Car repairs - whats the worst/funniest youve seen!

Page 2 / 3
thejazzpianoma, Oct 1, 10:10pm
I am all for saving a few dollars on VW parts but I do worry about these Chinese aftermarket options.

ola_bitchola1, Oct 1, 10:15pm
reminds me of when i owned my ae85 found the whole front x member was held togeather with underseal . when we removed it from the car to fit the new one we broke it apart at ether end with screwdrivers luckly the chassis rails were still mint

cocabowla, Oct 1, 10:46pm
there IS a brand of duct tape called duck tape, even has the obligatory duck on its packing

mottly, Oct 2, 3:08am
a fully qualified mechanic friend of mine had garden hose as fuel lines in his daily driver wtf!!

a.woodrow, Oct 2, 3:11am
I've seen handbrake cables replaced with fencing wire, didn't really work though. Also we had a car come in where they had stuffed newspaper into the rotten sills and taped it over with black silage! tape to make it look nice

mottly, Oct 2, 3:13am
what's wrong with newspaper!We used tissues for the pillars, then bogged over the top *lmao* didn't last long tho

a.woodrow, Oct 2, 3:19am
haha they hadn't even bothered with the bog though

mottly, Oct 2, 3:20am
doh.fail

kazbanz, Oct 2, 3:53am
dodgiest/scariest I've dealt with was a car that came in with funny brakes.
The left front brake line was clipped off with a pair of vice grips.

easygoer, Oct 2, 5:26am
A mate of mine used No8 wire to fix the steering box back onto the chassis rail of his MK1 Zephyr then drove wooden wedges in to tighten it, another time we went up north and the gears wouldn't change, he drove the car up to the top of ninety mile beach and took the gearbox out, stripped it and found a cir-clip had broken, he hammered a new clip from some fencing wire and drove it into the gear box, worked well and got us back to Hamilton

trogedon, Oct 2, 6:12am
I have an MGB that someone had packed out the end of the sills with a California newspaper and then covered over them with bog.

crzyhrse, Oct 2, 6:33am
That's actually a legitimate USPS vehicle conversion.

tuttyclan, Oct 2, 6:49am
Some interesting cars here.
http://www.youtube.com/watch!v=N7vYloQYjcU

morrisman1, Oct 2, 7:02am
thats primo tutty.

tuttyclan, Oct 2, 7:03am

tuttyclan, Oct 2, 7:11am

clark20, Oct 2, 7:28am
Both names are correct, it was used in WW2 to keep the ammunition tins dry, they would tape around the lid to seal it, and from the saying " like water off a ducks back" it was named duck tape. Later on it was used in air con etc and called Duct tape.

rob_man, Oct 2, 8:05am
A piece of 4X2 pine shaped up and rammed inside the rusted sill of an HD Holden (whoever heard of a rusty HD!) and bogged over.
Barry Crump told us a story over a cup of tea that involved a traded in Triumph motorcycle at a Honda dealership that had been ridden down from up north somewhere running on one cylinder. When they pulled it apart they found it had one piston made from macrocarpa.

yogibearz, Oct 2, 8:23am
apprentice balancing the drive shaft on his car. Car was in gear running on axle stands while he ground the drive shaft with an angle grinder. For some reason he didnt make the grade !

franc123, Oct 2, 8:53am
LMAO that makes you wonder what he was trying to achieve there.You need to be adding weight not removing it!

amc184, Oct 2, 10:01am
I recently heard of a guy whose newly bought used twin turbo Legacy wasn't making as much power as it should.He had a closer look at the primary turbo and found that it had no compressor or turbine, just a bolt through the middle where the shaft should have been.

cocabowla, Oct 2, 10:21am
when i had a jumbo hiace brought in a few years back from japan they must have slapped it back together just for the auction, had no step plate under the rear bumper , the front bumper had no support frame and was held on by screws and heavy duty wire and finally to patch a hole in the rear floorpan a ciggy packet size hole ( guess they'd had something mounted through it once ) was filled with clear silastic.

phalanax, Oct 2, 9:21pm
olde 50 cent peice used as a frost plug.steering box with alternator attached.

michael.benn, Oct 3, 4:10am
Ha! lol.

lookoutas, Oct 3, 4:53am
I've mentioned on here before - Old fulla who owned the group of workshops where I served my time, made a wooden piston for his son's Jag. It did about 50 miles.
Also saw a big cloud of smoke drifting past the workshop one day, so had a look to see what was happening, and here he was with his car jacked up - skillsaw set to the required depth, and cutting new thread in his bald tyres. The saw was turning the wheels, which was good planning, until he slipped, and invented a water dispersing tread pattern.