RX8 - Mechanical Warranty

pthorn, Dec 4, 11:58pm
Just looking at a RX8 as a second car after I was surprised to see you can actually get mechanical warranties on a used model.

Seems you can get up to $8000 payout which would cover a engine rebuild for worst case scenario, which being honest, seems to good to be true? Anyone have experience with this?

The only thing I can find to suggest it might not cover an engine is this clause:

What is not covered
We will not pay for:
??? Repairs that are covered by the manufacturer??

sw20, Dec 5, 12:53am
Autosure offer an Extreme Cover warranty as their premium product. It has a single claim limit of $12k and includes oils, fluids and sundries. Mine was around $1600 for three years for my RX8. These can also be transferred when buying privately at Autosures discretion for $150.

tony9, Dec 5, 1:12am
Well clearly they will never pay out on damage to a rotary engine.

pthorn, Dec 5, 2:17am
Did you discuss with them at all about engine replacement? I just rang and spoke to one of there sales rep who said yes its all covered, but just that first clause seems like there could be wriggle room.

Heart says buy one, head says no haha.

fordcrzy, Dec 5, 9:48am
workmate bought a brand new crate motor from japan for rx8 and it was about 7-8K from memory. better than a rebuild

familiadude, Dec 6, 8:33am
rx8's dont all die young. My mate has an rx8 with 180k on the clock and it was still running but he wants to do a rx7 turbo engine conversion or some crap to it

ozz1, Dec 7, 12:53am
rx8. yes you'd definitly need a mechanical warranty.
look else where. theres better and more reliable cars out there.

brapbrap8, Dec 7, 3:56am
RX8s seem to be priced accordingly, look at a Subaru WRX of the same year and mileage and they are about double the price.
The Renesis is a bit of an unloved motor, unlike the 13b which is extremely popular.

fordcrzy, Jul 20, 5:26pm
technically the renisis is still a 13b. but as i said . its the ecu that sucks. people in the market for a rotary need to ask themselves why the older rx7 still commands more $$$ than an rx8 thats 15 years newer