Getting parts from crash repairers?

timmo1, Jul 10, 2:35pm
Has anyone asked for/got binned car parts from business that do crash repairs? Were you charged $$ or did they just let you take it? Anyone in that industry?
I'm wanting to get some plastic pieces (such as vents and grills off wrecked bumpers etc) as part of a mild diffuser design, not sure exactly what I want, but don't particularly want to spend money trying out different ideas.
Given that wreckers are in the business of selling parts but car repairers seem to throw out the bits they've taken off (?) I thought it may be a good source for that?

thejazzpianoma, Jul 10, 2:45pm
Never underestimate the power of a few packets of chocolate biscuits.

socram, Jul 10, 2:48pm
My thoughts exactly. As most will have to pay to get their rubbish taken away, I would have thought they'd be more than grateful.

timmo1, Jul 10, 4:39pm
Good tip!
I guess the biggest issue is, since I don't know exactly what I want and car repairers have variable jobs, I'll just have to keep checking back/rummaging until I see something that may be of use.

gammelvind, Nov 29, 5:05pm
Most of the panel shops end up with a bloody great heap of plastic bumpers and a huge desire to be rid of them. The choccy biscuit idea is a good one.