Volvo S80T6 Brake Booster removal

sub13, May 26, 7:23am
Does anyone know how to remove the brake booster.

pollymay, May 26, 7:24am
I suggest tools

sr2, May 26, 7:35am
It??

sub13, May 26, 7:36am
Well I guess you have no idea "Pollymay".

sr2, May 26, 7:37am

sub13, May 26, 7:39am
Thanks SR2. Ive read these sites but was thinking of somone who may have actually removed one.

sr2, May 26, 8:17am
It looks very straightfoward to me; if you're still hesitant about tackling the project on your own I'd recomend you use a profesional. The job could be easily knocked out by your local mechanic within a couple of hours.

by_hdt, May 26, 11:10am
I work on volvos and have done a few, pretty straightfoward until the point where you have to lower the engine about 6-7cm. you will need a hoist and 2 jacks. disconnect the steering shaft, remove the bolt holding the top stabiliser mount to the strut brace. on models with the T6 engine it is necessary to remove one or two of the turbo charge air pipes. place jacks at front and rear of the subframe and slacken off the 4 large and remove the 4 small subframe bolts and SLOWLY lower the subframe down evenly. dont forget to check all hoses, pipes and wiring for excessive stress. some things may need to be disconnected to get the engine low enough.

Even with the engine lowered it is very tight to remove on some models, extreme care is necessary as the booster is easily damaged.

Note the instructions in the link above are for the LHD version, LHD cars dont have the engine in the way as the brake booster is on the opposite side. You do not need to move the ABS pump.

sr2, May 26, 9:20pm
Sounds like a mission! I'd like to see the reasons for the OP's diagnosis of a booster problem, with the work involved in swapping it out a second opinion would do no harm.

by_hdt, May 27, 6:24am
its a reasonably common thing for the boosters to fail, first warning is a hissing noise from under the dash.

sr2, May 27, 6:33am
I'd be interested in knowing what usually fails in them.

sub13, Apr 7, 11:15pm
Thanks all. Im going to give it a go myself. Yes, it is hissing inside the car. I reached under the dash and felt a rubber gaiter or something where the booster comes through the bulkhead. It felt like the gaiter came of it housing and when I put it back on there was no noise but this didnt last too long. Thanks again.