Volvo 5 cyl engines

Page 1 / 3
the-lada-dude, Dec 10, 10:10pm
any experts out there !
are N/A heads same as turbo
is an old model eng same as late model !
the basic eng i mean,block/head

thejazzpianoma, Dec 10, 10:46pm
Dude, I am far from an expert. However this is a little bit about how I "think" it all works.
Old and new heads will be different as I am pretty sure the old heads did not have variable valve timing. On the new heads I have a funny feeling that the variable valve timing is different on the turbo and non-turbo. The heads I have noticed seem to have provision for variable valve timing on both intake and exhaust but one is usually blocked off.
As crazy as it sounds I think the variable valve timing is fitted only to exhaust on the turbo and only to the intake on the N/A. happy to be proven wrong on this though.

Its possible the block is the same on old and new but I don't know. There are also a few different displacements on those 5 Cylinder engines so you would need to see whether this is done with bore or stroke.

Nice engines though, what is it you are trying to achieve!

mlh19658, Dec 10, 10:57pm
Wouldn't ever go near Volvo. Ever, ever, ever again. NEVER. Expensive lemons beyond reason/bank balance to repair and maintain.
In fact, Jap is best. IMHO.

bill-robinson, Dec 10, 11:01pm
used to run a rallycross car in Europe against them.1000hp plus but did not want to go around corners. Very spectacular and reliable Sorry cant help with the original query.Bill

thejazzpianoma, Dec 10, 11:14pm
This is just weird.
Parts are a little dearer in NZ but only because of a lack of 3rd party importers. Volvo's as a whole though are very reliable and the S40 has consistently shown in surveys/tests to be one of the most reliable modern cars available.

the-lada-dude, Dec 10, 11:50pm
thanks jazz ,
ta fellas,
19992ltroverheat .gasket gone, do these heads crack / lose their
temper / hardness !it's just if it is buggered , can i find replacement at reasonable cost or graft a diff model head on !

thejazzpianoma, Dec 10, 11:56pm
What Volvo is it! 99 was a transitional time for some models.
Not sure on the warping etc but havn't heard anything to suggest they are prone to sadness, there are some great international Volvo forums I have used form time to time when I am stuck though. Might be of use if you have no further luck here.

franc123, Dec 11, 12:50am
Would only partially agree, Volvos make sense in Europe but far less so here.No doubt as with most Euro makes there will be a reasonably cheap parts supply out of the UK, be it direct with suppliers or via Ebay for most things you might need without difficulty but generally speaking you are right they are not a good choice in this part of the world, there isn't and never has been enough of them sold to generate any sort of aftermarket support for them in parts AND tech services.When you get a problem where you need to replace a large expensive part like the OP has got then you are in big trouble unless you can track down some nutter in Dargaville or Masterton or Westport or Gore who's got 12 of them sitting in sheds and paddocks and knows them inside out and backwards and is keen to help a fellow owner.they do exist.

thejazzpianoma, Dec 11, 12:59am
I disagree franc123,
We have significantly more Volvo's in the country than Fiats and the number is growing. There are two large, long term well established 3rd party new and used Fiat parts suppliers in the north island that are thriving.

With at least twice as many Volvos on our roads as Fiats I think its just a matter of time and we will get the excellent 3rd party genuine new and used parts support we get with the likes of Fiat with Volvo's.

You are correct there are lots of suppliers like FCP Groton who will sell you genuine parts online for a song.

In these days of overnight couriers there is no need for every town to have a Volvo wreckers, especially given how reliable these vehicles are. I am yet to need to purchase a secondhand Volvo part and so far any new part I have required was either available locally or overnight. That said I usually choose to save some money and order overseas.

franc123, Dec 11, 1:05am
They're still relatively rare compared to BMW 3's, your favourite VW Golfs and Passats, and even the more mainstream Peugeot models, disagree if you want to but I feel its still something that buyers need to be aware of when considering a Volvo.

thejazzpianoma, Dec 11, 1:11am
I agree at present buyers do need to be aware of the situation, mainly its the extra cost issue for NZ parts as opposed to availability. The only availability issue is perhaps secondhand parts but thats not usually an issue.

All I am saying is that if two major Fiat suppliers can survive on half the population of vehicles then we can support at least two major Volvo suppliers.

Agreed there are a lot more VAG cars on the road than Volvo's but thats the case in any country. (except perhaps Sweden!). Remember VW is the worlds second largest (and soon to be largest) manufacturer of vehicles.

the-lada-dude, Dec 11, 1:23am
thanks again fellas, i'll check on that groton web site.

bill robinson, if it wasn't benettonwho was it !

mlh19658, Dec 11, 2:47am
Sorry jazz, you don't convince me. You work for a Euro dealer!
Best way to describe Volvo cars in my opinion is high quality rubbish.

thejazzpianoma, Dec 11, 2:52am
Nope, just have one in the family which I service/repair.

BTW with regard to "high quality rubbish", you might find this webpage interesting:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Oxymoron

bill-robinson, Dec 11, 2:53am
Benetton in rallycross!nah not likely. I had it wrong as well, they were Audi quattros not Volvos. sorry about that.

thejazzpianoma, Dec 11, 2:55am
BTW, mlh19658 what Volvo or Volvo's did you have and what went wrong!
Sounds like you have had an off putting experience. Wouldn't surprise me if it was trouble with a dealer/service agent, the local one here dosn't even recognize the fair trading act.

thejazzpianoma, Dec 11, 2:57am
bill-robinson,
If you are still about, were you wanting the Dunlop camber/castor gauge to actually use!

mlh19658, Dec 11, 2:58am
Well aware what an Oxy is.
Lets just agree I think Volvo is hi-end junk and you have your own opinion.
Work for you

thejazzpianoma, Dec 11, 3:01am
Its all good mlh, I just enjoy a good "discussion"

bill-robinson, Dec 11, 3:27am
Sure do.Have you got one you are not using and want to sell!

pollymay, Dec 11, 3:55am
I never found them *too* bad to work on. They have some quirks but they certainly aren't the money pits some make them out to be. I had parts troubles with my es300/windom which was a goddamn camry, no one stocked bits when I wanted which was pretty dumb really.

For the price compared to other cars they are alright. Not some untold motoring secret bargain but still fine. Plenty of mitsis and such running around with expensive AYC issues and such as well even being jap.

daryl14, Dec 11, 3:56am
Hey Alex from Te Puke, could you please drop me a line!

usdefault, Dec 11, 4:12am
What size motor are you talking about!

Anyhow this link may help:

http://volvospeed.com/vs_forum/topic/146055-lets-talk-heads/page__hl__difference%20heads

thejazzpianoma, Dec 11, 4:20am
Sadly no but I have found you can easily make your own one using one of these and some alloy/steel.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Digital-Bevel-Box-Gauge-Angle-Protractor-Inclinometer-/250897386071!pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item3a6aa64a57

The other thing I have noticed with some of the older units is that they sometimes don't have enough castor adjustment for newer vehicles with lots of castor (especially mercedes).

Might not be of a lot of help but thought it was worth mentioning.

Sorry if I am preaching to the converted (you already have used one so likely know what you are doing) but I take it you know the other tricks about using floor tiles to level your garage floor and using some lube between the tiles to turn them into turn plates!

thejazzpianoma, Dec 11, 4:22am
Done via your listing.