Parts Cleaner?

sr2, Apr 22, 7:37am
Hi Guys, I need to change the kero in the man cave parts cleaning bath and am wondering if there is a more skin (and enviro) friendly alternative I could be using. I'll be buying 10 - 20 litres so price has some influence.

What do you use and where do you buy it from?.

(Thanks in anticipation of a deluge of replies).

trogedon, Apr 22, 7:47am
I use Concrete cleaner from Easy Products in New Lyn.

m16d, Apr 22, 9:23am
JetA1.

sr2, Apr 22, 9:39am
+1, it's just kero but the supply I had has dried up.

bigfatmat1, Apr 22, 10:15am
Bnt sells 20l containers of parts wash I have no problem with it

sr2, Apr 22, 10:18am
any idea of the price?

saxman99, Apr 22, 10:25am
We've been using a 5L concentrate from SCA which works surprisingly well for a non-HC product. Domestic rather than commercial use. I guess it's a bit pricey.

http://m.supercheapauto.co.nz/Product/SCA-Concentrate-Parts-Washer-5-Litre/343969

sr2, Apr 22, 10:30am
$50 for 20 litres I can live with, thanks.

mrfxit, Apr 23, 8:47pm
You could probably clean up the old kero fairy well with a centrifuge

Which reminds me to get on to sorting my project centrifuge sometime soon

poppy62, Apr 23, 9:05pm
I find the 4L ($16?) degreaser packs from W/house pretty good. Pretty good on the hands as well.

unideck, Apr 25, 2:20am
I use turps - I know it's smelly but it's good ;)

melonhead1, Apr 25, 3:56am
I know its dear but that Throttle Body cleaner rips off crud like nothing else. Its best saved for things you can't/won't remove I spose.

mechnificent, Apr 25, 5:12am
Let the old stuff settle, drain off the cleanest, add a bit more petrol or diesel and some tergo.
I recycle my wash fluid for ever and keep adding old or contaminated petrol or diesel or anything i get. Tergo means it doesn't have to be clean when you pull it out of the wash because it will all hose off really bright and clean.
For small items I use a drain pan with clean petrol or diesel and then tip that in the washer later too.

mechnificent, Apr 25, 5:13am
And I just keep my hands out of it as much as possible, and wash my hands straight away with a lanolin handcleaner. HDC. Which I see someone else approves of too.

stevo2, Apr 25, 5:34am
I've always bought 20lt drums of Isopropyl Alcohol for degreasing

sr2, Apr 25, 10:06am
Wow,that would make a good bang if the circulating pump burnt out!
(And here I was thinking real blokes bought 44 gallon drums of carbon tetrachloride for degreasing).

stevo2, Apr 25, 7:03pm
Haha, I just used an old drum sliced in half and a brush. No pump.
The only problem was buying it in quantity, you had to be registered with the seller as it is used in the manufacture of cannabis oil

mechnificent, Apr 25, 7:45pm
How did you stop it evaporating away. out of the wash drum ? And didn't the parts dry before you could get the hose onto them to move the muck off ?

It sounds like a terrible thing to be cleaning parts in a workshop with.

llortmt, Apr 25, 8:22pm
Just be aware non of those cheap SCA style parts washers are designed to have solvent through the pump, it could potentially be pretty dangerous.
As could open wash drums of solvent in the workshop.
Just saying!

gmphil, Apr 26, 1:30am
clean green?

serf407, Apr 26, 3:59am
Does this stuff work?
http://www.alsco.co.nz/ecosafe-washer/
The chainsaw people use an expensive wash that does not harm the plastic.

alfred011, Apr 26, 10:58am
cheaper now days just to use petrol for parts cleaner ,just cover the container when not being used to stop it from evaporating.