Not That It Will Bother Anyone Here.

Page 3 / 5
apollo11, Aug 29, 9:55pm
OK, I'm not sure it's fair to have a system based on luck. Like I said, better to promote driving to the conditions than nit pick over a few kilometers over the limit. It almost feels like part of a pattern of increasing governmental control over citizens.

mazalinas, Aug 29, 10:00pm
It is - it's like we're under a dictatorship. Give an inch and they'll take a mile grrrrrrr

stevo2, Aug 30, 6:29am
I see a lot more Police chases happening in the future.
If there is no tolerance for exceeding the speed limit, a lot more tickets will be handed out meaning people will gain demerit points a lot faster.
If someone is nearing their 100 points and this ticket will put them over therefore losing their licence, they may think its better to make a run for it - especially since they know the chase will be abandoned it they drive recklessly. At the end of the day they lose their licence due to accumulated points or they lose it due to unsuccessfully trying to get away or they do get away scott free.

alowishes, Aug 30, 8:24am
A fair size display of panty-bunching in this thread!

bumfacingdown, Aug 30, 9:21am
Maybe its those who pushed the boundaries and drove consistently, not occasionally on a down hill, at 110kph that prompted this. Thank them

bwg11, Aug 30, 11:19am
I will take a lot of convincing that there is a safety objective rather than control and revenue aspects of this move to zero tolerance. Back in the 1960's it was then "safe" to drive a cross-sprung Ford or a swing axle VW at 55 mph (89 kph) on the much inferior roads of the day with no crash barriers or median strips, but today it is a offence to drive a modern car with air bags and today's accident avoidance technologies, which has been designed to cruise at speeds around 140 kph plus on Europe's Autobahns. Yet in this country driving that car at 101 kph is an offence (with the exception of the occasional 110 kph motorway limit) on modern 4 lane highways with median strips and barriers. Not to mention the reduced speed limits recently imposed, for example, in Canterbury, the Weka Pass, formerly 100 kph, now 80 kph limit. With zero tolerance, it must be a gold mine for the revenue gatherers.

trade4us2, Aug 30, 11:58am
I have a Heads Up Display. The speed is shown on the windscreen where I was to see it.
It cost about $70 from Jaycar. They will get cheaper.

gazzat22, Aug 30, 12:32pm
Well with Lockdowns there are less cars on roads which equates to less tickets=less revenue.

toenail, Aug 30, 2:15pm
it's ok, police needs to be paid. This is no different to taxes. It's all funny money anyway, ticket someone on the dole, the the money gets back into the system.

bumfacingdown, Aug 30, 2:37pm
"it's ok, police needs to be paid."
So the ticket money goes to the Police, yeah?

mazalinas, Aug 30, 2:43pm
Ticket someone on the dole and if they're savvy enough they can pay it back at $1 a week - or go hungry.

sw20, Aug 30, 3:36pm
If it was about revenue the police would just sit at intersections ticketing everyone looking down at their phone in their lap or sailing through the stop signs.

kingfisher21, Aug 30, 4:11pm
I call bullshit on that, my brother is a cop and told me there is definitely a quota, they are "encouraged" to get up to a certain amount per month.

apollo11, Aug 30, 4:33pm
I know a few cops and have seen disciplinary notes they get sent for not 'pulling their weight' in the ticket department.

bumfacingdown, Aug 30, 4:54pm
Must be different for each Policing area

elect70, Aug 30, 5:16pm
Stalker radar is only 95 % accurate at 100K but try & defend it they say its irrelevant been there tried that & failed

pauldw, Aug 30, 5:49pm
The Police claim that they use a higher standard of calibration therefore the manufacturer's specification isn't relevant.

alowishes, Aug 30, 6:11pm
And if they don’t?

Are they going to be sacked?

kingfisher21, Aug 30, 10:04pm
No, but they get given the shittiest jobs.

alowishes, Aug 31, 9:38am
Really?
So they get given jobs that would need doing by somebody in the cops anyway?
What are the ‘shittiest jobs’? (Writing out tickets would be on to those that do t write out any/many)

richardmayes, Aug 31, 3:55pm
I went out on the road at the weekend. I have to admit that doing 2200rpm at 95km/h is much nicer, quieter, and more relaxing than doing 2500rpm at 105km/h.

And if I see plod in my rear view mirror, I won't even feel guilty about doing 90, I'm sure he'll have no trouble passing me legally in his V8 patrol car.

muzz67, Aug 31, 5:12pm
Had to ring 105 a couple of times over the weekend,, lately there has been a bunch of MX bikes competing up and down the back road we live on.
Few helmets, two up, loud as f### etc.
If it was only occasionally it wouldn't matter but after most weekends 10times a day.
No response at all from plod, no car even once, no call back, zip.
Yet they sit along the main road where we can see them from our house and do, well what? Read a book?

stevo2, Aug 31, 6:26pm
I did 450km on Sunday and was 2nd in a line of 6 cars doing 115kph (on speedo so an actual 110kph) on the highway. Female cop comes towards us and just waves her hand for us to slow down a bit. Nice.

gedo1, Sep 2, 12:33pm
Kaz., you got it spot on. There is no change in the threshold for being "caught" speeding. It is Police policy to have that threshold in place - particularly for speed cameras. It seems (from what I have learned) that a senior road policing person reminded all that it is possible and acceptable for an offence notice to be issued for 1, or 2 or 3 etc etc km/h over the posted speed limit. In other words there is no threshold in certain circumstances. However Stuff chose to misinterpret that and put it up that there was no longer a threshold or allowance. A media sensation as usual,,,, and so many chose to believe it. Keep under the posted speed limit and avoid the fine. simple really, huh?

cooper770, Sep 2, 2:55pm
just drive your car at the posted speed limit and using your own speedo.

Done

Oh you can't watch the speedo and the road at the same time?

you don't need to do them at the same time.
Lesson 101 from the driving instructor was Mirror, Mirror, speedo, Mirror it takes less than an eye blink, and you signed a bit of paper saying you will follow the rules to get your license.

Oh but you're worried that the car behind you will get impatient and cause an accident.
Let that be their issue and not yours.

Your primary concern is the road in front, not the road behind.

FYI- I'm an advanced driving instructor and teach corporates and professional drivers how to drive. So my comments above are literally my job.