Clutch cost - is this right!

tigertim20, Oct 5, 8:40am
a few of you may recall me asking about a Iseki Bolens TX 2140 tractor a while ago,it was having issues with the overrunning clutch on the PTO.
Well I got onto the job today, poulled it all apart. 'The cam clutch' (as the guy at the tractor placed called it) for the PTO was at the bottom of the gearbox (great placement Iseki!)
Anyways, The gearbox is in bits on my floor at the momment, and i took the clutch into a tractor place, and they told me it would be $594 for a new one. I thought shit thats steep, and Im wondering if others thought that was on the high side, and im wondering where else you might recomment for a better/alernative price! It doesnt matter if they arent in dunedin, the parts is quite small (surprisingly i thought) and oarts can be shipped by courier.

any help or thoughts appreciated

pollymay, Oct 5, 9:22am
I looked in my dads pricing catalogue and couldn't find anything. A lot is dependent on if you want genuine or pirate copies, sometimes the copies are better, othertimes crap. My dad would know what is what but has kinda got out of that game

tigertim20, Oct 5, 9:31am
ok. Im happy with suggestions of where else i can go for a price as well, Ive only been to the one place thus far, just not sure what places/companies are more likely to offer reasonable prices compared to the competition

treecave, Oct 5, 9:38am
i used to work on tractors years ago and onwhat it cost to buy standard flywheelclutches/parts back thenand taking in to account i dont know the specific parts you are talking about, i would think that would be a pretty fair price. have you tried googling the tractor make/models and get some prices from overseas dealers. might give you a rough estimate as to price comparisonin nz

pollymay, Oct 5, 10:06am
Lol my dad MIGHT, he kinda sells stuff when he feels like it. He is a bare-co distributor. I'd have to ask him for a price and stuff, if I remember I'll ask him offhand for a ballpark estimate, he's been working on tractors for about 30 years so usually can just estimate off the bat anyway.

That kinda stuff usually isn't cheap though and some brands are pricks, a lot of jap stuff changed things yearly and then there is brands like fiat which made good tractors but let some stuff be produced by places like romania and it's slightly different which makes parts different and also it's made out of recycled poo. I'm not the tractor guy though so wouldn't know the ins and outs of that model.

next-to-normal, Oct 5, 10:16am
http://www.ebay.com/itm/ISEKI-TX1300-TX1500-TX2146-TX2160-TRACTOR-CLUTCH-/160641880821
here you go $150 us
18 spline clutch disc available$110.00

Release bearing also available$40.00

pollymay, Oct 5, 10:23am
Looks like a pirate clutch for the engine. Could be wrong but doesn't look like a pto unit

next-to-normal, Oct 5, 10:41am

pollymay, Oct 5, 11:17am
Lol as long as that isn't a one way clutch thing or a safety clutch. There are a million bazillion things that confuse me on tractors sometimes. My friends don't even know how to drive the one on the farm and they aren't exactly stupid. Must make me a genius cause I can operate all the levers, gears, hydraulics and PTO controls perfectly.

crzyhrse, Oct 5, 9:20pm
Cam clutch, sprag clutch, one-way clutch, overrun clutch. all valid names for the same thing.

the-lada-dude, Oct 5, 9:38pm
as CRZYHRSEsaid it is highly likely to just be spragg clutch. in the photo i think this unit might disassemble cause i'm sure i can see a circlipif you get it apart you may find it has a standard size spragg bearing.all the bearing shops carry this sort of stuff,

tigertim20, Oct 5, 11:31pm
thanks for the replies. Yes it does come apart, if someone can tell me how to upload photos, ill upload a picture of it partly dissassembled. its not the engine clutch, and after pulling it apart, I can see why the guy called it a 'cam clutch' specifically. The rolling pins inbetween the centre and the casing are irregular in shape, a bit like a cam, and allow the centre to rotatle freely in one direction, but when turned the other way, the pins roll onto a flatter surface, jam up, and force the interior and the casing to rotate as one unit. Interesting design, but I still feel $600 is steep. Next to normal is on a closer track to what i want with his link, so it looks like maybe aftermarket might be the go. Can anybody recommend a particular shop or something that might be able to help further!

next-to-normal, Oct 5, 11:53pm

crzyhrse, Oct 6, 2:06am

crzyhrse, Oct 6, 9:30pm
Nothing!

skiff1, Oct 8, 11:15am
sounds like a bargain, my old man was quoted $54 bucks for wheel bolts for his I-squeaky each not for a whole set.

skiff1, Oct 8, 11:18am
pollymay wrote:

That kinda stuff usually isn't cheap though and some brands are pricks, a lot of jap stuff changed things yearly and then there is brands like fiat which made good tractors but let some stuff be produced by places like romania and it's slightly different which makes parts different and also it's made out of recycled poo. quote]
Hey dont knock the romanians, my UTB is a beast and eats the ground up. 4WD will climb over anything silly enough to stand still

pollymay, Oct 8, 11:32am
I worked on a Romanian Fiat. What a dog that thing was, I rewired it front to back, installed headlights cause it didn't come with any, engine was locked solid so soaked it in ATF over a week then cracked it free with a bar, new intake pipes and had to diddle the injection a bit.

Then my dad sold it and didn't give me a cent. I spent $200 getting it going to on odd bits like a new seat etc. Was not on talking terms for a while there cause it took me 2 solid weeks of work to get it going which at the time I was making about 700 a week give or take so you do the math on that deal.

I have a PILE of wheel bolts I think if you have thread pitch etc. There is a nack to this, like ford steering wheels are held on with some models by a weird thread weird size nut. $40 a pop from ford. Anyway one day me and my dad went through a nut and bolt catalogue and found a match, turns out a certain type used by a bike company fits, $3.

treecave, Dec 29, 2:57pm
i have worked on romanian fiats too. much as i love fiat tractors , they were a disaster. not uncommon to have new tractors with porous cylinder heads. they did the fiat name quite a bit of damage but werent bought into nz for long.