Importing a car from Japan. Hi everyone i am considering importing a car from japan as they seem to be quite a bit cheaper to bu

bridgetm2, Sep 24, 11:34pm
Hi everyone, I am considering importing a car from Japan as they seem to be quite a bit cheaper to buy.Has anyone done this before and can help me with the process!Any suggestions/tips!
Many thanks

kerrieann, Sep 24, 11:42pm
the ltsa (land transport) has guidelines on its web site so you dont import the wrong type or year of car, can be a big mistake if you dont start there

kazbanz, Sep 25, 1:32am
Bridget -use the search function and you will see many threads on this subject.
When looking at the cars in Japan just remember you need to add roughly $3000-$4000 to that price to cover shipping,gst and compliance costs.

tigra, Sep 25, 10:51pm
Keep an eye on currency conversion rates as well. Quite volatile at the moment and can add seriously to the cost of a car and perhaps to GST as well.

kazbanz, Sep 26, 12:07am
VOTATILE- now theres an understatement.

tigra, Sep 26, 12:19am
Well the Aussie dollar isnt. Mainly the US $ is bouncing around like a pingpong ball

bubbles52, Sep 26, 1:08am
is it a car that you cant buy here!

justincase5, Sep 26, 8:08am
No use asking for help with importing a car on here, If anyone does end up offering you free advise or assistance trademe blood hounds shoot the person offering the help. I offered my assistance free of charge to help other people on here and just got my messages deleted for being a nice guy. TRADEME doesn't like people offering help for free where they will not make money off it.Best Advise to Trademe is to start a HELP Section where people can help others for free and the person needing the help pays Trademe $5 or something like that, Just to satisfy the blood thirsty money hungry owners of trademe that they can get dosh from nicepeople that just want to help others for the hell of it. My Rant Over.Good Luck with your quest.

trdbzr, Sep 26, 8:11am
my advice is to start a random 50 cent buynow auction, then the person needing your help can get your email address and get in touch with you

carstauranga001, Sep 26, 8:38am
$NZ was 63 Yen last week.
$NZ now 58 Yen, loss of 5 cents or about 8%

Great time to buy stock already in NZ

justincase5, Sep 26, 9:22am
I think you miss the point, I am offering help for free, IE I should not pay to help the other person. He should set up the auction and he should pay. But Trademe would find a reason to stop that as they would think they are missing out on $$$ that should be more yadda yadda yadda. My Point here is that Trademe doesn't like people offering others help for FREE.They don't make $$$$ from good FREE people being nice.