VW Transporter van

Page 1 / 2
gedo1, Aug 3, 11:27pm
Anyone on here driven one of these on a dark country night? Do you find the headlights are. well, dismal? Perhaps it's just the 2018 model we have. Close to dangerously bad.

thejazzpianoma, Aug 3, 11:58pm
I haven't driven a 2018 but what I have had is a number of cars now where the WOF issuer has adjusted the headlights dangerously low, as in I couldn't see a car length ahead.

I would start with taking it to a trusted garage and getting them set as high as legally allowed. Also, if they are not self adjusting, check what the adjustment wheel is set on.

Best of luck

thejazzpianoma, Aug 4, 12:00am
Also. have you got the LED headlight option or standard lights?

countrypete, Aug 4, 8:01am
We have a 2018 Sprinter at work that I had to drive at night recently. The issue is the very sharp cutoff on low beam - there is plenty of light to a point, then nada. They can't be adjusted up, as it's then too high for oncoming traffic. Bad design.

intrade, Aug 4, 8:14am
Led lights? VW Lt is a sprinter with VW badge the all new VW LT is going to be VW division built of VW owned M.A.N

gedo1, Aug 4, 9:53am
Had a check on the net this morning. Wow! So many all over the world complaining of the same problem for nearly all years for the Transporter standard headlights. Could not find any responses by Volkswagen themselves about what is clearly a considerable issue for their vehicles. Our van is a 2018 TSI.

gedo1, Aug 4, 9:57am
Back to the dealers Monday. Headlights are adjustable by a "wheel" on the dash but if lowered there is NIL visibility at any distance ahead of the van. Adjust to the top and the side throw and lighting ahead is just poor. I, personally, don't normally drive this company van but after complaints about the fuel economy I am driving it to check. Staff have also commented about the headlights.

msigg, Aug 4, 10:01am
Yes gedo1 I don't know about that van, but the new corolla has an adjustment wheel on the right hand side of the steering wheel for raising the headlights slightly, make a big difference. If it was mine then I would be raising them slightly somehow.If there is a will there is a way.

thejazzpianoma, Aug 4, 10:04am
As far as I know there is a factory LED headlight option for those. If the van is otherwise deemed suitable perhaps see if they will upgrade cheap or free for you. Changing headlights is usually a very quick easy task.

Interesting reading regarding economy. I am not up to date with the T6 but wonder if this is a result of measures required to meet emissions standards. Presumably, it's diesel?

a.woodrow, Aug 4, 12:40pm
You are only supposed to lower the headlights if you have a load in the back to compensate.

gedo1, Aug 5, 10:48pm
Jazz. these vans have a state on the dashboard display that shows the actual fuel usage at the point of time and also the collective average fuel usage for the distance travelled after each fill up. Oh, dear. not all that good but still gathering data but here's what we observed today. Travelling on a motorway at 100km/h in 6th gear (it's a manual TSI) showed as 9litres per hundred kilometres. Overall average since last filled? (includes back roads, motorways and lots of city travel traffic. Dash shows it as averaging 14litres per hundred kilometres. That's the VW figures shown by their own system. The fuel recommended is 98 although 95 is acceptable which makes the travel costs a bit expensive - especially here in Auckland. And it is NOT being thrashed! Maybe it will improve with time - it has only done 3450 kilometres since new at present.

gedo1, Aug 5, 10:53pm
As for the "optional" LED headlights. are you saying that VW would deliberatelly release a product with inferior headlights and expect purchasers to have to accept paying more for better safety - i.e acceptable headlights? We have a 2013 Toyota Yaris/Vitz RS from new - the one with the 1800 motor - and it has way way better lights. Didn't have to pay more to have an accptable product.

franc123, Aug 5, 11:04pm
It all reeks of yet another Uuropeean R&D failure to me. Tell you what, maybe we should get this vastly superior VW product up against a 1989 Hiace with the classic Stanley sealed beams in it and get a 1950's 6volt Kombi all on the beamsetter and have a Lux off. no prizes for guessing the likely winner.

thejazzpianoma, Aug 5, 11:20pm
You aren't running on Gull fuel are you?
What brand and grade of fuel are you actually using?

thejazzpianoma, Aug 5, 11:39pm
In my experience with new TSI engines, yes it may improve a bit with time. Usually around the 12 000km mark.

Now that said, your open road instant economy sounds about right to me, especially as it's a manual and not the 7 speed DSG. You are pushing a big heavy cube with a fairly powerful petrol engine. Even though that engine is going to be very efficient it still has to cope with the large frontal area and pulling about 2 Tonne even when empty. (BTW how much weight do you have on board?) Not to mention the latest in emissions restrictions.

The City milage does sound a little high, maybe high enough to warrant getting the fuel trims and live data looked at but it's not a huge amount away from what's tested. It's also not an unusual amount for a petrol van. Have you run petrol vans previously? If so what were they doing? If not I would suggest asking what others are getting up there with 2 Tonne petrol vans. Even a Petrol L300 which weighs over a third less and has half the output will use that much gas in my experience.

My hope is that maybe it will give you closer to 12l/100km when run in (depending on how much weight you have onboard) but I wouldn't hold my breath and I wouldn't hope for, or expect any better than that for your use and a 2 tonne van in Auckland.

When it comes to commercial vehicles Diesel really is the way to go still. Sorry if that's not what you want to hear but I think it's possible your expectations are just not reasonable in this instance.

supernova2, Aug 5, 11:44pm
My bet is anything with a standard round or oblong sealed beam. IMHO just about anything with a complex geometric shaped perspex headlight is abysmal even more so when a few years old.
However in the OP's case it sounds like the beams have been set with the dash control in the wrong position. These fancy beamsetters are all very well but sometimes it's still better to just line it up against the wall.

gedo1, Aug 6, 8:52am
Now there's an idea - re the Hi-Ace. We have a petrol one of those although much later model than the one you mention. so it might be interesting to make the comparison re the economy and the headiights. Hmmmm!

gedo1, Aug 6, 10:33am
To exclude any misunderstanding about this Transporter. It was purchased to do various LIGHT deliveries around Auckland city etc. and would not normally do much country or even motorway traffic. It was recommended as being superior to the diesel option for just this work by more than one source - including VW. Read the reviews via Google and you will see.

thejazzpianoma, Aug 6, 10:52am
Recommended on what basis?

I can see it perhaps being recommended because of a lack of DPF which might make sense if it never has opportunity to regenerate.

With regards to fuel economy, surely you took the two minutes to grab a calculator and make a cost comparison before spending all that cash?

Sounds like you might even have been better off with an electric van if direct running costs are such a concern and it's only being used around town for light deliveries.

gedo1, Aug 7, 5:31am
Jazz. read the reviews as I suggested. Do the work for yourself if you wish to criticise (by purport of your message) the company's decision.

gedo1, Aug 7, 5:33am
And, anyway, thejazzpianoma, you still have not responded to my question of you regarding VW cynically providing lower grade headlights and then requiring purchasers to up grade at extra cost.

thejazzpianoma, Aug 7, 10:01am
It would seem you are here to complain rather than look for solutions. Good luck with the van.

serf407, Aug 7, 10:01am
I would suspect the low power headlights are to reduce the load on the electrical system and save fuel etc.
Designers probably influenced by their surroundings eg well lit by german streetlights
https://www.eon.com/en/about-us/media/press-release/2017/2017-05-05-better-lighting-for-germanys-streets.html MAN eTGE van- 160 km? range electric https://insideevs.com/volkswagens-man-launches-new-electric-van/

Will putting a hella LED light bar on the new VW van with close and far range leds invalidate the factory warranty?
https://www.nzta.govt.nz/resources/get-your-lights-right/get-your-lights-right/

flack88, Aug 7, 10:27am
The Merc Sprinter I used to drive had brilliant lites couldn't out drive them even at speed,van was going 24/7 used to blow the odd bulb,so it surprising the VW got bad lites/?

kazbanz, Aug 7, 11:47am
gedo-with most headlight adjusters the "wheel " should be in the middle position or thereabouts--so 3 of 5 usually. if the van has no load the lights should be pointing perfectly.
But I'd put money if the headlights are needed to see by you will be replacing them. fine for well lit city streets etc but no good for dark roads.
I wouldn't be expecting a big improvement in real world fuel economy.
I have to add this is not personal experience but advice given to mum n dad re camper vans based on various platforms in the UK