Seem to have paint OVERSPRAY on car

flagheaven, Sep 8, 9:39am
must have been when parkedoutside a spray paint shop !
as was not there when bought vehicle and now has a roughish surface and tiny spots - dusting of paint all over car.
would a good old CUT and POLISH be the best idea or should i take to a pro - paint shop or !

thejazzpianoma, Sep 8, 9:44am
Results will vary depending on how heavy the overspray is but a good place to start is with a clay bar. Specifically a red one if available.

Buy one from an auto paint wholesaler and apply with some soapy water.

I can post some video instructions if you want to give it a go.

thejazzpianoma, Sep 8, 9:46am
Here is a link that should give you an idea of what to do. I don't think I would use the McGuires product though, the paint wholesalers ones are likely stroppier.

http://www.youtube.com/watch!v=yfEfLGL59GI

lookoutas, Sep 8, 9:47am
It'll come off with a cut & heaps of elbow grease

thejazzpianoma, Sep 8, 9:51am
Not to heckle lookoutas but to clarify further. The reason to try the clay bar first is that its a lot easier if doing by hand and it wont rip in to your paint like heavy cutting will. If the bar wont do the business for you then as lookoutas said, go for gold.
I have some tips for sorting a proper commercial quality buffer on the cheap if you would rather spend the money on a buff of your own instead of paying someone to do it. Likewise I can give some tips on good cutting compound if need be.

rob_man, Sep 8, 10:39am
Yep, try the clay first. I've taken a lot of potentially disastrous stuff off paint with it.

richard198, Sep 8, 9:40pm
A significant amount of overspray will probably bond a lot better than dust and airbourne contaminants.
I use Farecla G3 paste compound (+ water) with a machine buffer. It will lift the overspray and hardly touch your clearcoat.
(Just in case the clay doesn't do it)

lookoutas, Sep 9, 9:51pm
Going by the first explanation, it would probably only be a light dusting, hence the best option would be to start with a wash, then polish, and work upwards until something is found that works.
No sense in piling in with the meanest tool, that might be unnecessary.

Never laid a hand on one of them clay bars!
Showing my age I would recommend Repo, or Repo, or if none of that was available I'd go for Repo.

thejazzpianoma, Sep 10, 12:32am
No offence intended lookoutas but thats the problem with what you have said!

I agree with your working your way up to whats required using the least damaging product first.

Trouble is because you have dismissed the clay bar (because you have not tried one) you have taken the easiest and gentlest (and probably most likely successful) step out of your process.

Get yourself a clay bar man, working without one is like saying you don't need any flat bladed screwdrivers because the MRS has got a nice draw full of knives.

I don't mean to be a Nazi about this but somehow as a tool the clay bar has never been added to so many peoples tool kits. Its not like its some sort of obscure "nice to have" piece of kit its really pretty essential and irreplaceable.

Sure you can use cutting compound to replace it but at the expense of heavy wear on your paint and if you don't have a buff some serious hard work and time.

thejazzpianoma, Oct 17, 9:05am
I agree the Farecla products are lovely and would be exactly what I would have recommended as a next step too.