Getting rid of a car in Taranaki

fordluva, Sep 8, 9:35am
you seem to hear everywhere these days that scrap dealers are paying good coin for whole cars, Im trying to help out a mate who has an EF falcon which has just snapped the timing chain and smashed a lifter amongst no doubt other things, I figure its not worth much but was a good car up until this, he needs to get something back out of it to go towards another car and realistically cant afford to fix it, who around Taranaki pays the good coin we hear so much about!

bash, Sep 8, 9:45am
I will give you $200 for it or trade on my listing

michael.benn, Sep 8, 9:54am
I'm sure someone can give you more than $200. That's pretty low.

trader_84, Sep 8, 9:58am
$200 is getting up near scrap price.

franc123, Sep 8, 10:01am
whats the rest of it like, how many km's, WOF/licence status, good trans and diff, tidy otherwise!Its not hard or expensive to just put another engine in, I wouldn't wreck it or sell it to a lowballer just for that reason.Whats a replacement car going to cost!

mk3zephyr, Sep 8, 10:27am
You get the best coin from the scrappy up by the Port, But another engine for a Falcon isnt much these days. So it would depend on the condition of the car, If it was still in good nick then i would go for an engine swap.

fordluva, Sep 8, 5:19pm
well its currently registered and warranted, body isnt bad but does have a bad crack in the front bumper and the interior is a bit shabby, he doesnt have the means to replace the engine and has another vehicle lined up, its done around 240,000kms from memory

trader_84, Sep 8, 9:19pm
It sounds like he's already made up his mind. Shame though . scrap price for a car is crap in real terms. I mean . what does $250 buy you now days in terms of car stuff. Nada.

bubbles52, Sep 9, 6:18am
i ford dismantler pays 500 for them

fordluva, Sep 9, 6:31am
at the end of the day you have to weigh it up, realistically the cars probably worth $1500 running, could be more if you were prepared to wait, havent found an engine for much less than $500 and due to the lack of the gear or know how he'd be paying someone to fit it, as well as waiting for it to be done $500 as it is sounds realistic, currently out of work but was offered a job last week, then the car clapped out. hence needs a quick and cheap solution, has another car lined up that needs minimal work he can do himself and is a smaller car which he wanted anyway, I have helped him into the new car but needs the funds to clear the debt, hence he cant afford to keep the falcon and fix it, otherwise Im sure he would.

mk3zephyr, Oct 17, 11:07am
Walshes in Inglewood wreck Fords so they may be interested. Fords R Us in New Plymouth have gone Tits up so no use contacting them. New Plymouth Auto spares on Hori St have just had a big dung out so Pep will probably be buying