PPI inspectors asking and commenting on price

Page 2 / 3
electromic, Aug 12, 10:17pm
You are the person I recommend to my closest family and friends that live up that part of NZ. Actually, to be 100% honest, I would get you to do an inspection for me on a car up that way if I found one. My last car was bought from a farm 1.5 hours drive east of Hamilton and I decided to buy it the second I saw it. I still did a PPI and found a couple of faults but bought it anyway because I said to myself. "that's an easy fix!"
Good on you for defending yourself.

franc123, Aug 12, 10:41pm
That's up to you to find out though isn't it? I'm not finger pointing here but far too many car dealers are trading vehicles without doing proper inspections, grooming them and slapping window cards in and then crossing their fingers that it doesnt come back from a PPI with a list of faults and will go through its mandatory WoF inspection upon sale. and if someone does agree to buy without inspection, hard selling MBI to them to minimize comebacks. To me its common commercial sense to be looking for possible reasons why someone is wanting to trade a vehicle in, sure no used vehicle is perfect and of course some faults cannot be foreseen but offering something for sale with problems which are pretty easy to spot from an average buyers point of view isnt very professional is it?

tgray, Aug 13, 7:44am
I'm sorry you fell that way Carl and would never have posted this if I knew this would have happened. With so many inspection companies out there, I thought the anonymity of not naming anyone would have protected you, but you chose to make yourself public.
I hope you can understand my point of view. The elderly lady concerned seemed credible and I took her at her word and was naturally pissed off myself at the time. I now prefer your word so for what it's worth, I apologise for posting this.
We have met before and we will meet again. No hard feelings.

cjohnw, Aug 13, 9:28am
Yes, mals I must agree.
Plus the inference made is that ALL buyers are liars, and yet ALL car dealers are straight up, honest, salt-of-the-earth people.
Which we all know is a long bow to draw.

mrfxit, Aug 13, 10:45am
Lol, pretty much 50/50 I think
Got a couple of good dealers here.

mrfxit, Aug 13, 10:57am
Not been around the yards for a few years because of sourcing my more recent vehicles via other means, but yes for sure, used to come across a lot of yards where the cars on the yard had only had a cursory clean of loose rubbish & a wash but still needed a few obvious faults to be fixed.

What I would like to see through the whole industry is for all cars on display in the yard, to have had a full WOF type inspection (any reasonable mechanic can do that) & a full clean with glaringly obvious faults reported or fixed before it gets to the yard.

Things like tyres/ wiper blades/ broken seats/ faulty window winders / light bulbs not fixed, shouldn't even be a consideration to leave that car on the yard, but was a common sight for me & thats all grades of generic sale yards.
The franchise yards seem to do a lot better, but even there has been a mixed bag
OR
Price the dang thing accordingly with fully disclosed known faults

kazbanz, Aug 13, 5:41pm
-To clarify--NOWHERE have I stated all dealers are straight shooters
I had a "carpetbagger" buy a car from me with a blown head gasket. he arrived WITH the temp fix product in his hand. drove the car home and advertised it the next day with no mention of head gasket.
I do say "Buyers are Liars"
Its not a "mantra" as such it is simply a statement of fact.
Not something to get pissed off about.
its part of being a car dealer.
You simply accept that in every likelihood the buyer will be telling you porkies of some sort.
Frankly to think the opposite sets you up for disappointment.
Keeping in mind that there is robust legislation in place to protect the public from scumbag dealers. -as there should be.
But there is zero recourse if a member of the public lies about the condition of their car.
Its been said many times "ohh its your job" or "you should know"
But you generally have about 5 minutes to assess the condition of a trade in.
The engine and transmission are usually hot. Checking for obvious signs of previous overheating.transmission issues etc are difficult at best when a bodge job has been done. . Previous accident damage etc.-You have your eye to rely on. -Underbody rust or water leaks then they have done a clean up in the leak area. good luck getting that right.
So yea I stand by the statement. frankly if you don't think that way you will end up bitter and twisted OR be broke pretty fast.
But to reiterate-not something to get upset about .Just something to accept.

apollo11, Aug 13, 5:48pm
Don't worry, we meet the same sort of people when buying privately. "Oh, I forgot the headlight had a hole in it". Big dent in the top pillar- "I've never noticed that before" etc etc. Lying by omission is quite common.

kazbanz, Aug 13, 5:49pm
That's exactly it. I don't get upset about it. Just accept it and move on

stevo2, Aug 13, 5:59pm
I have bought literally dozens of cars over my years and most have been from dealers. I would say that I would happily recommend or buy again from about 70% of them. I have probably avoided another 20% because I didn't like them or didn't trust them so that puts your 50/50 figure about right.
For the record, I have never sold/traded a car with known problems that I have not disclosed and I can sleep very well every night. Up until I got rid of my cheque book last year (through lack of use) every car I had purchased from a dealer was with my personal cheque.
Cheers Stevo

cjohnw, Aug 13, 8:27pm
So still buyers are liars?
Yes?
Even those without a trade in?

kazbanz, Aug 13, 10:32pm
again not upset about it but yes. — Yes l have perfect credit. I can buy EXACTLY the same car $2000 cheaper - yea it’s a year older,silver with beige interior and has done double the miles .

sweetgurl108, Aug 14, 1:15pm
Market should decide!

3tomany, Aug 14, 3:33pm
I am Always honest with my car dealers. I would never rip them off as i have a good relationship with them and would not put that in jeopardy over a few porkies.
That comment says more about you than i does about potential buyers.

kazbanz, Aug 14, 3:50pm
How do you figure that?
Customers lie. That's a simple fact of life as a car dealer.
And to reiterate-Im NOT saying all dealers are squeaky clean.
Just that because of robust legislation you are far more likely to get a lie out of the mouth of someone secure in the knowledge there is zero comeback for telling lies. -ie the public.
The OP looks to be a solid case in point.
Dealer said-Buyer stated to the dealer that the inspector told her to offer $500 off.
Inspector said No I didn't
Someone is telling lies. Dealer inspector or buyer.

kazbanz, Aug 14, 3:59pm
ACTUALLY-ya know my stress levels right now are off the chart. Effectively shut down until further notice-5.30 tonite we find out for how much longer.

3tomany, Aug 14, 4:12pm
I am so lucky to be dealing with people who trust me and i trust them. Had a good example just this week when i rang a dealer i knew that had a mower for sale 13k spend so a reasonable amount of coin. He strait up told me, it had had a hard life and i should look for a better one. Not everyone is a liar just sayin.
I do get your point that a lot of folk will lie to screw a better deal. so sorry if i have stressed you it was not my intention.

gazzat22, Aug 14, 4:13pm
The legal term is the Latin "Caveat Emptor" viz Let the buyer Beware and that would apply equally to the dealer as the purchaser.Dealers used to be and probably some still are called "Sharks" Broadway Newmarket was known throughout Greater Auckland as The Forty Thieves' and" If you shake hands count your fingers afterwards" .That only applied to some of them who I doubt got much return custom.

kazbanz, Aug 14, 4:15pm
NO sorry mate not having a crack at you or Mals- --Im coming across as an arrogant as%%%%-Just super stressed. happy for robust discussion normally.

cjohnw, Aug 14, 5:28pm
And you think you are alone in that?
We are all feeling it.
And to add, I do not think I am a liar.

apollo11, Aug 14, 6:59pm
Have you ever bought a car from kaz?

cjohnw, Aug 14, 7:11pm
No I have not.
But his statement to Toby was “buyers are liars” and I have been a buyer of many vehicles over many, many years.
So, if I stepped onto his car yard he would automatically categorise me as a “liar” without exception.
Seeing what he has stated above I would not do business with him.
I am not a liar, and I find it somewhat ironic that a second hand car dealer would automatically deem all potential clients to be liars.
Over 40 years in business teaches you some lessons.

bumfacingdown, Aug 14, 7:19pm
"that a second hand car dealer would automatically deem all potential clients to be liars."
Perhaps that should have been said as "that a second hand car dealer would automatically deem all potential clients to be potential liars." from kazs point of view

apollo11, Aug 14, 7:22pm
Don't take it personally. It just means he has seen too many shitbags and not enough good guys like us.

curlcrown, Aug 14, 7:24pm
There is nothing to prevent you operating under level three as long as you follow the requirements. I was working on a yard during the last level three operating on about half the usual number of staff and allowing viewing by appointments only, one group of people on the yard at a time, unaccompanied test drives. No looking at lots of cars. It worked very well. Possibly better than normal even. The people came because they knew what they wanted. They were happy to wait a little longer than normal if they had special requests. We did at least as many deals as usual but it was far less hectic with fewer people involved.