Briggs and Stratton parts

blogzy, Apr 18, 9:31pm
Just to update this thread. my B&S has the most basic charge system. Only a 1A trickle output. After more research i suspect my no charge problem could be the alternator output diode. Briggs don't sell it separately but i have found a suitable spec diode that may rectify my problem. will update on result after repair.

joanie32, Apr 19, 4:29pm
I have an older mtd ride one

Every twelve months or so it won’t start. Sounds exactly like a flat battery

I adjust the valves, the tiniest amour imaginable and it’s back into life

I went right through the charging system before I discovered this.

blogzy, Apr 19, 6:00pm
I have no output from the alternator. I charge the battery with a charger every month or so keep the battery topped up. I have read the diode (regulator in this case) occasionally fails, more so than the alternator but B&S do not sell the diode separately. it comes with the new alternator i believe.

blogzy, Dec 15, 9:41pm
Its looking like I need a new alternator for my mower. Husqvarna. Where is a good parts source other than the Husqvarna dealer.

wasgonna, Dec 15, 9:57pm
I'll let you amble through 55 Husky pages

https://sesdirect.co.nz/pages/search-results-page?q=husqvarna

blogzy, Dec 15, 10:06pm
Thanks, but been there and they don't have it.
I'm thinking US or UK but a lot I looked at don't have what I'm after.

peanuts37, Dec 15, 11:05pm
Try Aliexpress. I have a 30 year old Masport with Briggs and Stratton. Classic problem, wouldn't start when hot. New coil here $70 Ali $12. Still running as good as new 2 years later.

intrade, Dec 16, 7:20am
alternator for the likes of mower and or mini tractors. These things are worse then car parts. only one more worse are marine diesel in this country.
In what way worse you mean. Well in the way that no one will sell you parts and the parts you can get will seem to be marked up about 5000% or more if you look at it this way then supermarket thugs are scoolboys . mind you supermarket rip you off in volume so its took a lot longer to become apperant to most.
You would want to explore the option to have a good battery and just charge it with a ctek and a big as possible solar cell and controller instead of alternator for example.
Because i went to mower shop to see long story short he waits for a camshaft on backorder for one of them and when it comes maybe in 6 month.
dont forget the virus only just starting propperly now on the planet.
Germany is going in to nation wide new Zealand march lockdown in a few days. and and and ports are clogged shipping prices sky rock the prices will double again now.

johnny262, Dec 16, 10:17am
https://shop.briggsandstratton.com/pages/parts-lookup

If you know what part you need look it up here^^^^

Then type the part number into sesdirect, its surprising how much they have in stock

yz490, Dec 16, 12:23pm
Guessing on yours a bit,--but-- if money is the issue the alternator is only used to keep the battery up for starting & lights. So--it'll have its own cdi ignition coil [or two if a twin cylinder] so if you jump start it or charge your battery between mows, it'll start ok & carry on for the mow [just don't stop it for a cuppa half way through although battery would hack two starts. Anyhoo--on my rele's husky v twin, the 'regulator fried' itself [so be sure yours is alternator trouble]. I just made a simple charge system using one alternator wire out of the three same coloured wires. Earthed one of them. Then wire i decided to use i ran to a simple old m/cycle rectifier, then to the battery. Think i got more charge out of one wire than the there, can't remember now but picked the lowest, It's unregulated so charges more as revs rise but had it sussed to a lower safe level.
Anyway--ran well for years then broke a conrod haha. Then ran on one cylinder semi happily for another year. Rod broke at the base & piston shot up & stayed there. Drove me nuts for half hour as had spark on both but only ran on one lol. Sorry, long story about not very much. Have a happy day.

floscey, Dec 16, 3:54pm
briggs ? kohler ? kawasaki ?

bill1451, Dec 17, 6:13pm
Maybe try a guy that wrecks old mowers Briggs are common as

blogzy, Dec 18, 11:55am
Some good feedback guys. Thanks.

blogzy, Dec 18, 3:47pm
You are correct.they have one for $95. Too expensive for me. Id rather continue to charge on a trickle charger. Unless someone can tell me where I might find a used one.

itsafamilything, Dec 18, 5:36pm
Test it. Probably the brushes. Get new ones or modify a new set to suit and fit.

nzshooter01, Dec 19, 7:58pm
There is an outfit in invercargill i dealt with, cheapest ive found,
They got me a whole new carbie for my mower, 27hp v twin,
Cheaper than i could by a carbie kit

joanie32, Dec 19, 9:40pm
I used to use SES, but discovered that the local husqvarna dealer is actually cheaper on a lot of parts.

Some of the pirate parts were crap and I also found the dealer was much more likely to get the right part.

daves01, Dec 19, 10:51pm
ereplacementparts.com have a fairly large range of parts. Only hassle is of course they are USA based so shipping these days can be a bit slow.

blogzy, Dec 20, 8:56am
As I understand it, ( I have not removed the flywheel yet) this is a DC alternator. Apparently being the DC type alternator it is only a half circle configuration. Can anyone confirm it does have brushes. As I say I have not seen it yet but I was assuming it did not have brushes. ?

yz490, Dec 20, 11:45am
I'm assuming it's AC so no brushes, converted to DC by the regulator. Just be sure its crook before wasting money. If its a normal simple stator there'll be no brushes & have 3 wire the same colour. None of these should short to earth so just test resistance between the three to see you have continuity then see if it shorts to earth from any of the three wires & to the engine block.--which it shouldn't. Only basing my woffle on the v twin brigs i had. Wasn't the vanguard briggs but other model twin.

blogzy, Dec 25, 3:52pm
Only 1 wire from the alternator on this model. Generates in ac, then a diode at the end of the wire converts power to dc. It has no regulator, just the diode. Basic setup.