Auto sparkies.

jono2912, Mar 14, 7:07am
Have been requested to install a reversing camera to the back of a car trailer, which is all good, but am looking for ideas for the plug between the car and trailer! A normal flat 7 pin either side would do, but could be over the top.

Ideas!

mantagsi, Mar 14, 7:11am
You can get those wireless reversing cameras, they are supplied off of the 12v to the reverse bulbs so when you put the vehicle in reverse, it fires up the camera which sends a signal which starts up the dashboard LCD. Nice and easy, two wire install, and wiring is already on the vehicle side trailer plug - just might need to check trailer has wiring on its reverse light plug pin, but easy enough to hook up.

skyline_guy_r34, Mar 14, 7:12am
I would go 7pin being weather proof. You could buy ISO connectors and wire it up that way. But not weather proof like 7pin.

jono2912, Mar 14, 7:19am
Sorry forgot to add that customer wanted it wired full time, so may be able to splice to park but would still wouldn't be automatic (as such) Have a huge special on wired reverse cameras at the moment which is why I have to take this track.

mantagsi, Mar 14, 7:26am
If it absolutely has to be weatherproof I agree, may as well go this path. If you are using two 7 pins (one for lights, one for camera) find some way of keying them so they cant be crossed over, causing damage to camera / car. Also swapping the gender so both trailer and car have one male/one female to prevent cross-plugging isn't a good idea; when not in use the customer might inadvertantly connect the two together on the car thus blowing things up. Im sure you have seen people do some really strange things before!

skyline_guy_r34, Mar 14, 7:30am
Could use round plug trailer connectors. That would avoid confusion.

ginga4lyfe, Mar 14, 9:38pm
why dont you pop around to a Jaycar and have a look through there range of plugs! lots of ham radio equipment is weather proofed and also have weather proofed plugs, I would think they could help!

jono2912, Jul 22, 2:12pm
Never thought of that. Cheers mate