Car prices going up.

shaun16, Oct 7, 7:33pm
ok so theres all this talk of car prices going up soon. will they go up that much, or are they car yards trying to sell more cars! my car is getting old and tired and i'll need to replace it soon. should i be doing it sooner rather than later!

sian555, Oct 7, 7:36pm
I would say they will go up. especially the import stuff cause the rules are changing with what you can bring in. also not selling as many new cars so late model kiwi new stuff is getting harder and harder to get aswell.

franc123, Oct 7, 8:40pm
the prices will only go up if people are willing to pay them, if more money is instead being channelled into repairing the existing fleet, at least for the time being, and the turnover isn't happening, importers and dealers are hardly in a position to be hiking prices.We are already seeing this in the repair trade.It's all too easy to focus on "the new rules" without looking at whats happening in the wider economy.One certainty I reckon is that a significant amount of dealers are not going to make it through the next two years, its patently obvious that many of them are scared of having to raise prices (true) to levels that are uncomfortably close to new cars.

kazbanz, Oct 7, 9:14pm
Car prices are NOT going up in the near future. whats going to change is carAVAILIBILITY.
Car dealers aren't silly enough to suddenly on Jan 1 go rubbin hands in glee and put $2000 higher prices on their stock.
BUT- Dealers wont be able to BUY stock in japanthat retails in the 6-10k range. after the end of octoberor if they have really big gonads mid november.
I diddn't just dream that up its simple maths.
Buy car- get to wharf 1 week. Wait on wharf 1 week.3-4 weeks shipping.
that doesn't leave a lot of time to get it compliedand remembering theres a shutdown of workin december--christmas holidays.
So againa year 2000/2001 car wont go up right away--you are just gonna find it harder to find that year 2000/ 2001 car

bill-robinson, Oct 7, 9:37pm
Should car prices go up you do not have to buy. If people stop buying then prices will come down.simple economics, you do not have to buy a car just after a price increase.

richynuts, Oct 7, 11:33pm
I reckon car prices for early to mid 90's cars have definitely gone up, these cars you could pick up for $1000 a year or 2 ago but now $2k+ especially if under 200,00km, I prefer these cars as hate anything with tiptronic, abs, airbags when just for a work hack, I want a reliable car without the worry of anything expensive going wrong.

neo_psy, Oct 7, 11:45pm
What's the story with European Jappas! Do they already comply with the new rules, or are the same things happening!

rob_man, Oct 8, 12:02am
Fully agree with that, what's happening is the equivalent of forcing someone to buy a Lear Jet when they only want a Piper Cub.

pauloc, Oct 8, 12:10am
BMW comply from 2005 onwards,
VW Beetle, Jetta, Polo, Touran2007 onwards
Alfa Romeo 2007 onwards
Citroen C2,C2.C4,C5,C6 2007 onwards

rob_man, Oct 8, 12:21am
Curious about how you define old and tired, not criticising, just trying to get a handle on how people are going to respond to the changes.
Has the car done huge Ks! is it actually worn out or just suffering because of deferred maintenence and would it get a new lease on life if it had a few bucks spent on it. That sort of thing.

rocker_553, Oct 8, 12:36am
I've noticed the prices of Gen 6 Celica's falling for the last 4 years, well under $10K for the past year. They've suddenly risen again to around an average of $12K. And that's for a 10-12 year old car! Same with Altezza's, although theyw ere overpriced to begin with.

shaun16, Oct 8, 1:04am
the cars done high k's, runs poorly etc. car has been serviced good while i've owned it. i could fix it but the amount of money i have to spend on it, i could probably buy another car for not much more. also you ever know if the auto or engine is just going to crap itself etc

rob_man, Oct 8, 1:08am
Fair enough.

elect70, Oct 8, 2:27am
Shortage of cars ex japan I would saydue to amount of cars lost to thetsunami , they needreplacements& newcar industryhaving problemswith gettingproduction . up to speedagain .

kazbanz, Oct 8, 9:23pm
A euro is a euro as far as emissions are concerned

justincase5, Oct 9, 4:43am
Newer Vehicles will have to be imported come Late November to latest being early december for the January Next Year cut-off as they need to be in the compliance centre and through the system prior to the rule change coming in, so the lighter cheaper prices experienced now for imports are cheaper than they will be from January next year, What is already here has no need to rise in price and will not do so.It won't matter to anyone but the importer or the person that wants to buy the vehicles coming off the boats from January next year.

intrade, Oct 9, 10:41am
we just purchased a brand new car for 13000$ nz when i use the currant exchange rate . the car uses 5.8 liter 95 octane petrol no pinking probably due to real 95 octanes here in europe i dont know and it is euro 5 emissionhas 3 year warranty 1 full tank of gas and a higway ticket on the windscreen for 1 year. i just done over 2500km with it in the last 2 month.
It is seriously not funny how people in Nz get ripped off left right and center for food and transport. Elecronic prices are about the same for nz and the rest of the world but that is about it.
Car is a Dacia sandero sadly wont be produced for right hand drive but its biger 4x4 should be out soon for england and australia dacia -duster
the sandero is a renault-clio platform produced in rumania.

kazbanz, Oct 9, 7:34pm
intrade-do you want to tell now the price of petrol over there! or the price of a steak!

rob_man, Oct 9, 7:37pm
The current price of currants must be quite high.

rocker_553, Oct 9, 8:08pm
Assuming he's in the UK:
?

justincase5, Oct 9, 8:08pm
where is Rumania !Is that where there is lots of Rumours or something.Don't be surprised if Trademe disables your account for not living in New Zealand or Australia there Intrade. I got disabled when I lived in Japan so I can't see any difference with you.come on narks.let trademe know like you all did to me years ago !

justincase5, Oct 9, 8:10pm
What is the speed limit on a HIGWAY !

elect70, Dec 21, 5:46pm
Are you James may s brother( of Top Gearfame)he seemed to think those things were great to .