When you move to australia does your car licence

cowgirljo, Jan 17, 9:09pm
automatically transfer over!
Son is moving to Perth, he is part way thru getting his car licence.
Will he have to start from scratch when he gets there or can he just carry on from where he left off!

thetruedrbob, Jan 17, 9:13pm
http://www.transport.wa.gov.au/licensing/20669.asp

If you hold a driver's licence from a ???recognised country??

aboutpete, Jan 17, 9:21pm
If learners licence then they're not accepted by Aus rules, as when I was there with partner she wasn't allowed to drive there with a learners. Also the rules there are entirely different, even state to state they change, gets rather confusing. Left turn is Right (away) there. I went to do a three point turn in front of a cop coming the other way in Melbourne, sunday morning back st suburb. The cop pulled me over as apparently there, yer need 350 metres view when doing three point turn. Heck I said some don't even get that when coming out their drive, and that in NZ we are required 100 metres, and I had indicated, as cop breathing down my neck, as they do, when they're about! Or at least for me "I feel" they do! The cop ended by looking at a big huge folder on his dash, got back out out again(while my sister thruout, in the back seat, was saying I was going to get Booked) and he wished me a happy holiday, with no infringement.

1fordluva, Jan 17, 11:13pm
Yes my son did his in victoria changed from nz to aus as a learner

aboutpete, Jan 18, 9:33pm
Yeah we were only on holiday there, not staying, she wasn't allowed to drive, so obviously different the two scenarios if staying Aus. I still believe one with a NZ learners licence can't just go to Aus and hope in a car and drive it legally as pointed out here yer need to get a learners licence there before same, where as if you hold a full NZ drivers licence you can go straight away on their roads. So one still needs to apply to change where it's a learners.

1fordluva, Jan 5, 7:44am
Ring vic roads or queensland transport,they will tell you To come in and change it over,no test,the full liscense change over has some questions but not the learners.as you are learning.