How do you repair peeling paint

snapperitup, Sep 25, 11:23pm
on a car !

rob_man, Sep 25, 11:28pm
I'm doing one at the moment. Wet sand the peeling areas with 320 or 400 until the edges are feathered nicely, a light prime over the affected bits then prepare as per normal. 600 the primer and scotch the rest of the affected panels before painting.
Piece of cake.

richard198, Sep 25, 11:54pm
If clear coat is peeling seperately, worth using a razor blade to remove clear first. Will make subsequent sanding easier.

kazbanz, Sep 26, 1:11am
snapperitup--I suspect what you are actually asking is-can you JUST repair the clear coat
The answer is NO. Unfortunately the repair method is to stabilise the peeling clear somehow. which is what the other two posters are saying. Then prime and paint and new clear that entire panel

neville48, Sep 27, 6:11am
you wont stabilise or repair the clearcoat peeling, if you want to do it properly you are stripping back to the metal and starting again. If you are selling then a cheapy patch up just leaves it to the next owner, time just depends on where you keep it,in the sun and weather or in a garage,but with time ,it will continue peeling sooner than later. A lot of these peeling paint jobs are factory as well so why is this not becoming an issue with the manufacturers. I suppose we have to wait till someone with a lot of money pushes the issue. The sooner they get back to a better paint system the better. Come on painters out there, tell me how a successful basecoat/clearcoat job can be done because if you cruise the car parks etc you will see a zillion of these crap paint jobs falling off all kinds of cars and its criminal.

gunhand, Sep 27, 6:58am
You may well find many peeling paint jobs are ones that have been done for car yards. little or no prep and cheap as product used. They dont care as long as lasts till the car sells. And alot of car dealers will use the cheapest painters for that very reason, and the paint shop will keep it cheap to get the work from the yard. Geez I even know of painters who skimp on the correct amount of hardner just to save a dollar, or use the cheap hardner in the wrong clear.

rob_man, Sep 27, 8:25am
Mostly I find the clear is peeling off the basecoat which points to either really cheap clear or clear that was applied before the basecoat is dry. Razor blading the remaining clear doesn't seem to work as well as it used to, what remains on seems to be stuck like shit to a blanket.
Mostly I find that the people who have the problem aren't prepared to pour a whole lot of money into a car that is probably ten years old and depreciating rapidly so the quick fix option is what they opt for. It's their car after all.

neville48, Sep 27, 9:02am
and the factory paintjobs that are falling off ! why is someone not responsible for these. If a person garages their car and uses polishes etc why would they not expect 20 years out of a factory paint. I own a 72 vehicle from california,it has original paint, not mint but all there. Why do we not get the benefits of advanced technology in paint systems,it seems technology is failing dismally in this direction so why are the manufacturers not held accountable !

rob_man, Sep 27, 9:23am
I haven't come across a lot of factory paint failing although it does happen, our UV is hard on clears as the Germans found when the first COB finishes appeared in the 70s on BMWs and Mercs but there is pretty good UV resistence built into the better clears nowadays.

zeroh, Nov 27, 11:11am
Probably the same reason they have not been able to developed a marine varnish that will last much over a couple of years.UV.