehicles were designed for left hand drive so plenty of room to rest the spare foot. I believe it was the SE model 2011 42,000km $28k, sensors and leather added after. No reversing camera. Quite basic really. Gave it a good squirt along the motorway, yeah drove ok. Marks out of ten, maybe a six or seven. Salesperson said quite heavy at the petrol pump. Don't think I'll be purchasing one.

2get1, Oct 13, 12:24am
I had a diesel one 2008 RT from memory was a great little wagon, never gave a problem, went well, cheap to run. The petrol one is a thirsty pig

kam04, Oct 13, 2:27am
It was nice to drive but probably an over kill size wise as I won't be towing anything large. I liked the room (apart from the foot area) as I'm a reasonably large guy (tall) and the easy getting in and out of. I think the fuel consumption might be the biggest put off.

2get1, Feb 17, 2:00am
the reason for the poor foot well room is the fact they were all designed originally to be LHD, check out the passengers foot room, they have more.

I would never own a V6 petrol one. Drove both but the petrol was to thirsty. The diesel was pretty economical but they stopped doing a diesel version a few years ago. Theyre not that big really, they look bigger than they are but they have a distinct look which makes them stand out from all the similar sized jap SUVs