Car Parts Wanted closing down on Trade Me

callum.irvine, Feb 9, 9:50pm
I guess this was always going to happen. Apart from the people using it as a cheap way to get their contact details on the website, will anyone miss it?

smac, Feb 9, 9:54pm
Always seemed a bit of an odd set up. How would the people with stuff they don't want ever see/find the wanted ads? They're more likely to just list the stuff, making the ad redundant.

mopar63, Feb 9, 9:59pm
I've had people respond with parts that I've been looking for but ,I think it's just TM closing a loophole .

callum.irvine, Feb 9, 10:43pm
It was initially set up because people kept screaming for it on other messageboards. But as you say its a silly idea. No seller is going to spend time trawling through wanted listings in the odd chance they have that elusive widget someone wants.

Although, Bob in Nigeria will have whatever you want of course :) I see scam attempts was one reason TM decided to close it.

intrade, Feb 9, 10:47pm
that is true but i am asking for parts you see never listed and yes it takes longer till you get somone who have parts, sometimes they think you sell parts and i had to tell em its wanted not for sale, managed to point one guy in direction who could have the part he wanted however .

intrade, Feb 9, 10:52pm
i am sure they could keep the catagory but it would need a lot of change to it for one it would need a big button telling everyone its a wanted listing and somhow that you could comunicate and then the guy who wants stuff pays a fee like 50 cent to get the contac details of the guy so the phone numbers are not listed , It would need loads of thinking as to how but would need improofing as currently my wanted addi is just somwhwere within the sales listings. I recall a guy on this forum accuseing me once of using a for sale listing to display my phone number and that he would report me to tm . i said sure go ahead , your welcome if i recall right.

intrade, Feb 9, 10:55pm
also in all the years i had about 2 people call me to personally ask for advice because they read on here that i know things . so that making contact from wanted adds to bypass things is not common. and i never sold anything via the contact listing , as it would of course be possible.

intrade, Feb 9, 11:06pm
another change i noticed and i welcome it is international stores are now able to sell on tradme good quality tools from europe have now a chance to make it here. so not all changes are bad it seems. i wonder if the trader vida could do his sales of cars from japan again.

gmphil, Feb 10, 12:56am
re other thread !
some people just cant be bother to list answer question in have to send .
there a sort out there that just wants it gone ie quick look on wanted ,no .
oh well of too scrappy
its a dam shame if it rare parts . wots next lose phone numbers in car add?.

tamarillo, Feb 10, 12:59am
I used it and it worked. Needed list of parts for a car so listed it there with pics, then asked folk wrecking them to have a look at my list. Worked great.
So I'll miss it.

franc123, Feb 10, 2:17am
Actually they did, I would have placed two dozen or so ads on there over the years and had probably a 90% success rate, and for some unusual things too. Members looked at them all right, but as usual its the dishonest that ruin it for everyone else.

rj-001, Feb 10, 2:45am
Years ago I used it to successfully track down a few thousand dollars worth of irreplaceable stolen goods with a wanted advert describing what I wanted without mentioning the stolen part.
After about 11 months I got promising response, made contact, got some photo's e-mailed which confirmed the identity of my gear, then contacted the police.
I can't imagine this ever happening in a pre-internet, pre-TradeMe era.

whqqsh, Feb 10, 4:07am
I've got 2 hard to find items from the wanted ads that Id had my watch list for ages but never had a a hit on the normal auctions, yet put them in the wanted section & BINGO! one was answered within days & at good prices too.

gmphil, Feb 10, 4:33am
just thought I better go now and see wot I can flog off before its to latte
holy 18,400listing will be trashed.
18,000 loss bet fees are going up

gmphil, Feb 10, 9:51am
ok other side of the coin so to speak .
apart from stoping to eat ive spend last five hours going thru wanted
then thru the shed .
see looking at wanted .jogged the old memory ,havn,t I got one those ,dam where I see that last so on and so fouth .
ive found bout fifteen odd items I either forgot I had and didn't need or just didn't think it was worth advertising .
mite get 6-800 and those people are wrapped found good useable parts they didn,t need mortgage for .

think trade me should recess this!

smac, Feb 10, 8:12pm
But haven't you just confirmed the wanted section wasn't working? They wanted stuff, you had it, and nothing happened (until this).

gmphil, Feb 11, 12:02am
on the contrary I thought !

ozz1, Feb 11, 5:52am
re CAR PARTS WANTED. shame if it goes. trade me makes money on the listing cost. and I have helped out quite a few people . I ve listed parts wanted. and got NIL response. just the way of the world really. ? when i look at parts wanted. i always go to "LATEST LISTINGS" but have been noticeing lots of listings on wanted ads are actually selling ads. buts thats just either lazieness on the seller maybe?

kris.k, Jun 18, 4:12pm
Contrary to what some people say, there will always be a need for a "wanted " listing. Way back, BT, (before trademe) there was the Trade and Exchange, and before that ,the NZ Herald had ads for everything, including parts wanted ads. Trademe , obviously, can't work out how to make money from this, so out it goes. As far as scammers are concerned, you'd have to be 10 kinds of dumb to be sucked in by these idiots. Here's a tip: check the grammar and spelling first.