Extended Warranty when Buying from a Dealer

fekim, May 27, 7:26am
Okay, I know I should have read ALL the finance documents before I bought the car. The dealer explained that they provide a six month, "no conditions" warranty, followed by a three year warranty with such and such company. No extra or added cost was mentioned, nor was I given the option of having it or not. Reading the Warranty booklet this morning, I discover that the cost is "non-refundable". So I check the finance forms, and yes, I have been charged $999.00 for the extended warranty. This had not been explained to me, and I believe I have been mislead. Is there any way I can get the warranty cancelled. There is no 30 day "out" like I have had in other warranties.

redslapper, May 27, 7:31am
they are a good thing, i brought a car with it on and the wheel bearing went on it, could of cost 900 but it only costed me 100, wouldn't buy anything without it

crzyhrse, May 27, 7:36am
$900 for a wheel bearing! Yeah, right.

aragorn2003, May 27, 7:42am
wow , was it made of gold or something!

crzyhrse, May 27, 7:47am
Sounds to me like it was made of B.S.

lk104, May 27, 7:48am
It will be a bearing and hub

ringo2, May 27, 7:52am
Unfortunately you should have read the finance forms properly before signing up. Around 60% of the extended warranty charge goes to the dealer. Half of the extended warranties are not worth the paper that they are written on!

fekim, May 27, 8:12am
Totally agree with you. The actual extended warranty does have a start date of 25/11/11. As I said, I know I should have read the finance papers etc, even though they were explained briefly to me. No mention of a cost against the ext warranty. Even when I followed the dealers pen down the HP papers as he explained the price of new buy, the trade in amount, the balance owing, the interest payable etc, there was still no mention of the warranty cost. Wasn't till I had a closer peek at all the papers this morning that I came across the amount in the "costs" column. Ah well, guess I have to wear it.

poppajn, May 27, 8:39am
I had one , it was great, paid for itself in 2 repairs. All you have to do is get the serviceing done on time and the garage fills in the book and stamps it.

franc123, May 27, 8:58am
You get those sort of bills when you drive Rolls Royce!What the hell car costs $900 for one wheel bearing, even including labour!Spill the beans.

rojakell, May 27, 6:43pm
A toyota corona.Year 2000, comes with a fully sealed assembly that includes hub and ABS sensor and the works.$750 part cost plus Labour

fekim, May 28, 8:46am
2003 Toyota Avensis.

I spoke to the dealer today who is "sure" he explained it all to me. But he didn't. And as I said before, I know you should read the fine print etc before signing, but in reality, who does. 90% of people, and I'm one, probably don't. Especially when the dealer has another couple sitting at his door waiting their turn to get "signed up". With him it was you can read it all if you want, but it's the same old stuff you've seen tons of time before I suppose. With the CPI insurance, at least I can back out of that one.Mainly because of the "health" clause whereby you can't claim for any payout if you have a pre-existing condition. I have written and told them I am cancelling that. They asked about redundancy to which I replied, I retire in 6 months. I can't be made redundant from retirement, unless I die, in which case, under the pre-existing clause, you still wouldn't pay out lol.

redslapper, May 28, 8:48am
correct lol

redslapper, May 28, 8:49am
on a commodore, prob didn't help it was done at the holden place

julian.walls, Apr 12, 12:18pm
Be Careful according to May issue of Autotalk - one of the smaller players in Warrantly business,Link went bust; apparently its main company an insurance company had too many claims from CHCH earthquake and could not meet its committments - Is thought 1800 consumers could be affected - So if you take out a warrantly make sure its a major player like Autosure otherwise you will left with a worthless piece of paper!