Temp Gauge working slowly

glyn4, Dec 20, 11:23am
Hi, I have an old 1990 Toyota Corolla and the temp gauge is barely moving from cold even after a good run. Has anyone any idea what the problem could be or how I could fix it!. Will it maybe overheat the motor to keep running it with this problem! Ta.

jasongroves, Dec 20, 11:28am
I would start by checking whether the thermostat is stuck open.
Is the heater working correctly!
Idling normally!

unclejake, Dec 20, 11:29am
Have you checked the coolant level!

A temperature probe surrounded by air will take much longer to heat up that one surrounded by 'water'.

ginga4lyfe, Dec 20, 11:52am
Thats more than likley a thermostat problem as others have said, Its happened on my dads 93 corolla, and my 93 Caldina, at about this age the thermostats do crap out

kcf, Dec 21, 1:53am
I'd suggest also that you consider buying a Toyota genuine thermostat.I just bought a Repco one for my Corolla, and it really doesn't work.So I'm about to change it out for a genuine one, and hopefully that will see it running suitably warm again.

familiadude, Dec 21, 9:01am
genuine toyota thermostats arent very expensive either bought one for a glanza a few weeks back for $45 including the gasket which was $13

richardmayes, Dec 21, 9:13am
These Toyota thermostats sound pretty clever; every failed thermostat I've met has failed in the shut position, which seems a far worse way for it to go, to a layman like me.

ralphdog1, Dec 21, 9:17am
Weird, most are fail open by design I thought, the few I have had go have all been fail opens.