How do I prove when I sold a car!

I have been paying insurance on a car i have not owned for 18 months. what form do I need to get from post office to prove when I sold it. (so I can get a refund)

driver_millna, Jan 7, 4:48 pm

It doesn't mattter.You won't get a refund on insurance because its you who failed to notify the insurer you had sold the vehicle. Sorry

driver_kazbanz, Jan 7, 4:51 pm

LOL good money management!

driver_tonyrockyhorror, Jan 7, 4:56 pm

must have too much of it

driver_bellky, Jan 7, 4:59 pm

Stuffed up myself some years ago, asked for refund hahaha.

driver_gammelvind, Jan 7, 5:00 pm

Not for long if they keep that up.

driver_tonyrockyhorror, Jan 7, 5:00 pm

Thats like renting a house, moving out without telling the land lord but still paying rent for 18 months, then asking for a refund on 18 months rent. Doesn't work like that.

driver_curlcrown, Jan 7, 5:05 pm

LTSA see when the ownership papers were changed.

driver_msigg, Jan 7, 5:13 pm

Neither of those things exist.

driver_tonyrockyhorror, Jan 7, 5:24 pm

ummm. The insurance co does pay out on it. I spoke to them today. I go into local branch with proof and they process it. it happens quite regularly.

work in insurance!. I don't think so

driver_millna, Jan 7, 6:07 pm

Um actually YES I do deal in insurance Its a product I sell at least 4 times a week with different companies -Please tell me the company you are refering to that will credit you for insurance where YOU have failed to notify them you have sold/disposed of the vehicle 18 months prior.

driver_kazbanz, Jan 7, 6:11 pm

I have sold many cars before, and my insurance always refunded the difference even though it's been 3 to 8 months since I notified them. The insurance company must have a way of telling who the new owner was from the time I sold the cars.

driver_mugenb20b, Jan 7, 6:13 pm

I spoke to the company today, they told me the process, I may not get the whole 18 months but I will get 12.

Please tell me the company you deal with so I know to stay away from them!

driver_millna, Jan 7, 6:14 pm

And AGAIN--WHICHcompany is prepared to do this!

driver_kazbanz, Jan 7, 6:17 pm

Actually--forget it--Im in a foul mood and its not your fault--have a nice day

driver_kazbanz, Jan 7, 6:18 pm

so how do I prove when I sold the car!.

driver_millna, Jan 7, 6:22 pm

I also like how posters assume that I neglected to tell my insurance co that I sold the car. I am fairly sure I did tell them.

However it's not issue I am worrying about.

driver_millna, Jan 7, 6:25 pm

I've done it before through AMI. Was only a few weeks, but still no hassle.

driver_smac, Jan 7, 6:52 pm

I'm with State

driver_millna, Jan 7, 6:55 pm

Try CARJAM ( i think this is the name of website!)

driver_kay34, Jan 7, 7:07 pm

You should have received a letter stating change of ownership. This would be your proof. As an AVI I can see the date and kms when a vehicle changed hands as I am inputting a WoF so you could try an AA express or post shop for a print out on the car in question could cost ya.wont be much tho.

driver_gadgit3, Jan 7, 7:08 pm

thanks, but those websites just tell you if the is of interest to police and if they are WOFed and REGed.

driver_millna, Jan 7, 7:09 pm

probably lost the letter, but i will give the post office / AA a go :)

driver_millna, Jan 7, 7:10 pm

No, not the Post Office, State Insurance! Don't mess about guessing what might or might not work, give them a call.

driver_smac, Jan 7, 7:16 pm

Really! why not the post office! they used to. And they see the same screen as I do when doing WoFs when they do rego updates

driver_gadgit3, Jan 7, 7:25 pm

You can get a refund. I sold a car last year and forgot to cancel insurance. I was refunded the amount from when I sold it to the date when it was eventually cancelled. The insurance company dated it from when someoneelse (new owner) had taken out new insurance.

driver_trader1292, Jan 7, 7:28 pm

WHat I mean is, this is all a waste of time until the OP contacts their insurance company and speaks to them about what they want. I get the impression he/she hasn't even talked to them yet.

driver_smac, Jan 7, 7:31 pm

I have spoken to them, they require proof for date of sale. which I don't haveon hand. they suggested the post office. I was wondering what I ask for at the post office.

I have spoken to the insurance co. they suggested I might want to follow it up.

(read post 10 and post 13)

driver_millna, Jan 7, 7:33 pm

If you purchase the full report from Carjam the ownership details are shown with the sale dates, if the owners have requested that their details are private it states this but still shows the date of ownership change

driver_easygoer, Jan 7, 8:47 pm

You would fill out the appropriate form and get the registered ownership history.

driver_tonyrockyhorror, Jan 7, 8:53 pm

was it worth much! bank deposit! wad of cash

driver_jokerboss, Jan 7, 9:38 pm

thay willn't pay i know that you will need to call your mum and get her to help you out with some smokes and beer till next dole payment

driver_stacie_nz, Jan 7, 9:46 pm

not too much third party. (a couple of hundred). I think it was about 8 or 9 dollars a week.

driver_millna, Jan 7, 10:03 pm

thanks for drinking and MBing all at once. it makes good reading.

driver_millna, Jan 7, 10:04 pm

ring up your insurance company and ask if they would be willing to pay out if the new owner of the car had a accident and it was a right off.since you were paying the premiums so long as the new owner was over 25 they wouldnt have to be a named driver so therefore your claim would be valid

driver_xs1100, Jan 7, 10:27 pm

here is the info on govt site that you should be able to do online or at vtnz/postshop,hope it helps you.
Request for motor vehicle details (MR32)

Requests for motor vehicle details including details of companies and organisations who are or have been registered in respect of a vehicle can be made by downloading a request for motor vehicle details form. The form is posted to the NZTA who will then provide you with the following information:

name and address of companies and organisations who are and have been previously registered in respect of a vehicle
Engine number
NZ registration date
Licence (rego) expiry date
Odometer readings (current and historic)
Dates of change of registered person
A fee of $11.50 is payable.

Request for motor vehicle details (MR32)

driver_techmen, Jan 7, 10:39 pm

I got a refund from state for 4mnths worth of insurance.

driver_00basil00, Jan 8, 5:19 pm

This happened to me a few years back. I was with State.It was actually them that informed me that I wass till paying insurance for a car I no longer own, so they must have a way of telling that you are no longer the registered owner.I am pretty sure that they have the ability to look it up on their computers.Otherwise I would suggest nzta.

driver_kaysum2, Jan 8, 6:12 pm

Maybe the new owner was with State and tried to insure it and a red flag came up saying it was already insured by you . maybe

driver_aragorn2003, Jan 8, 7:27 pm