Not That It Will Bother Anyone Here.

Page 2 / 5
tony9, Aug 28, 8:29pm
There absolutely is no quota of tickets. A mate of ours is doing highway patrol duties, he says there is no such thing. May have been at times in the past but not now.

3tomany, Aug 28, 8:29pm
At 99 on ya speedo you could be doing anything from 95- 105 with the average speedo.

s_nz, Aug 28, 8:57pm
The error on speedos is not +/- 5%. The international design standards require them to be set up so they don't under-read, and the maximum reading is "10 percent plus 4 km/h".

i.e. if a car is going 100km true, the standards allow the speedo to read anything from 100km/h to 114km/h.

In practice automakers tend to set their speedo's up to over-read substantially - Tricks the purchaser think the car is faster accelerating, quieter, more economical, and less likely to get in trouble with law enforcement to read the actual speed.

Any car that has a speedo that under-reads actual speed is very likely to be the result of modification (i.e. increased tire diameter), and really should have the speedo re-calibrated.

bumfacingdown, Aug 28, 9:00pm
I knew the answer but do wonder if bwg11 did

stevo2, Aug 28, 9:06pm
No quota - but perhaps "incentives?"

kiwilandchch, Aug 28, 9:14pm
That kind of explains why you cant find it.

bwg11, Aug 28, 9:15pm
Absolutely. Sorry for my poor choice of words.

bumfacingdown, Aug 28, 9:20pm
And those incentives are?

tgray, Aug 28, 9:22pm
Fair enough BUT, If a cop on patrol duties ended each shift with no tickets issued day after day, there would be a problem. For him.

3tomany, Aug 28, 9:29pm
I am well aware of all that, Tyre mods would be the main reason for a speedo reading low.

3tomany, Aug 28, 9:30pm
Even the local bobby has to give out a minimum number of tickets.

alowishes, Aug 29, 9:03am
There’s enough idiot drivers out there that the cop would be bound to be handing out tickets - even if not for speeding.

alowishes, Aug 29, 9:03am
And this minimum is?

clark20, Aug 29, 12:17pm
Yes, it is +/- 10% but which car company wants to be sued for reading under actual speed so typically they are 3-4% under actual, however its your problem if you change tyres or whatever to keep it reading correctly.

kazbanz, Aug 29, 12:34pm
is this ACTUAL news or just revisiting old news to stir the pot ?

easygoer, Aug 29, 12:37pm
I don't see an issue myself, I have only ever had 1 speeding ticket and that was because I was exceeding the posted speed limit, my last 3 vehicles all read around 4Kph fast at 100Kph so if I travel at 100Kph on the highway according to my speedo it is likely I won't get a ticket. Even if a ticket quota was a real thing, the tickets would still only be issued to the drivers who are exceeding the limit which is why I don't get them.

amasser, Aug 29, 12:51pm
Zero speeding = zero fines. Too simple?

raewyn2, Aug 29, 1:17pm
Payment of speeding fines is voluntary - if you choose to speed you have chosen to pay. And as said above, speedos tend to read high so if you stick to what the speedo says you won't get a fine. Or you can work out what is accurate. Eg I know that 100 on my car is actually 96. So I usually drive at 105 on the speedo which is about 101. Will just have to slow down a bit. Not really a problem.

pcle, Aug 29, 1:30pm
Idiot leadership continues to degrade public confidence in the police. Front line officers must be rather tired of the BS raining down from above.

apollo11, Aug 29, 1:59pm
You are totally correct. But we are all human, and it can sometimes be difficult to keep a vehicle at a constant speed when dealing with hilly terrain, headwinds etc. If someone is constantly checking their speedo, they aren't concentrating on the road ahead. People need to drive to the conditions rather than focusing rigidly on a speed limit.

rpvr, Aug 29, 2:09pm
My speedo has a line on the dial at each 10k, then in between there are three little dots. So it can't be read in single k's per hour. The speedo needle takes up the space between 2 of the dots. And we are expected to study it in detail while travelling at approaching 100kph? Get real. Of course, this is simply the next step towards a totalitarian state which was started by the covid crisis. Next step will be compulsory government acquisition of businesses which fail because of the lockdowns.

7up, Aug 29, 7:20pm
I usually sit smack bang on 100, the last two holiday periods with zero tolerance, I've managed 2 speeding tickets for 103 and 104 kmph. hopefully tickets dont become a regular thing,

mazalinas, Aug 29, 7:42pm
Wow, I'd be so annoyed about that!

raewyn2, Aug 29, 9:37pm
What speed you drive is a habit. Once you are in the habit of driving at the right speed, you will do so without having to watch the speedo too much. You might get a bit fast down a hill but will realise it fairly quickly. It would be possible, but bad luck, to get caught at that exact moment. It's the person who pushes the limit all the time who will be more likely to be caught out.

s_nz, Aug 29, 9:38pm
This is getting a little over the top. If you can't tell the difference between 99 & 100 on your speedo, you could just go 95 to play it safe. Alternitively you could get a digital speed readout for your car, or put your smartphone in a dash mount, and leave Waze or google maps running (be carefull though, GPS based speed on those is pritty much bang on accurate, and dosn't overead like car speedo's.

The stuff about failed businesses is off topic and weird. Why would the government want failed businesses?

In general we are better to not have laws that exist but are not enforced. This is the case in many arab countries, and gives the police disproportionate power. - Don't like somebody - arrest them for the crime that is widely known not be normally enforced.