Do Mercs have temperature gauge!

mcscottwgtn, Nov 19, 6:27am
Took slk55 amg on holiday. The strange thing about this car is no temp gauge. I hold off on the boot until the motor is at normal operating temperature, but with the merc who knows how hot it is. Are all mercs like this. Never seen another one on the road, only the lower spec ones.
The kids across the road like to redline their motors within moments of starting. Its got to be good for the engine!
Any one know how to change the clock in one of these too! Its a 2006 model, the manual has gone west.

marcos1, Nov 19, 6:33am
It is not a Merc.
It is a Benz.

mcscottwgtn, Nov 19, 6:37am
I have always called this motor 'the merc' or the 'slk' if it may be confused with other mercs.

marcos1, Nov 19, 6:40am
The only "Merc" ever produced was the Ford Mercury. Forever known as a Merc,

What you have is called a benz.OK !

mcscottwgtn, Nov 19, 6:43am
Dont recall seeing any ford mercurys in nz, but probably see them in the states.

ladatrouble, Nov 19, 8:54am
Young fulla huh! '48 Merc - could take 4 families to the beach.

foxdonut, Nov 19, 10:05am
Likely its a toggle button on the wheel to display in the top half of the gauge cluster or possibly in the console. You'd really need to know what options you have installed (it'll be there, it may just need a different button pushed / held etc depending).

Try some of the Mercedes forums. You might also try emailing AMG directly, if you're lucky they may send you a digital copy of the owners manual.

richardmayes, Nov 19, 10:15am
Perhaps SLKs just don't overheat! Surely there would be a temp warning light somewhere that would come on if you started to cook it!

That's that "to be old and wise, first you must be young and stupid" thing you're always hearing about.

I've only ever seen a coupe of the AMG SLKs around but they clearly do exist. Drool. Beautiful cars, something for us mortals to aspire to.

(I followed an SL600 into town the other day, that had the number plate "NVMYSL" which I think means "I'm vain, and kinda insecure"!)

And I've always called them Mercs, FWIW.

lasertech, Nov 19, 8:50pm
No one calls the 'benz' so its a merc :)
The engine has built in limiters for when the engine is not up to temp to prevent over revving and being damaged during colder engine temps. It will not rev out fully etc until its safe. There may well be an instrument cluster digital temp gauge, as stated above you may need to toggle thru , but rest assured you will not be able to damage it.

asa50, Nov 20, 1:50am

delboy11, Nov 20, 10:32am
It`s called a "Mercedes Benz". Mercedes was the daughter of Karl Benz. Call the car the name it deserves, namely: "Mercedes Benz".

pat56, Nov 20, 10:53am
My Merc, 03 CAMG, has temp gauge on dash screen controlled by steering wheel buttons.

mcscottwgtn, Nov 21, 11:23pm
Thanks for your answers. Have tried the buttons on the wheel and dash. Sometimes the 'yellow triangle' appears after too much boot, think that indicates loss of traction which is very easy on this car. Guess the engine will tell you that it is hot, but my point is that it is sensible to wait until the engine reaches normal prior to applying too much boot. And if you have no indication, the driver is only guessing. One of the posters (lasertech) suggests the car wont allow over revving while cold, but I find this hard to believe. Is this on all 'mercs' or only the performance ones, amgs! What other cars have this feature!

rus_the_dallas, Nov 22, 12:02am
Mercedes was the daughter of a Daimler Motor Group client who bought the rights to name the car

bob1088, Mar 27, 5:08pm
Don`t know why but it annoys me when (most) people call them a Mercades - it`s actually Mercedes with the middle e pronounced - but I`m propably being as silly as marcos1 - every one knows what car you are talking about - my Merc SLK 32 AMG had the old analogue temp gauge - was 2003 though. SLK 55 of Coutts I thrashed around Taupo Track had a temp gauge.