Older Volvo Penta 55HP outboard.

mekongmike, Jan 20, 10:41pm
x1
I have this (probably 1980's) 3 cylinder Volver Penta Outboard.
What is likely to be the petrol / oil mixture ratio !

Thanks,

Mike

d.snell, Jan 21, 5:07am
50:1

It's probably an Archimedes Penta, Volvo Penta is a stern drive.
It will probably have Penta 550 Offshore or similar on it.

BTW, just a bit of history, a 22-ft Cresta Capricorn hull with twin Archimedes Penta 550 Offshore outboard motors named "Penta Cresta" broke the record for circumnavigation of New Zealand by a runabout. 1973 by Brian Pearce and Fred Davis

ml6989, Jan 21, 8:56am
#2 you have a good memory. I knew Fred Davis, he was a good boating friend of my late father. Fred died in 1979 aged 80, so he was no spring chook when he did the circumnavagation of NZ at age 73.

d.snell, Jan 17, 4:14pm
I remember it because about 1980 I had a 13ft Savage Avenger with a Penta 450 Offshore on the back. Even then, there wasn't a lot around and did a bit of research on them and found out about the record.
They were a great motor and extremely economical and quiet. From memory, at 3/4 throttle I was using about 1 1/2 gallons per hour and ticking along at over 30 knots. They were also rated at the prop, rather than the crank, so a 45 HP was the equivalent to a 65 merc. Well, that's what we were told and performance tended to collaborate this. I remember seeing an ad somewhere that if you could find another production motor that could beat it on economy, they would pay you $1,000 or something.
They were sold under the "Crescent" badge as well. A lot of parts were interchangeable and ours was converted from short shaft to long shaft using Crescent parts. Also the electric start motor was off a crescent. There was a marine dealer in Blenheim who also had a lot of spares. Probably defunct by now.