Electric shocks from car.

terachaos, Nov 23, 2:53am
I'm not particularly car savvy, but need help with this. Every time I get in or out of the car I get zapped, and it's not much fun. Anyone suggest how I can fix this, please!

gemma165, Nov 23, 3:05am
me tooo ! *watches thread*

henderson_guy, Nov 23, 3:07am
Make sure you aren't parked on top of an electric fence!

unclejake, Nov 23, 3:13am
Although the vehicle can develop a 'static' charge from driving around, the problem is more that likely what you are wearing. See if it still happens wearing only cotton clothing

thejazzpianoma, Nov 23, 3:20am
You could try using a static strap on your car. I don't buy into them working for car sickness, preventing wars and ending world hunger but I have had some success with them for stopping shocks.

You don't have to pay a fortune for one and in past I have just made my own. It dosn't need to touch the ground while you are travelling so long as it touches when you stop.

Sometimes changing the seatcovers can help too.

Worth a try.

The other fail safe method is just to politely wait for your passenger to exit first : P

thunderbolt, Nov 23, 3:29am
Hold the door frame (metal) before you step onto the ground, this will eliminate shocks on exiting the car.

shuddupowh, Nov 23, 3:57am
I never get shocks but my partner always does.I just laugh.

countrypete, Nov 23, 4:11am
Hold the door frameASyou get out of the car.

unclejake, Nov 23, 5:05am
Does he wear nylon undies!

beblowin, Nov 23, 5:41am
wear rubber gloves when your driving

morrisman1, Nov 23, 5:47am
It will be you, not the car. You will get charged statically as you shimmy around on the seat. Try notice if it does it with all you clothes, and if it still shocks you then just drive naked

skin1235, Nov 23, 5:54am
as you twist around pushing the door open with one arm then swing your feet out and touch the ground etc, then as you reach for the door to lift yourself up from the seat you get that shock - just as you touch the steel part of the door
Honestly, if you had a firm grasp on the steel part first, then touch the ground, you will not feel any shock, change the habit, grab the door before dropping your feet to the ground
problem solved

skin1235, Nov 23, 5:59am
nylon, lycra, man made fibers are the worst, coupled with the synthetics we use for seat covers today, no wonder we create static, rub a plastic ruler in your hair and then wave it over a small scrap of paper - it will pick the paper up - thats the static charge; rub your plastic clothes on a plastic seat cover while you drive along - and no wonder we build up a static charge which we feel - some are more sensitive to it than others, some automatically earth it out by the habits they have learnt ( hold the door firmly etc)

the-lada-dude, Nov 23, 8:13pm
hold onto the steel door frame, it's what the others have being saying so hold onto the steel door frame and dive nackered with no car seats and always carry a passenger
if you drive forward you get a +ve charge, so if you drive in reverse back the way you came it will be a -ve charge,these different charges will cancel each other out ! so when you exit the vehicle you won't have to hold onto the metal door,yes !

sifty, Nov 23, 8:29pm
yep, static can build up to thousands of volts when two dissimilar materials are rubbed together (eg wool and nylon) and dry air such as in an air conditioned car can make the effects worse.

You could try touching the glass window before exiting as a 'no spark' method of discharging any static build-up.

the-lada-dude, Nov 23, 8:45pm
yeah ! hold onto that steel door frame

marte, Nov 24, 2:30am
I thought it had something to do with nylon tires.

Replace them with steel belt tires!

sifty, Apr 7, 9:09am
yep, static can build up to thousands of volts when two dissimilar materials are rubbed together (eg wool and nylon) and dry air such as in an air conditioned car can make the effects worse. Generally women find it more than men because of the type of clothing they wear.

If you don't want to change your undies you could try touching the glass window before exiting as a 'no spark' method of discharging any static build-up.