Buying a car in the NI, can it be done without me

gunhand, Nov 13, 4:58am
being there!
Ive been in the market for another car for a few months and have untill Xmas to get one, or spend money on my wreck. Ive been watching XR6 AU11 and 111s and have found that in Auckland and other NI cities I can get the same car same KMs same condtion for up to $4k cheaper. I could fly up and then drive back but buy the time I did that I may as well buy in Southland.
Alot of yards offer $650 to CHCH and from here its $39 flight on the right day and $100 to drive back plus I have family in CHCH.
So unless one turns up in CHCH for $8 (and they do) I want to know if I can buy without being on sight.
Oh and the XR6s down here with 120 to 180kms on them retail at $12k
There was one for $9k but it was silver but I dont like silver.
This is in car yards. Im not interested in buying private unless I knew the owner or history of the car.
Cheers.

kayjoh, Nov 13, 5:29am
Send email to dealer and ask how do they do it. I did the other day and was told that they courier ownership papers to you to sign and return and then arrange transport of car to your door at your cost.

gunhand, Nov 13, 5:38am
Yes I intend to do this tonight since that cheap silver one has just come up.

gunhand, Nov 13, 5:46am
Looks fine but there is no come back on private sales. Ive been schooling up on the AU series falcons and no most there issues.

Oh, and I have 0 interest in manual sorry.

ceebee2, Nov 13, 5:49am
Gunhand you can pay online or credit card number over the net for AA or similar to check your car out and they send you the report. Used to cost about $120.00 and you don't have to be a member, however if you or any of your friends are you can use their AA number to get the discounted price. Easy as.

stevo2, Nov 13, 6:33am
I can recommend a spraypainter down your way
Stevo

gunhand, Nov 13, 6:36am
LOL, trouble is its a huge job to do a complete colour change. Just because i dont like those colours that much if the price was right i would cope.

cocabowla, Nov 13, 8:14am
they sell the trades from that yardgenerally as is where is so totally recommend an inspection first ( on the silver one )

owene, Nov 13, 8:19am
Why would you buy a car without first inspecting it! Or are you willing to trust a dealer or private vendor to fairly describe it to you! Good luck!

I once bought a car at night and when I woke up in the daylight and looked at it, one side was covered in sellotape and freshly sprayed paint. Never again.

gunhand, Nov 13, 8:19am
They dont mention AIWI in the add so being a dealer they will have to stand by the product I would think. Otherwise there misrepresenting there product and advertising.

crzyhrse, Nov 13, 10:02am
So have it checked before buying.

crzyhrse, Nov 13, 10:04am
AIWI doesn't mean jack for RMVTs.

cocabowla, Nov 14, 1:57am
it is a trade clearance yard, just happened to have a pick up out there this morning and stopped in for a squizz. yes it has the "as is where is" notice on dashboard , appears very tidy externally with just a very minor snail trail rust by a chip on lh rear boot edge( maybe .5cm )and some rust bubbling in lh lower of boot lid.
there was a dark blue one in yard next door (au1) but nose cone had a noticable gap on rh side between bonnet and possibly had the drivers side fender replaced to as didnt line up quite right. both were tickford but werent they all !

gunhand, Nov 14, 5:20am
Hey thanks for that bit of info. Looking at the pics I wondered if that was rust on the boot lid.
I Emailed them asking about buying without being there and a few other questions. All I got back was, "get it inspected & freight $750.
So it would seem they are not that interested in dealing with out of towners or they would have been a bit more helpfull I would have thought.
I got a family member to ring about one in CHCH not long ago and the first question was, Are you a local!I had Emailed them as well and got back a less than helpfull reply. However another yard had just sold one I enquired about and was very helpfull and friendly.

cocabowla, Nov 14, 6:10am
pay peanuts get monkeys, seems to turn over staff as quick as trade ins there

franc123, Feb 29, 5:53pm
You're not going to get red carpet treatment from a trade in yard on a $5500 car, they know that car is worth about $8K retail and also know that $750 for an independent check and shipping to the other end of the country is cheap.Purchase and get another bootlid, you might get another one in the right colour (Liquid Silver colour!) from a Ford wrecker or cut out the rot and touch it up, you've still got a heap of change out of a $10K budget haven't you!