Fun weekend car- 10-15k!

Page 1 / 2
kyussr32, Nov 15, 2:31am
I'm looking for something thats fun to punt around the Waitakere back roads on the way to the beach. Only criteria I guess are nimble, reliable, and good aftermarket support for tuning parts. Not interested in turbo cars, would rather focus on light weight and handling over power.

Top of the list is Integra Type R (bit boy racy looking and FWD but great engine and parts avalability)

MX5 (girly and not as grunty as the Type R but RWD and lots of parts)

Any others I should look at!

kiwicon, Nov 15, 2:32am
would stay away from both those you have mentioned tbh

bigjerry, Nov 15, 2:34am
You need a V8.

kyussr32, Nov 15, 2:43am
Both are good handing, lightweight sports cars which is what I want!

kyussr32, Nov 15, 2:44am
Heh I want to be driving Miranda Kerr not Oprah

kyussr32, Nov 15, 3:00am
Supra and Skyline might be a bit on the big side but I didn't realise S2000s were that cheap, might have to look into those.

kyussr32, Nov 15, 3:01am
Yes they look like a bag of fun but I need a little boot space!

geedubu, Nov 15, 3:05am
If you can fluke a Leitch or Fraser Lotus 7 clone for your money you won't get more fun for yr $.

bitsy_boffin, Nov 15, 3:23am
Get an older MX5 for peanuts, and put the rest of the money into hotting it up.

countrypete, Nov 15, 4:17am
Suzuki Cappuccino (yes I know it's turbo, but man, they are a hoot!)

richardmayes, Nov 15, 4:29am
That thing is rather awesome.

The trouble is, I can think of a lot of other $63,000 cars that would be awesome too, and far more useful than that thing.

If it was similar in price to a big bike, it would be a winner.

thegravelracer, Nov 15, 5:27am
go for the type r they handle better than the s2000 just a tad slower hardly noticeable tho

grangies, Nov 15, 6:13am
"" This award winning engine offers the power of a much bigger V8 while returning the fuel consumption of a 2 litre 4 cylinder car! ""

LOLOLOL

r15, Nov 15, 6:18am
The type r may out handle a s2000 but it would need a ton more power to become more fun than rwd

toppo1, Nov 15, 6:43am
Lotus 7, or buy a bike like the one I have listed. Been for a ride in a lotus 7 replica, was a fraser clubman. Best car ride ive ever been in

chris_051, Nov 15, 8:10am
BMW m325i E30, a modern classic that will hold it's value if not the appreciate.

magicmat, Nov 15, 8:13am
Yep another vote for this suggestion. You know, those crazy Americans have a habit of putting LS1's in to these (I think they call the MX5 the 'Miata'). just sayin'.

ralphdog1, Nov 15, 8:32am
After 8 years of puntingan MX5 around bought an S2k this year. Both would be a good option, the S2k provides many more opportunities to get into trouble in a hurry.
Bang for buck, especially if it is just a weekend fun car I'd vote MX5, never understood why Hairdressers should have all the fun :-)

horsepower7, Nov 15, 9:33am
s15 convertible haha

pollymay, Nov 15, 9:49am
MR2 as well, similar to the MX5. I prefer MR2 > MX5

trdbzr, Nov 15, 9:53am
Civic and Integra Type R, Nissan VZR, Toyota BZR, MX5, S2000, RX8

pollymay, Nov 15, 9:59am
Fwd are less fun with power for the street. They turn into tyre burners and after 300hp or so anything below 100clicks they will spin tyre if you punch it. They also need a good tight LSD to put down the power so then the front tends to push hard into understeer all the time, put your foot down to pull it round and they light it up even more.

Fracking annoying. Anything under 300 is usually fine though especially in say a light civic

vtecintegra, Nov 15, 10:25am
I'd look for a Japanese DC5 Type R - they're starting to get down to that price range, while the better DC2-Rs are keeping their value and in some cases increasing. Hardly worth it any more.

fordcrzy, Nov 15, 6:31pm
what you want is a 1998 "RS" MX5.they are 1800cc, SIX SPEED gearbox and come with lsd etc.all you need to do is throw in some good shocks and rubber and youll leave those ricers behind!:)

mm12345, Nov 15, 6:39pm
Apart from turbo - which the OP says he doesn't want - there's not much that can be done economically to hot up the engine(s).Not for any significant performance gain anyway.US miata.net forums are full of ideas, but half of them don't apply to NZ/jap import models anyway.