Possible warranty issue

aaron101, Oct 18, 3:59am
Sorry have only just come back to read, and I hate when people start a story but don't let you know the outcome!

All the mechanical stuff which more happened after they had fixed the original problem, but was a result of the suspension bolt snapping, has been dealt with. Just waiting for paint and panel but as school hols need my car - so we will deal with that next week! all costs covered by them bar our 100 excess (plus a light the found not working lol) Usually its not covered but because we have had the car less than a year they will cover the cost.

Kazbanz, yes it is very very unusual. but you know one of those things that *can* happen. we are just fortunate it wasn't when we were not going really fast and that there was no other traffic around.

All in all we have been looked after by this top CHCH caryard so we will certainly look there first with our next purchase.

aaron101, Sep 27, 11:24pm
as I am waiting on hold for consumer affairs I thought I'd ask the experienced here.

Our car we purchased in Jan '11 had a pretty major incident on friday, the supsension joint bolt snapped and as a result the suspension gave way and our car wheel was at a 90* angle. Thank god we were only going 5k's if that at the time. It has damaged the mud guard and was not driveable as you can imagine. We purchased a 3 year mechanical warranty with it (phew) and they are saying at this point its covered, - bearing in mind they have basically fixed all the components without actually telling us, they just went ahead and did it, we only found as out we decided to go there in person yesterday.
Our problem is they are saying that they are unsure whether the warranty will cover the paint and panel repairs which we don't think is good enough it wasn't damaged before its quite obvious the only damage is from that incident . - they have also had the paint/panel repair all arranged to be done without our say so aswell.
I get that in the fine print they say they don't pay for paint/panel but this was as a result of mechanical failure. so my question is are we right or are they right! (this all could be a non issue if they agree they are at fault of course but hmmm my confidence in that is somewhat tarred)

aaron101, Sep 27, 11:28pm
We also had a full service done in July as well as a WOF

yogibearz, Sep 27, 11:39pm
whats sort of vehicle.how old and how many km !If it is NZ new you may have some redress back to the manufacturer.Which extended warranty company, some regretfully are no much use some are very good.

curlcrown, Sep 27, 11:48pm
If I understand corectly they have already done the panel and paint without telling you first. Therefore they can not expect you to pay no matter what the warranty says. You never asked for it to be done so you should'nt have to pay.

aaron101, Sep 28, 12:34am
thanks for your replies :)

its a 2000 odyessy so not NZ new. the repair will be covered, labour included. and if they don't agree to panel/paint fee then we will just claim it back under consequential loss .
But yes Curlclown the paint and panel repair wasn't done yesterday as they were waiting for a part to come back repaired, but was supposed to go in today. we still haven't actually agreed.

yogibearz, Sep 28, 12:59am
what are they repairing as oppossed to replacing!Is it resultant damage !

kazbanz, Sep 28, 1:05am
aaronFor clarification who is the "they " you keep refering to!
If it is indeed a warranty company then there may very well be specific exclusions to the policy for panel damage regfardless of cause.
I agree you could make a case that it is DIRECTLYconcequential damage from the mechanical failure but HMM I dunno how you would get on if there is a specific exclusion.

aaron101, Sep 28, 1:22am
repairing the axle. nothing major but little rings! (cant remember what the guy said) all came off from being towed

they = the car company / policy, vero insurance just underwrites the policy but the company we bought the car from does the warranty. Consumer affairs put us onto the consequential damage - the policy itself doesn't specifically exclude damage from failure though.!
guess we will see.

kazbanz, Sep 28, 1:34am
hang on a mo aaron
You bought a car from a dealer that sells "vero" Mechanical breakdown insurance.
Im with you so far. So its likely an Autosure or AA policy
Ok so if it is then in your policy bookon page 6 it will say excess--then under that it will say -"we do not cover"
item 3 will say Chasis,panel,paintwork,glass.-
My understanding is that this damage is covered under your accident damage policy.
Thinking about it I wonder if in fact you are claiming off the wrong policy
arguably the bolt failing was an accident and as such should be covered in full by your accident insurance.

aaron101, Sep 28, 6:13am
we know that most will be covered by warranty so far, the dealer has said that much. no problem there. I have read the policy and yes it says that - however it specifically excludes damage from certain things, user/fixer failure but doesn't specifically exclude damage caused from mechanical failure. I guess for now its just a wait and see. :)

msigg, Sep 28, 6:13am
yes they will fix the paint.

kazbanz, Dec 31, 3:12pm
aaron--I must say what has happened is VERY unusual.
Basicly it really doesn't make sense at all. Ie the bit that "just broke"
IN NO WAY am I doubting your story so this suggests perhaps there was preexisting damage or perhaps stuff not tightened propperly after compliance inspection
How long have you owned the vehicle!
did you get a prepurchase inspection!
If only a VERY (less than a month) short time then maybee the dealer is covering the cost of paint damage.