PPI inspectors asking and commenting on price

Page 1 / 3
tgray, Aug 10, 9:15pm
I think this is wrong and not part of their job.
They don't sell cars and should not be suggesting price offers on cars they inspect for their/my customers.
I had a pre purchase inspector asking a customer how much I was asking and then suggest a price that was $500 less to offer me (was less than my cost price).
Their low ball suggestion was directly responsible for the deal falling over.
Not good!
I say just do the inspection and not get involved with things out of the scope of the service they provide.

intrade, Aug 10, 9:17pm
well ask 500 more next time? personally id make it 1500 more

tgray, Aug 10, 9:18pm
I have just put my price up to retail value. Was too cheap to begin with.

electromic, Aug 10, 11:08pm
Agree, just do the inspection and stay out of the pricing. The car gets a pass or fail. It is up to the customer and the dealer to work out the price and negotiate on any repairs that need to be done. I have a rule, however, that if I discover an accident damaged car that has been poorly repaired then it is a do not buy at all regardless of price or offer to repair.

bumfacingdown, Aug 11, 12:25am
I would ave thought that was a common question asked when a PPI was done "Do you reckon its worth $*****"

gph1961, Aug 11, 6:15am
looks like you paid too much for it in the first place

stevo2, Aug 11, 6:34am
I kinda think tgray has a better understanding of car values than any PPI inspectors. His job is to value cars, Inspectors job is to look for rust etc. He probably just told client to offer $500 less than asking price.

skiff1, Aug 11, 7:31am
There is the possibility the purchaser lied to improve their bargains position? I know it’s unheard of, but.

kazbanz, Aug 11, 1:40pm
I find as a rule the actual inspection companies generally don't comment in any way. I find that when its the customers own garage they like to comment. As a rule we leave no pricing information in the car for that very reason. ive been questioned a few times and reply that I'm "not allowed" to say.
But what skiff posted I agree with as well. "buyers are liars"

tgray, Aug 11, 6:35pm
Happy outcome. I was contacted the next day by the customer who has agreed to buy it for my asking price.

buyit59, Aug 11, 6:41pm
tgray. you should of said "no I think I will put up the price since it came out with such a glowing inspection report. that I have copied to show other buyers ! "
Edited to ad. I think that PPI Inspctor should stick to their knitting . which they do mostly . I wont/cant explain the workings of an engine so don't even try .

franc123, Aug 11, 7:10pm
Unless you heard that comment directly from the PP inspector with your own ears I'd be highly suspicious of that story. They tried to lowball you and then discovered there arent any better ones available for that price available within a reasonable vicinity of where you are. As a grizzled veteran of PPI's the question of whether this car is worth the asking price rarely comes up from customers, the price MAY be mentioned but the client is generally more interested in if there are any significant issues or signs any are coming up, ie is it worth buying at all. My 2c.

incar., Aug 11, 7:55pm
I did the inspection and I DID NOT tell my client to offer you $500 less, in fact, I told her its a very good buy for the price providing the issues I found are rectified. always 3 sides to 1 story, also I get asked "is it worth it" all the time.

toenail, Aug 11, 8:48pm
I dont think I can ever be a PPI because I would tell my clients to stay away from 90% of the crap out there instead of just focusing on inspections.

tgray, Aug 11, 10:14pm
I was careful not to name you to protect your identity. She told me you said to offer me $500 less. $2750 to be exact. Doesn't matter now, but I stand by what I have said and can only say what your client told me.
Just had the A/C regassed, the stereo replaced and the tyres rotated, otherwise I could have dropped the price for her.
Happy outcome and all good now as she has bought it.
If you say you didn't, I accept your word and will recommend you in the future.

kazbanz, Aug 12, 5:31pm
toby--the old story--Buyers are lyars

apollo11, Aug 12, 6:31pm
Not all of us.

incar., Aug 12, 7:57pm
unfortunately, more car dealers are as opposed to buyers.
her exact words after I ask if she had purchased the car last night.

Yeah, I did, I offered 200 less, he lost the plot, went offffffff. So I left it a while & went bk. He became so defensive about the issues raised in the report 😒 I'm tired of shopping around, it's a minefield out there. yr report gave me confidence in the car so, yeap, pk it up tomorrow.

edited to add a link to 2 issues I found, new wof to.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pXLVNQozbGk

kazbanz, Aug 12, 8:39pm
my experience is that MOST buyers will lie about or “forget to disclose “ issues with the vehicle they are looking to trade in . Actually case in point —- the very car you checked over . Do you reckon the issues were disclosed to the dealer that traded it

gph1961, Aug 12, 8:46pm
(snivell)

incar., Aug 12, 9:17pm
I only came here to defend myself after someone who posts on here ask if this thread involved me in any way, it did and although Toby didn’t mention my name, knowing it was me felt like a kick in the gut, to date NOT one car dealer has proved me wrong with the information I provide in the inspection reports an many have tried. I’m working to 2-3 am every night completing the reports so I got pi$$ed off. No hard feeling Toby.

intrade, Aug 12, 9:23pm
well most dealers i have been dealing with are scumbags reflecting exactly what cadogan states its bul$it o clock in every dealership. While cadogan only does new car sales my experience is 8 out of 10 match exactly what comedian cadogen presents in his ms browns boys style videos .

intrade, Aug 12, 9:29pm
re #19 trade in you have to only pay scrapmetal or what ever turners will get you.
my mates rules in europe in the 90s used to be . No dealings with anything over 10 years old and at least a 3 grand profit . we given 50/50 guarantee on anything that had less then 3g profit no such thing as CGA was in europe and non is there now
50/50 is 50meter -50 secounds

incar., Aug 12, 9:30pm
lol, bloody good to see you are still around intrade! 1 man i have always respected. i appreciate you recommending my services over the years! i'm off cheers.

intrade, Aug 12, 9:41pm
we used to work off milage and age with eurotax . Being a mechanical repair shop of course helps spotting lemons. stick the emission tester in exhaust and if its failed = you offer scrap price basically 0 you up the price on selling car and give tradein value to keep your 3.G profit. then you offload the heap in export for 150 to 700 bux most exported ones was jappas with rust and not meeting emissions problems.
think stralia has that called redbook value if i recall right