Not Motoring

jay.da, Sep 8, 6:47am
But does anyone know who or where I can get a fairly tight curved 90 degree bend in plywood!

gunhand, Sep 8, 6:50am
Jigsaw and sheet of ply id say.

grangies, Sep 8, 6:52am
What do you actually mean!

Do you want it as a single piece!

thejazzpianoma, Sep 8, 6:54am
I agree, its all a bit vague. I take it you know about curving plywood tightly by sawing cuts in the back that don't go all the way through!

jay.da, Sep 8, 6:54am
I could do that but I want a nice curve, What about if I use a heat gun and melt the glue some how will that work!

gunhand, Sep 8, 6:55am
I think you need to explain what you are trying to do.

jay.da, Sep 8, 6:56am
oksay I have a sheet of ply 1200x2400, I am wanting to bend it to a 'L' shape like a skate ramp but a tighter curve!

drew2009, Sep 8, 6:58am
You cannot bend ply very "tight" without it just snapping. To form plywood you need quite a big radius. For boat building and the likes they steam it.

johnf_456, Sep 8, 7:00am
Gardening and diy might have some more info

jay.da, Sep 8, 7:06am
cheers guys just googled might put that idea to rest for now

grangies, Sep 8, 7:06am
OK. I'm not trying to be insulting/arrogant here.

BUT. Since you have such a big piece of ply-wood and you wish to bend it as such. And have come in here asking how to do it, meansyou probably have no idea on how in the first place.!

What you suggest you want, is really a job that is only undertaken by a professional . And even most boat builders or carpenters would cringe at having to do such a task.

foxdonut, Sep 8, 7:10am
You'd need a pool of water deep enough to soak the board, some type of vice mechanism to bend it over time and - a shit load of time and patience.

Given its a composite its probably not that hard to bend but the dimensions you're working with would make for a pretty mammoth task for a backyard job.

jay.da, Sep 8, 7:17am
yea I have no idea what was/is involved, just had an idea for a TV cabinet but will go with a easier plan thanks anyway.

golem, Sep 8, 7:18am
can do this way , similar principle.
http://www.youtube.com/watch!v=TYfRyt6OQkY&NR=1

h.e, Sep 8, 7:19am
many years ago i made a sand board,similar to a snow board but for sand dunes.i used 12mm ply, to curve the ends up i glued 2 pieces together sat it on 3 inch rhs at either end and put a anvil in the middle,it lost a bit of set but was still turned up a couple of inches either end.
laminate it to keep the shape

stevo2, Sep 8, 7:50am
You can buy bendable ply for the purpose you require. It has the grain going the opposite way to standard ply.
cheers stevo

stevo2, Sep 8, 8:29am
Just google "bendy ply" and you will see all the suppliers in NZ and sizes etc.
stevo

fryan1962, Oct 13, 8:42pm
soaked it a pool, then put a fat chick from Manakau on it, it will bend, Just keep bringing her beer she wont move