To scrap, Sell as is, sell for Parts or Classified

Page 1 / 2
rjgmjs, Aug 11, 10:14pm
Hi All, i have a dilemma. I have a Peugeot 206 2001 with 156, k's on the clock. I was gifted this as payment for work completed doing property maintenance (the owner lost her job due to Covid19). It has mechanical issues, evidently cylinder head problems as it overheats (could just be the thermostat). Exterior is very clean apart from clear coat pealing on the bonnet and another panel. I spent a few hours tidying this beast up, as i felt the overall condition was, too good to scrap. But after talking to various mechanics, they say dump it as that particular model are known crappers, not worth getting engine repairs done. I have 2 other cars, so it has to go. Positives are: 5 tyres in excellent condition, body works appears to have no rust, very tidy interior. Negatives: Not been run for a year, has no WOF, rego expired, cylinder head issues. Scrappies only offering $100.00 for dead cars, (the tyres,rims and hubcaps are worth more, panels, interior etc $$$. But i don't really want a wreck sitting on my property. So do i sell for scrap, Sell as is,where is, sell as a complete car for Parts/doer upper or Classified ad. It owes me $300.00. Options, what to do? Cheers Ray

o scrap, Sell as is, sell for Parts or Classified

franc123, Aug 11, 11:50pm
Sell as is with $300 start price is what I would do.

sw20, Aug 12, 12:07am
Put reg on hold if it’s not already, then list an auction starting at $300.

gph1961, Aug 12, 6:21am
stick it in the backyard and fill it with chooks

lakeview3, Aug 12, 6:50am
Sorry couldn’t help myself, I know that’s not helpful. Lol

If it were me I would put a buy now up on trademe for $200. Some enthusiast out there may want it for parts.

tamarillo, Aug 12, 6:54am
I’d be tempted to look into engine overheating issue as if it is not head gasket it’s more viable a project. Is oil clean or water? Is water clean or has oil or sludge in it? If above indicate it’s good maybe worth investing in a leak down test to see if it has a failed gasket.

msigg, Aug 12, 7:03am
Just put a dollar Auction going and describe what you have here, someone with time or wanting a project may want it, you should get your $300 back anyway, maybe a couple of dollars more. Lucky it owes you a small amount.

mrfxit, Aug 12, 7:35am
There you go, heres your TM listing description done.
Set reserve at the $300 it owes you but no need to mention that in the listing.
Q: is the reg still alive but just owing back pay (not dereg'd?)
******************************-
Peugeot 206 2001 with modest km's of 156,000k's on the clock.
It has unconfirmed mechanical issues mostly relating to possible cylinder head problems as it overheats (could just be the thermostat?).
Exterior is very clean apart from clear coat pealing on the bonnet and another panel.
I spent a few hours tidying this beast up, as i felt the overall condition was, too good to scrap and I have 2 other cars, so it has to go.

Positives are:
5 tyres in excellent condition,
Body works appears to have no rust,
Very tidy interior/ upholstery etc .
Generally tidy condition for it's age

Negatives:
Not been run for a year,
No WOF and rego expired,
Possible cylinder head issues.

Selling as a complete car for Parts or repair.

marte, Aug 12, 4:13pm
Check it to see what the problem is.
Everybody says "Headgasket'" but hasn't even checked it.

Is there oil in the coolant? Could be the eBay $40 oil cooler.
Overheating, $50 thermostat? $100 waterpump? $30 waterpump drive belt.

Of 3 cars I have bought with "Headgasket' problems"
1, no waterpump drive belt $11
2, dud oil cooler, got one from spare parts car.
3, waterpump fins disintegrated $65 part.

So, tell us the symptoms.

lythande1, Aug 12, 4:44pm
Sell it to the wreckers.

rjgmjs, Aug 16, 11:37pm
I contacted Wgtn Peugeot Owners Club. They will ask among there members as someone could be interested in the car. Thanks for all opinions. Cheers Ray

rjgmjs, Aug 16, 11:39pm
There you go, heres your TM listing description done.
Set reserve at the $300 it owes you but no need to mention that in the listing.
Q: is the reg still alive but just owing back pay (not dereg'd?)
-
Peugeot 206 2001 with modest km's of 156,000k's on the clock.
It has unconfirmed mechanical issues mostly relating to possible cylinder head problems as it overheats (could just be the thermostat?).
Exterior is very clean apart from clear coat pealing on the bonnet and another panel.
I spent a few hours tidying this beast up, as i felt the overall condition was, too good to scrap and I have 2 other cars, so it has to go.

Positives are:
5 tyres in excellent condition,
Body works appears to have no rust,
Very tidy interior/ upholstery etc .
Generally tidy condition for it's age

Negatives:
Not been run for a year,
No WOF and rego expired,
Possible cylinder head issues.

Selling as a complete car for Parts or repair.
-
mrfxit (3327 3327 positive feedback

Thanks mrfixit. i follow up your input if i don''t hear back from the Wgtn Car club, cheers Ray

sally63, Oct 17, 4:12pm
How do you put re on hold? My car has died-terminal - and I have just renewed the rego , diesel miles and wof. Can I get any of that back?

sally63, Oct 17, 4:21pm
Also how much will a wrecker give for a non going car Toyota Corolla diesel 2008 about 150.000kms at a guess?

lythande1, Oct 17, 4:22pm
Where? My son got $400 for his dead motor car. I got $300 for pick it up off the side of the road, out of town.

jesus2000, Oct 17, 4:34pm
At least let this be a learning experience for you. Never ever ever ever accept a 2nd-hand European car as payment for work done. There will be a reason the previous owner is trying to give it away.

https://youtu.be/yTecF1nKw1Q?t=7

martin11, Oct 17, 4:43pm
I had a second hand Audi for 7 years with no problems I was the 6th owner Just did the standard maitenance on it as required ,sold it at 200,000 km

annie17111, Oct 17, 5:31pm
Someone in the wellington area is paying $400 for scrap vrs

poppy62, Oct 17, 9:35pm
Any advice for Sally for her dead Toyota Corolla with less Kms and newer?

annie17111, Oct 17, 9:54pm
actually it's palmy

tamarillo, Oct 20, 7:30pm
What has it being euro got to do with it?

rjgmjs, Oct 20, 7:47pm
Just having a catchup with comments. Thanks to all, great advice. Update is, my customer owed me just over $200.00. I sold the car as is where is for $350.00. Cost $40.00 approx to list it on T M. Put rego. on hold for 3 months (cost bugger all). So in the end, i recovered what i was owed, plus enough money for a couple dozen cans of bourbons. But yep, i wouldn't do business like that again.

toenail, Oct 20, 8:26pm
i would have just dropped it off at the Peugeot dealer next to their new cars to show the circle of life.

sport_billy, Oct 21, 7:39am
Shhh.

Maybe Jesus would suggest she had bought a Lexus 😆

geoff_m, Nov 3, 5:15pm
Is the rego dead - not renewed for more than a year, or just expireed?
If it is less than a year since it has expired, put it on hold online
https://transact.nzta.govt.nz/transactions/licensingexemption/entry
It is free other than any back rego that needs to be paid to date.
My 206 has been a great little car at 210000km, but if yours really has a blown head gasket, then it is not worth paying someone to fix. I would investigate further as the chances ae it is something simple. Look for oil in the water for example.