Selling at turners - cash or auction

jojo76, Oct 7, 5:40pm
Have tried previously to sell a vehicle privately and given our location I’ve many people asking to take it to them for a test drive.
Cant be bothered with all the hoo haa, so considering Turners I know what it is worth as a trade. And I know going the cash option is likely to be the same as trade value? Am I likely to get anymore going to auction? Any experiences you’d like to share?
Not a sought after car v6 Toyota vanguard.

sw20, Oct 7, 6:07pm
You will be offered absolute peanuts.

If you can't be bothered with the 'hassle' of a private sale, you will have to accept whatever they will offer.

tamarillo, Oct 7, 7:13pm
Trouble is your location. Small market in small town. Though agree it’s not on being expected to take it to people to view. I have Not seen your advert but lots of really good pictures, a video (walk around, start up, short drive) And good detailed description will help people think it is worth the trip. Maybe you could offer to meet Christchurch folk on outskirts of chch one weekend day at set time. If you get 2 or more coming to see it creates good tension.
Also it’s a Toyota so don’t underestimate its appeal, they are always in demand .

john1623, Oct 7, 7:19pm
Amberley is not exactly in the wopwops.

buyit59, Oct 7, 7:28pm
The V6 Vanguard is not unpopular . They have conventional trans so can tow more than the CVT models and if its 7 seats its even better. Whenever we have one at work it doesnt last long . If you dont want/cant be bothered to do a private sale and you go to Turners then I would ask what their 'Buy now' would be . I would use that as the auction reserve ( plus add on their sale costs) and let the auction work for you . You might just get a surprise.

jojo76, Oct 7, 7:49pm
I’m half way between Amberley and Hanmer springs. So it’s roughly 160km round trip into Christchurch.

kazbanz, Oct 7, 9:44pm
Expect half trade in value. F the sharks con you into auction expect it passed in several times so they can grab multiple fees from you

electromic, Oct 7, 9:44pm
Turners gave me more for my Atenza than the Mazda dealer offered me as a trade in on a new Mazda 6. I had a really good example with full service history. Turners sold it for double what they paid me. A v6 Vanguard is a popular vehicle, I would have thought.

utwo, Oct 7, 9:51pm
I recently took my car to Turners for a valuation. I was offered $11-$12k cash (the exact figure would depend on a more thorough inspection), or an estimate of $12-$13k at auction. Trade-in offers from dealers ranged from $10-$13k.

sport_billy, Oct 7, 10:23pm
Wouldn’t use them myself, the values they offer are notoriously low and quite laughable in my experience.
But contact them and ask - you may be surprised 🤷♀️

msigg, Oct 8, 11:25am
No you won't be surprised, the offer will be slightly less than the dealer. It is probably worth approx 3.5 - 5 k for a vanguard 2008 - 2013 , 120k. I don't know your specs but most people want too much for their vehicles and are unrealistic.

kazbanz, Oct 8, 1:21pm
Sorry but that ^^^^^^^ is typical Turners bullshit.
you weren't actually OFFERED a brass razoo.
When the guy pulls the cheque book out is when you are actually being made an offer. A verbal "valuation" or "auction estimate" isn't worth the paper its written on.

franc123, Oct 8, 3:42pm
Theres plenty of traffic up that road though going to and from the springs but also from Nelson and the coast, I know I've been up there enough times. I'd just park it visible to the highway with a sign in the windscreen with the asking price in huge digits written on it. see what happens. Lazy people from Chch city aren't your only market, any firm offer that Turners make you will likely be offensively low.

toenail, Oct 8, 7:32pm
turners will offer peanuts, they are there to make a profit as they take the risk of something wrong with the car and private buyers still have CGA that turners cannot contract out of.

They don't really inspect the car, just 2 dudes taking it for a spin.

3tomany, Oct 8, 10:37pm
My son bought a falcon from turners, They offered him $1500 bux for his 2001 mondeo. He said no thanks and put it on facebook for $3995. It took three days to sell it and he settled on $3200.

toenail, Nov 9, 11:13am
turners is a very profitable business. more so than car dealers. their last annual profit before tax is $30m.