Not That It Will Bother Anyone Here.

Page 4 / 5
kiwilandchch, Sep 2, 3:00pm
And they wonder why so many people hate them. . I say bring back the MOT and let police get back to solving crimes

cooper770, Sep 2, 3:02pm
There is a quota of interactions that they are meant to meet daily, this is all and every interaction with the public and not just to hand out infringements.
This includes dealing with the public in the street and includes everything from looking into crimes/offences and just being seen and interacting with the public.
All officers logs are reviewed and the senior officers may guide others towards more or even less. Some officers can get ticket happy, some ticket shy, but all are expected to interact with the public in positive ways also.

alowishes, Sep 2, 3:05pm
Where in NZ would you find a ‘V8 patrol car’ being used for cop work?

alowishes, Sep 2, 3:14pm
Makes sense to me but others on here? - not so much.

tony9, Sep 2, 3:17pm
Did you actually experience the MoT/local council guys? I found them to be pedantic fools who seemed to think ordinary motorists to be victims to be dealt to. Unless you were personally known then you could literally get away with murder. They had little or no accountability.

saxman99, Sep 2, 10:29pm
Tell them you’re gonna shoot the next one that goes past, you’ll get a response.

bwg11, Sep 5, 9:57am
Referencing the thread title, it certainly should concern everyone here.

https://www.stuff.co.nz/national/122652835/top-cop-says-no-change-on-speed--but-history-proves-otherwise

Wouldn't it be nice to see some consistency from the top. All we get is BS and conflicting mixed messages. No wonder the police struggle to get the public's respect.

muzz67, Sep 5, 11:38am
Meybe not the right one tho!

gamefisher, Sep 5, 7:11pm
If I ended up with a speeding ticket at within 5% of the posted speed limit I would be asking for calibration certificate that was less than 1 month old. This is an industry standard on measuring in measuring equipment. If it was less than 2% I would expect the calibration to be checked weekly.

pauldw, Sep 5, 8:13pm
Industry standards are trumped by the Land Transport Act that requires the calibration to have been done no more than 12 months before the date of the alleged offence. Clause 146 (5).

trade4us2, Sep 5, 9:28pm
I have a Heads Up display. Your speed is shown on the windscreen anywhere you want it. About $50 to $70 from Jaycar.

s_nz, Sep 5, 9:29pm
Lol. What industry have you been in where equipment is calibrated monthly or weekly? As above, they are done annually, you will be shown the current calibration sticker.

Anyway the recent policy change has no impact on this. Gear needs to be just as calibrated for a speeding fine for 11-15km/h over the limit to hold up on a reading of 12km/h as it does for a fine to hold up in at 2km/h over.

The police have legal experts that they consult to verify their policy will hold up in court.

gamefisher, Sep 5, 9:55pm
Be assured that industry does do weekly, monthly & yearly calibrations and having instrument or devices with such a fine tolerance with legal implications being checked yearly is substandard. Speed measuring is only calibrated to within 0.5% anyway then you expect a vehicle speedo to be within 2% and never calibrated. The Police have lost the plot on this one issuing fines with no tolerance. There has to be a minimum tolerance of 4% otherwise it a farce.

socram, Sep 5, 10:09pm
If any cop tickets you for 102kph or thereabouts, just write in and say you'll be happy to take it to court.

The chance of any senior officer sanctioning one of his/her best, spending half the day in court, for such a a piddling offence, is highly unlikely.

I fitted an electronic speedo to my project car and calibrated it myself, but as tyres wear it will over read naturally.

s_nz, Sep 5, 10:50pm
I am an engineer and have spend significant time working in the chemical industry, and done some work in mining, oil & gas, and the energy industry. That's why I asked what industry does these more frequent calibrations.

In general annual certification is fine for measurement devices for trade purposes.

https://trademeasurement.tradingstandards.govt.nz/for-business/equipment-used-for-weighing-and-measuring/certificate-of-accuracy/ I don't know where you got your numbers from, but yes some tolerance applies to calibrated gear. In the case of police gear, this calibration is done in a iso 17025 laboratory. Radar gets checked with tuning forks daily in addition. My understanding is that police radar gear is calibrated to +/- 0.6 km/h.Note the true accuracy is more like +/- 0.03km/h, but the display is only in 1km/h steps. Also note that the police gear is set to round down.

https://fyi.org.nz/request/7033/response/27526/attach/html/8/Wills%20Alex%2001%2018%207876%20signed.pdf.html

As mentioned previously police gear need to be sufficiently accurate as there are thresholds in penalty levels. Adding a "tolerance" before enforcement action is not a great way to deal with inaccuracy (should it exist)

saxman99, Sep 5, 11:00pm
I calibrate the tools of my trade continuously as I use them to approx 1~2%.

alowishes, Sep 7, 9:28am
So how many tickets in the 1 to 5 kmh speed range over the speed limit have been issued - or more importantly how many on this message board have received such a ticket?

framtech, Sep 7, 10:24am
After reading all the wash about speedo's etc one would think the country is turning into a bunch of brain washed sheep, we all know that 10 klm's of speed is NOT the cause of car wrecks and that driver stupidity and poor roading design is a much larger factor, This government has successfully intimidated the masses with their covid-19 and over the top police control on sporting guns that now they are applying the same tactics to a communist type control to boost tax revenue with speeding tickets, blow that, don't be a sucker to propaganda and drive to survive.
Its a trick that forces idiots to go 10 klm's under the speed limit.

bumfacingdown, Sep 7, 11:54am
Yeah, and the smart ones will see thru that trick, carry on doing 110kph thereby gaining 20kph over all the others

alowishes, Sep 7, 7:15pm
That would be speed camera tickets?

Those suckers ‘take no prisoners!

alowishes, Sep 7, 7:17pm
You appear to worry too much?

marte, Sep 8, 3:38am
Or ticket cars with only one headlight.

marte, Sep 8, 3:41am
Where do you get your Speedo calibrated?

marte, Sep 8, 3:51am

alowishes, Sep 8, 9:21am
Camera or cop?