Auto to manual conversion

geebaby_, Oct 10, 8:12am
i have a series 1 r33 gtst. it factory auto i was wondern do you have to drill holes in firewall for the clutch cylinder.

m16d, Oct 10, 8:20am
The only auto to manual conversion I've done was a6/110Wolseley in about 1970. Didn't have to drill any holes,. Should be the same.

andrea_w, Oct 10, 8:30am
Have a look at the firewall where the clutch master cylinder will go. Check for factory holes.
If there are none, guess what you need to do.

jmma, Oct 10, 8:46am
Might have to drill a hole for the clutch pedal (o:

jasongroves, Oct 10, 9:37am
Check out skylinesdownunder.
They will most likely have a step by step guide.

owene, Oct 10, 9:38am
Check on the need to have the vehiclere-complied. If you don't then next WOF you may hit a wall.

ginga4lyfe, Oct 10, 9:43am
converting to manual does NOT need a cert IF you use all factory parts and they bolt upto mounts already there, in this case skylines are the same regaurdless of being manual or auto, so all you need to do is get the box, box linkages,flywheel, clutch and gearbox mounts and depending on the model, maybe a driveshaft to suit, if its all factory and you do not do ANY structual work to get it to fit, you do not need a cert

franc123, Oct 10, 10:11am
A common misconception, actually you do strictly speaking if you are using a replacement crossmember that was not fitted to that particular car ex factory.If you did the conversion properly and neatly chances are it wouldn't be picked up, the problem with most of these manual conversions is that the dicks that do them nearly always make a mess of something that gives the game away, usually the centre console gets butchered or glued up or the auto one gets adapted instead of fitting the correct one and it screams loudly that its been converted.

richardmayes, Oct 10, 10:14am
Sometimes the word AUTOMATIC on the WoF sheet screams loudly that the car's been converted also.

owene, Oct 10, 10:35am
Bollox. The cert that is currently on the vehicle will state that it's an auto. How do you explain to the WOF inspector that it's now a manual - he's not qualified or likely to be willing to check the standard of workmanship in the conversion. Ask a WOF inspector before you start.

kazbanz, Oct 10, 8:20pm
Gebaby this has been done so many times before I can tell you for certain there will be a stepby step instruction to do it. A freind did it a few years back and the only issue he ran into was that the auto and manual driveshaft is different. The legal stuff will need attending to but provided you use factory parts it will at worst case need a $300 look over by an engineer.

jsbike, Dec 24, 2:57pm
Yes the r33 needs to have the holes cut out for the clutch pedal, pretty sure the pattern is pressed into the firewall though so easy to cut out. Same deal for a 300zx a was recently crawling under.